• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

Francis Buck

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 07:09:18 am »
Well, probably the weirdest one I have, even though it's rather "obvious", is House of Leaves. But that's a relatively well-known and very much intentionally weird book, in just about every way imaginable, so I feel like it doesn't count.

As far as "weird" in a straight-up obscure and/or bizarre sense, two come to mind. First is The Mafia Cookbook, which includes supposedly real recipes from actual mafiosos -- what can I say, I was raised Italian.

The other is a pseudo-autobiographical, New Age mysticism, self-help...thing, written by the father of an old friend of mine. He (the father/author) is one of the strangest and most fascinating people I've ever known, both in good ways and bad ways. Beside being a multimillionaire tree-farmer, he was (and may still be? I honestly don't know) the leader of an internet cult that, so far as I can tell, combined Quakerism with a bunch of old school hippie shit.

The book is called Something More, and begins with this guy describing one of his earliest memories from growing up on a farm in Gettysburg, wherein his arm was ran over by a tractor and he slipped into what he believed was some state of "higher being" for a few moments. To be fair, he really did get his arm ran over by mechanized farming equipment when he was little. I can't vouch for anything else. ;)

Also, I believe he wrote a sequel called Something Else, which I must say is a hilarious follow-up title, though I don't think it was meant to be so.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:12:09 am by Francis Buck »

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 06:49:45 pm »
So, I have a small collection of very strange poems by a guy who is almost definitely mentally ill. I bought it for a buck on a sale because I happened to know the said poet - he was notorious on our university, he would appear out of the blue at classes or lectures and ask strange questions. Everybody knew him or knew about him, we all treated him as a harmless freak - but just a few months ago he was arrested for false bomb alarms that at one point paralysed several courts and other institutions in our city. So not so harmless after all.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake