Last time you mentioned Bakker or the Second Apocalypse?

• 40 Replies

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 02:54:57 pm »
Are you a polylinguist?

I'm not sure if you've personally researched it then but I'm interested in what you feel your constraints are.

Well, English is not my native language but I've mastered to such an extent (at least in writing, my accent is far from perfect) that I can pass for a native speaker. I also speak German. When I was younger, I learnt Russian and French, but I never perfected them, mostly due to lack of time. But I can steal read Russian and roughly understand what it's all about. And I'm thinking of learning something else altogether, maybe Spanish, maybe Swedish... well, I might do that when I retire.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 07:07:07 pm »
That is very cool :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 10:21:45 am »
Since you were specifically part of the initial thoughts, do you think that you'd be down to consent at some point in the relative future to be a guest member on the podcast ;)?
Sure. It will be audio-only, though, and timing is dependant on my work schedule. Some time in July/August would probably be best.

So perhaps you could ask her (if she knows) what are some current in-use tropes by feminist-friendly writers (gendered whatever) and maybe some comparison literature she would recommend.
I'll ask. I gather she's not generally too impressed with the current crop of 'deliberately feminist' writers, though. I do know Robin Hobb/Megan Lindholm is her favourite fantasy and sci-fi author, for whatever that's worth.

Lol. Did she finish it?
Oh yes. I don't recall her ever not finishing a book once she's started, even if she hates it.

Have you checked out the discussion in Disciple of the Dog
I haven't, and I won't until I've actually read the book.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 01:36:08 pm »
Sure. It will be audio-only, though, and timing is dependant on my work schedule. Some time in July/August would probably be best.

That's awesome.

I'm not sure how closely you read the intervening conversation but audio-only was always the plan for release. On the recording itself it's actually unnecessary to use real identification beyond our membership here (as we're finding a program like TeamSpeak, if you are familiar with gaming chat servers). Though, I very much like FB's idea of making it about the members and the books, as Bakker fandom is individually both interesting and knowledgeable.

And absolutely, it's about guest comfort, whenever, however, is fine :).

I do know Robin Hobb/Megan Lindholm is her favourite fantasy and sci-fi author, for whatever that's worth.

Sweet.

Oh yes. I don't recall her ever not finishing a book once she's started, even if she hates it.

A dedicated person.

Have you checked out the discussion in Disciple of the Dog
I haven't, and I won't until I've actually read the book.

That is a shame. You want a copy of Disciple sent to you?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 07:02:40 pm »
If anyone has any specific questions you want me to ask her, I'm happy to pass them on. We have discussed the books previously, though, obviously.
I'll go with a corny, yet still important one: Who was her favorite character? :)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 07:19:28 pm »
I feel that everyone who read the books and enjoyed them should make a username and have a presence here... but that's just me.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 10:00:03 pm »
Thanks, but I didn't say I didn't own a copy, just that I haven't read it yet. I have a waist-high stack of books next to my bed to wade through, and Disciple is in there somewhere. I just need to find some way of increasing the number of hours in the day beyond the sadly inadequate twenty-four, so that I have more time to read. Or maybe I should just give up on sleep altogether... :-\ :P

I'll go with a corny, yet still important one: Who was her favorite character? :)
I'll ask. If we're lucky, she might actually be able to remember the character's name. I assume you'll want me to ask why as well?

I feel that everyone who read the books and enjoyed them should make a username and have a presence here... but that's just me.
Just how small do you think Bakker's readership is? :o
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 10:32:21 pm »

Just how small do you think Bakker's readership is? :o

Well how many books has he sold? 500k?
5 books so far, 100k each.

So at max around 100k people. But I think many people bought multiple copies and distribute them... So more like 80k, But those are just people who bought books, not people who might have liked the books.

So cut that in half, and you get a nice round 40k fans, total, worldwide.

Perhaps the server can't handle that many :P but it would be nice to get them all here.

edit:
which makes a Bakker fan about 1 in million (ok more like 6 in a million )
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:44:38 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 12:45:40 pm »
Thanks, but I didn't say I didn't own a copy, just that I haven't read it yet. I have a waist-high stack of books next to my bed to wade through, and Disciple is in there somewhere. I just need to find some way of increasing the number of hours in the day beyond the sadly inadequate twenty-four, so that I have more time to read. Or maybe I should just give up on sleep altogether... :-\ :P

It'll take you all of two hours to read, fool (assuming you are also an avid reader).

I've found that forgoing a social life altogether can work wonders ;). But don't miss sleep. Way too important.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 12:11:51 am »
I can't read that fast!

Besides, surely you want to chew each mouthful 42 times? If only to pad out the wait between books!

Just joking around :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 02:07:36 pm »
Lol - well, the Japanese say thirty bites...

Two hours was in jest (I actually try and stop myself from speed-reading as much as what I do isn't actually that moreso than just a lifelong habit). But surely Duskweaver could read Disciple in a short afternoon - though, I actually also work stop myself from reading in one sitting on the first time...
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer