[TUC Spoilers]The effects of Chorae

• 37 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 10:06:42 pm »
I think she just miscalculated. It happens even to full Dunyain. Why not to a halfbreed? I'm pretty sure little Kel was being locked up with his uncles during this anyway.

The way the 100th Chorae comes out of nowhere seems too reminiscent of Sorweel's Chorae for it to be a coincidence, though, even if it wasn't Kelmomas using it. I believe that if she had miscalculated the original number, the wording would be somewhat different.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 10:30:36 pm »
I think she just miscalculated. It happens even to full Dunyain. Why not to a halfbreed? I'm pretty sure little Kel was being locked up with his uncles during this anyway.

Samesies 8).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 11:05:46 pm »
On an aside note I was shocked to find after being basically a nonentity for over half this series Serwa ended but being one of my favorite characters. Bakker's pacing is so...odd.

littlegrice

• Suthenti
  • Mandati
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 11:24:24 pm »
On an aside note I was shocked to find after being basically a nonentity for over half this series Serwa ended but being one of my favorite characters. Bakker's pacing is so...odd.

I read somewhere that Bakker was reading one of the Song of Ice and Fire books, and realized that Martin had made a bunch of new characters mostly because he was bored of the old ones.  Bakker realized he had, and was, doing the same thing in the Aspect Emperor.  I don't remember when he had this revelation, but maybe it made him slow his roll as far as rolling out substantive traits and plot points for his new characters, and instead hoarding them until the very end, and, presumably, the No-God series.

Or maybe he really really REALLY likes fucking with us.  So, like a 50/50 chance? :D
Well, he no talkie good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to 'TELL ME...' and 'WHAT DO YOU SEE?' and, 'WHAT AM I?' Exclusively in that order.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 11:26:56 pm »
Unfortunately if that was his aim he's nonetheless forced himself into a situation that demands a large number of new characters, and old tertiary ones being promoted to main characters. Either that or the dead are gonna start rising a lot for some reason.

littlegrice

• Suthenti
  • Mandati
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 11:33:01 pm »
It seemed at first in the Judging Eye that he was going to be headed in the generational direction, i.e. the old characters were now more scenery and plot points than characters, but he zigged on us, going back to almost ALL the old characters AS characters.  The only ones of the Old Guard left though is Achamian, and, if you count her, Esmenet.  Gotta have some new blood, or at the very least, some new POVs of TAE characters in the No-God.  No matter what, though, very much looking forward to the end of the world.
Well, he no talkie good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to 'TELL ME...' and 'WHAT DO YOU SEE?' and, 'WHAT AM I?' Exclusively in that order.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 11:37:52 pm »
I didn't mind that. I mean, it had been a generation. It makes sense to shift the focus. In that way and a few other TJE and TWLW feel more like a different series from Prince of Nothing than TGO and TUC.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 01:47:00 am »
I read somewhere that Bakker was reading one of the Song of Ice and Fire books, and realized that Martin had made a bunch of new characters mostly because he was bored of the old ones.  Bakker realized he had, and was, doing the same thing in the Aspect Emperor.  I don't remember when he had this revelation, but maybe it made him slow his roll as far as rolling out substantive traits and plot points for his new characters, and instead hoarding them until the very end, and, presumably, the No-God series.

New R. Scott Bakker interview

EDIT:

I didn't mind that. I mean, it had been a generation. It makes sense to shift the focus. In that way and a few other TJE and TWLW feel more like a different series from Prince of Nothing than TGO and TUC.

I do wonder what you'll make of TAE as a whole, Sharmat, whenever you're compelled to read it as one. I think Bakker did remarkably well, especially with the five year gap - I thought there'd be a much clearer change in style between WLW and TGO. I really only noticed the prevalent use of "a fraction" (in POVs besides the Survivor's where it made stylistic sense) instead of the mixed metaphors for thoughts and states of mind he'd used up until TGO, the inconsistency across the series in capitalizing proper names (a whole bunch in TGO and TUC seem to be capitalized which previously weren't), and... there was a third thing... I can't remember off the top of my head but it'll come back to me. It's documented somewhere else on this monument as well.

For me, basically - and I might be saying this because it's fairly fresh in my mind - TSA is doing something structurally akin to The Wire. TAE is just zoomed out a little more than PON. It's fairly obvious that certain readers don't like that - if I recall correctly, the union storyline in S2 alienated a whole bunch of people who just aren't into that kind of story-telling (I happen to love it).

Body More, Murder Land (Baltimore, Maryland as a piece of graffiti tells it in the show) is a complicated place as is Earwa.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 02:16:21 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer