carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 02:58:39 pm »
Intelligence doesn’t make someone more likely to change their mind. People with higher IQs are better at crafting arguments to support a position—but only if they already agree with it.
I knew it!

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 03:12:46 pm »
Intelligence doesn’t make someone more likely to change their mind. People with higher IQs are better at crafting arguments to support a position—but only if they already agree with it.
I knew it!

Does he mean that these people are only better at crafting arguments for positions that they already believe in? In other words, is their prior belief necessary for the creation of the arguments? Or is he making an intentional point about motivation?
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 11:47:17 pm »
I knew it!

Does he mean that these people are only better at crafting arguments for positions that they already believe in? In other words, is their prior belief necessary for the creation of the arguments? Or is he making an intentional point about motivation?

I think he's saying those with higher IQ's know they have higher IQ's and that psychological experience of knowing you have a higher IQ lends to greater confidence in what you believe to be true.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 12:03:53 am »
Quote from:  TaoHorror
I think he's saying those with higher IQ's know they have higher IQ's and that psychological experience of knowing you have a higher IQ lends to greater confidence in what you believe to be true.

Exactly! Like I said, I've talked to many people in my days that are highly intelligence. And, like I said, when they underestimate you,, they will form arguments to fit their view, wether they make sense or not, believing they can Bullshit you. Higher IQ people believe they are right and will not waiver from their opinion, even if you prove them wrong with strong evidence. Funny, because I just mentioned this here in a post not long ago.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 07:04:25 am »
I knew it!

I think it just means that intelligent people are just as blind to themselves, on average.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 01:47:53 pm »
I knew it!

I think it just means that intelligent people are just as blind to themselves, on average.
Well, Tleilaxu, "changing one's mind" is clearly an act of will and requires some kind of motivation, regardless of intelligence. I'm pretty smart, and I've changed my mind on the importance of religion, the aesthetics of rock music, and the designated hitter rule.

Regardless, the writer was unclear, I think you'll agree.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:51:40 pm by BeardFisher-King »
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 05:07:00 pm »
Did anyone read through to the citation?

Also, this!
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 06:31:56 pm »
Actually, Madness, I never clicked on the link in your OP. I was simply asking a question about the quote embedded in Tleilaxu's post.

Cheers!
-BFK

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 07:21:37 pm »
I never clicked on the link in your OP. I was simply asking a question about the quote embedded in Tleilaxu's post.
I find most writers unclear when I don't ... you know ... actually read the writing.
Knowing the context of something before jumping into the middle of it is usually helpful - I think you'll agree.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 07:38:17 pm »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 08:06:34 pm »
I never clicked on the link in your OP. I was simply asking a question about the quote embedded in Tleilaxu's post.
I find most writers unclear when I don't ... you know ... actually read the writing.
Knowing the context of something before jumping into the middle of it is usually helpful - I think you'll agree.

Wilshire, I was specifically commenting on what appeared to be point #35 of 74 points. If my assumption that what Tleilaxu excised from the full article was sufficient in itself is wrong, so be it. Tleilaxu apparently believed that what he quoted didn't require extensive context.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 08:16:43 pm »
Huh? I was just commenting on comment #6 and #8 here. I didn't mean to call you out specifically - sorry if that was confusing.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 10:29:43 pm »
Probably tleilaxu should have included the citation linked in that entry in his quote:

The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 06:10:12 pm »
Actually I didn't even read the article, but now after having read (skimmed) the article I still can't see how the short conclusion is ambiguous compared to the article.