ARC: TWP Chapter 11

• 1 Replies

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« on: October 09, 2018, 06:53:48 pm »
If all human events possess purpose, then all human deeds possess purpose.  And yet when men vie with men, the purpose of no man comes to fruition: the result always falls somewhere in between.  The purpose of deeds, then, cannot derive from the purposes of men, because all vie with all men.  This means the deeds of men must be willed by something other than men.  From this it follows that we are all slaves.
Who then is our Master?
- MEMGOWA, THE BOOK OF DIVINE ACTS

What is practicality but one moment betrayed for the next?
- TRIAMIS I, JOURNALS AND DIALOGUES
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:09:32 pm by TheCulminatingApe »
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 08:22:01 pm »
The Holy War arrives in Shigek, at first peacefully, but soon this turns into massacre.

Two weeks passed, the suddenly, as though some precise measure had been executed, the madness lifted.  In the end, only a fraction of the Shigeki population had been killed, but no traveller could pass more than an hour without crossing paths with the dead.  Instead of the humble boats of fishermen and traders, bloated corpses bobbed down the defiled waters of the Sempis and fanned out across the Meneanor Sea.
At long last, Shigek had been cleansed.

Kellhus meets Akka on top of a ziggurat.  He implies he is worried about Serwe being unfaithful.
Of all the souls Kellhus had mastered, few had proven as useful as Serwe.  Lust and shame were ever the shortest paths to the hearts of world-born men.  Ever since he'd sent her to Achamian the sorceror had compensated for his half-remembered trespass in innumerable subtle ways.  The old Conriyan proverb was true: no friend was more generous than the one who has seduced your wife...

He probes Akka with questions and statements, all intended to lead him towards the desired destination.
"So I'm your cause?" Kellhus said incredulously.  "I'm the Truth that justifies your fanaticism?"
Achamian could only stare in dread.  Plundering the man's expression, Kellhus watched the inferences splash and trickle through his soul, drawn of their own weight to a single, inexorable conclusion.
Everything... By his own admission, he must yield everything.
Even the Gnosis.
How powerful have you become, Father?

There's a bit too much 'tell' in some of the Kellhus POVs for my liking.  I'd rather be shown, I thin kit makes for better writing.

Martemus considers himself a practical man.  His approach to life is see, appraise, act.  Until he met Kellhus.  He attends one of Kellhus' sermons, and the words ring true to him.  He speaks with Kellhus, who has haloed hands.  Someone tries to stab Kellhus, but fails and is pummelled by 'the mobs'.

Conphas has gone to see Proyas.  He wants something to be done about Kellhus - to charge him with blasphemy.
Martemus believs Kellhus...
But then, that was the problem.  Martemus wasn't a fool.  Conphas could scare imagine anyone less foolish... That was precisely the problem.

Proyas has been told by Kellhus that the man who tried to kill him was a Nansur officer.
Conphas stared at the man blankly, realising he'd been duped.  All those questions... Proyas had asked them in order to implicate him, to see whether or not he had motive.  Conphas cursed himself for a fool.  Fanatic or not, Nersei Proyas was not a man to be underestimated.
This is becoming a nightmare.

Was the 'assassin' really Nansur, or is Kellhus up to his tricks?

Conphas then tells Martemus that the general will kill Kellhus.
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.