BFK's Music Corner

• 26 Replies

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« on: January 27, 2018, 04:32:42 pm »
I am starting this thread for anyone who wants to delve a little deeper into the aesthetics and/or the "Tekne" of the music in which he/she is interested. "Tekne" talk could range from the tech of musical instruments (love the Moog synthesizer!) to virtuosity to music theory.

I'm a very inactive amateur pianist these days, but I still have some  vestigial chops. I think my ear is improving, simply due to the fact that I listen to so much music. Right now, I'm listening to a compilation of Mozart piano concertos pretty steadily and I'm gaining an appreciation for the brilliance of the classical formal structure. Three movements; fast-slow-fast; each movement states a theme, develops it, then returns to it. That's a wild oversimplification, of course, and there are other formal structures (suite based on dance forms, e.g.). But one always knows where one is and where one is going. Timeless music.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:31:11 pm »
Not sure I could keep up with such a conversation anymore but...

- I started with piano for a year and a half, got skilled enough to play limited recitals at 9.
- Did violin for a year at 10-11, played a bunch of concerts with the other students under my teacher.
- Did various orchestral percussion camps for a couple summers.
- A different instrument/section almost every semester I was enrolled in high school: percussion, trombone, alto-sax, flute, trumpet, violin again.
- Tried to re-up on the violin in my second year of university and did a full year elective credit but didn't stick with it thereafter.
- Took four years of private electric bass lessons throughout as well.

I pretty much was imbued with the Baroque period when I was a kid.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 12:22:21 am »
I don't want to give the impression that some level of technical accomplishment is necessary to participate in the conversation. Deep end, shallow end; just jump in!

Although, if it somehow gets to Three Pound Blog level of difficulty....I'd be rummaging around for my old music theory texts: "As Fux in 'Counterpoint' declares....". No, no, no....let's just talk music!

I'm thinking the thread could be more leisurely than the "Obligatory Music Thread". More long-form posts. That allows the OMT to be a home for quick recommendations (emphasizing the "now").
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 03:41:00 am »
I play guitar. I'm really bad at it, but slowly improving. I have no songs yet, only a couple of riffs I need to stitch together.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 04:19:42 am »
I play guitar. I'm really bad at it, but slowly improving. I have no songs yet, only a couple of riffs I need to stitch together.
Are you playing acoustic guitar, or electric? Either way, stick with it. Listen to other guitarists. Copy from the good, steal from the best, then make it your own.

Stitching riffs together....ahhh, that's where the shit gets interesting! (Sometimes that's where the shit hits the fan, but hey, that's showbiz!)

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 04:43:36 am »
Are you playing acoustic guitar, or electric? Either way, stick with it. Listen to other guitarists. Copy from the good, steal from the best, then make it your own.

Stitching riffs together....ahhh, that's where the shit gets interesting! (Sometimes that's where the shit hits the fan, but hey, that's showbiz!)
I have one of each, but I suppose your question is whether I play with fingers or a pick. I play with a plectre, because metal  8). I try to practice every day for at least 30 minutes. The dream would be to get good enough and have enough material to release an EP or something a year or two from now.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 11:18:31 am »

I have one of each, but I suppose your question is whether I play with fingers or a pick. I play with a plectre, because metal  8). I try to practice every day for at least 30 minutes. The dream would be to get good enough and have enough material to release an EP or something a year or two from now.
Does a guitarist gain speed and accuracy of attack by using a pick?

As a keyboardist, I've always been fascinated by the guitar. The multiple ways of playing the same pitch is so foreign to a pianist.

Live the dream!

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 01:49:50 pm »

As a keyboardist, I've always been fascinated by the guitar. The multiple ways of playing the same pitch is so foreign to a pianist.

Live the dream!
You certainly gain speed! Other than that, it just unlocks a different set of options and it's easier to learn. Can't really tremolo pick sweet chords with fingers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO1VL09nWrU
For me the thing that stands out most when comparing piano and guitar is sustain of tones. One of my favorite things in music is "evil" arpeggios with minor seconds and they sound quite different on piano and guitar. More of a screechy sound on guitar.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 04:21:16 pm »

Live the dream!
You certainly gain speed! Other than that, it just unlocks a different set of options and it's easier to learn. Can't really tremolo pick sweet chords with fingers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO1VL09nWrU
For me the thing that stands out most when comparing piano and guitar is sustain of tones. One of my favorite things in music is "evil" arpeggios with minor seconds and they sound quite different on piano and guitar. More of a screechy sound on guitar.
I'm guessing that the enhanced sustain of an amplified guitar tone makes those minor seconds really squeal, compared to a piano (even with the sustain pedal engaged). How far do you take those arpeggios? One octave? Two?

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 04:47:40 am »
Two new arrivals from across the water landed chez BFK last week.

1. A box set of "Bruford: 1977-1980". My favorite jazz-rock fusion band (with an English twist).

2. English electric guitarist Steve Hackett's latest live concert DVD, "Wuthering Heights; Live In Birmingham". I've got about 5 of these concerts in my collection. He goes from strength to strength; excellent band, excellent music!

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 09:46:50 pm »

Live the dream!
I'm guessing that the enhanced sustain of an amplified guitar tone makes those minor seconds really squeal, compared to a piano (even with the sustain pedal engaged). How far do you take those arpeggios? One octave? Two?
Not sure, I guess one or two. Was referring to riffs like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFOnMjo6N6c&t=4m11s

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 03:23:29 am »

Live the dream!
Not sure, I guess one or two. Was referring to riffs like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFOnMjo6N6c&t=4m11s
Got the idea now. I'd imagine that you could execute those minor seconds on adjacent strings to really make an evil sound. Get both notes sustaining......whew!

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 12:04:06 am »
This miight be one for you BFK. There are many versions of the Cherubic Hymn/Cherubikon/Kheruvimskaya Pesn etc., but thisi is easiily the best one I've found, and II had to spend liike 2 hours searchiing for it to put ini my new classiical playlisit since youtube deleted my old account https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdaI4ksLl1Y

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 04:00:23 am »
This miight be one for you BFK. There are many versions of the Cherubic Hymn/Cherubikon/Kheruvimskaya Pesn etc., but thisi is easiily the best one I've found, and II had to spend liike 2 hours searchiing for it to put ini my new classiical playlisit since youtube deleted my old account https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdaI4ksLl1Y
That is the nicest gift, Tleilaxu....that is extremely cool of you to share that with me. Russian Orthodox (?), a vocal group from Belarus. Wow, that is beautiful!

In return, here's a motet from the Roman Catholic tradition: "Sicut Cervus", by Palestrina, sung by the Cambridge Singers. Our church choir* sings it regularly.

https://youtu.be/0yd5EE0hAB8

*btw, I just rejoined the choir!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 07:16:55 pm »
love choral music, especially when its in any language I can't understand - so anything that's not english.
One of the other conditions of possibility.