Side Effects of Eating Sranc

• 169 Replies

The2ndUtteralString

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: December 05, 2013, 01:49:24 am »
"Henceforth, our very foe shall sustain us..."
The dread command had been given, at long last.
"Henceforth, we eat Sranc."

Many have already begun to speculate on what this might do to the Great Ordeal:
In the case of Sranc though, I really feel like that's going to have some horrible, grotesque negative effect in the long run. Eating Srancflesh is just way too freaking ominous. Maybe it will almost be like crack to the Nonman's cocaine?
Um... Huge +1.
Quote from: bbaztek
This is fun. Now with half-baked plot speculation!
....Ch. 2 - Aorsi (zsoronga, proyas, kayutas) - first effects of eating sranc,

So what do you guys think the effect will be?
My guesses:
-Kellhus already knows what will happen when the flesh of Sranc is eaten; all is premeditated with the Dûnyain. He will abstain from eating it himself.
-It will be a stimulant like Qirri.
-It will be revolting at first but ultimately prove addictive.
-It will cause irreparable harm to the mind and body. (Perhaps even the soul?)
-It will slowly cause those consuming it to feel the violent/rabid "Sranc-lust". (In true Bakker style, there will be some description of this abhorrent change using the word "phallus").

Any thoughts, serious or silly?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:34:33 am by The2ndUtteralString »
A self-serving cognitive bias brought me here.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 02:06:49 am »
Something that has been thrown around for a while is that people have been eating sranc all along, in the form of the mysterious drug that the Scarlet Spire seems to love. Though its name escapes me for now.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The2ndUtteralString

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 04:39:28 am »
Something that has been thrown around for a while is that people have been eating sranc all along, in the form of the mysterious drug that the Scarlet Spire seems to love. Though its name escapes me for now.
Chanv coming from Sranc? Iyokus consuming it for all these long years? Interesting theory.
A self-serving cognitive bias brought me here.

Francis Buck

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:57:55 am »
I think sranc will be like crack to the nonman's coke. Stronger, doesn't last as long, and much more adverse effects.

I don't think chanv is sranc though. Chanv is rare, expensive, and mysterious even to those who take it. My money is on sorcerer salt. That would be rare, difficult to acquire, and thus worthy of the price. Plus we have the not so subtle scene  at the end of TTT, where the boy is collecting a bit of the salt "that would be his fortune". Sranc, on the other hand, are ridiculously abundant in the north, and people hunt them all the time. If that was the source of chances then there's no reason for it to be so scarce, nor so expensive.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:49:37 am »
So what do you guys think the effect will be?
My guesses:
-Kellhus already knows what will happen when the flesh of Sranc is eaten; all is premeditated with the Dûnyain. He will abstain from eating it himself.
-It will be a stimulant like Qirri.
-It will be revolting at first but ultimately prove addictive.
-It will cause irreparable harm to the mind and body. (Perhaps even the soul?)
-It will slowly cause those consuming it to feel the violent/rabit "Sranc-lust". (In true Bakker style, there will be some description of this abhorrent change using the word "phallus").

- Yeah, Kellhus won't eat it, though getting around this might be difficult if he remains with the Ordeal. I can easily see Kellhus having fed Sranc to people. Maybe Kelmomas finds Zombies in cages in the Labyrinth from Kellhus' experiments.
- It could be anything but I also think it will resemble Qirri as Sranc are bastardizations of Nonmen.
- Check.
- Check (for whatever reason this reminds me of Krokodil; drug that causes strange skin deformity and decay).
- Yeah, I can easily see Bakker highlighting the further resemblance between Men and Sranc.

Chanv coming from Sranc? Iyokus consuming it for all these long years? Interesting theory.

I think sranc will be like crack to the nonman's coke. Stronger, doesn't last as long, and much more adverse effects.

I don't think chanv is sranc though. Chanv is rare, expensive, and mysterious even to those who take it. My money is on sorcerer salt. That would be rare, difficult to acquire, and thus worthy of the price. Plus we have the not so subtle scene  at the end of TTT, where the boy is collecting a bit of the salt "that would be his fortune". Sranc, on the other hand, are ridiculously abundant in the north, and people hunt them all the time. If that was the source of chances then there's no reason for it to be so scarce, nor so expensive.

Yeah, I don't think Chanv is Sranc or Salted Sorcerer, strictly for the translucent skin commentary. If the Inchoroi were using the original Chanv for themselves then it precedes Sranc and Sorcery.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 05:40:38 pm »
Well, not necessarily. Our earliest description of the Inchoroi, to my knowledge, is TFS, by which time they might've discovered the advantageous effects of sorceror salt -- and been using it -- for millennia.

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 07:02:48 pm »
Serious: I think it's going to have some profound effects on their minds and souls.  Nightmares of the No-God, uncontrollable emotional states, psychosis.

Silly: Mass priapisms and diarrhea with eyes in it. :P

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 11:50:18 am »
Well, not necessarily. Our earliest description of the Inchoroi, to my knowledge, is TFS, by which time they might've discovered the advantageous effects of sorceror salt -- and been using it -- for millennia.

Truth.

Hrm.

Serious: I think it's going to have some profound effects on their minds and souls.  Nightmares of the No-God, uncontrollable emotional states, psychosis.

Silly: Mass priapisms and diarrhea with eyes in it. :P

Lol.

A thought:

Depending on the practice of Qirri eating among the Nonmen, Qirri is either a byproduct of Nonmen genetics or the Tekne. If eating burnt Nonmen was a practice before the Womb Plague, we can assume the former.

The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 02:19:29 am »
On Qirri.
It is residue from burnt Nonmen. 
(click to show/hide)

Therefore probably not common practice.

Depending on whether CC was quya, qirri might only result from burned quya.
Which would lend credence to the idea of chanv coming from sorcerers.  Perhaps it is burned witches' ashes.

So can we really expect qirri like effects from eating sranc?
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 01:03:17 pm »
We know from WLW though that "'Not all of my kind are buried... Some, the greatest, we burn like you'" (p487).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 07:09:52 pm »
On Qirri.
It is residue from burnt Nonmen. 
(click to show/hide)

Therefore probably not common practice.

Depending on whether CC was quya, qirri might only result from burned quya.
Which would lend credence to the idea of chanv coming from sorcerers.  Perhaps it is burned witches' ashes.

So can we really expect qirri like effects from eating sranc?

Yeah, this was something I mentioned on Westeros. I wondered if any of the Nonmen that qirri was made from were not sorcerers. If they were all sorcerers, then I think the fact that it comes from Nonmen is in fact a red herring -- it's the sorcerous nature of the Few that gives qirri (and thus chanv) its properties, and has nothing to do with the Nonmen themselves.

In which case you're correct in wondering what effects eating sranc will have, since the connection to qirri is lost.

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 09:39:04 pm »
I think it would be kind of amazing if eating sranc had the effect of making men more sranc-like in that they might become blood-crazed for their enemy the way that the sranc are for them.  Heh, it would be like Kellhus turned the men of the Ordeal into a weapons race of his own.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 11:47:11 pm »
Thing is, sranc eating would have happened in prior history (well before Kellhus turned up). It's just going to happen, with the various random food shortages on Earwa.

But weve been given no history of it.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 11:49:59 pm »
Thing is, sranc eating would have happened in prior history (well before Kellhus turned up). It's just going to happen, with the various random food shortages on Earwa.

Earwa is a superstitious place, probably for good reason. I wouldn't be too surprised if people would rather starve to death rather than eat sranc without someone like Kellhus telling them to do it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 11:50:55 pm »

Earwa is a superstitious place, probably for good reason. I wouldn't be too surprised if people would rather starve to death rather than eat sranc without someone like Kellhus telling them to do it.
Rather eat ones own children than eat sranc?