YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2014, 12:41:47 pm »
Topically, I have to select some of those books to read over the summer, read and unread.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Raizen

• Suthenti
  • You have to be realistic about these things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2014, 01:05:36 pm »
You guys should really just set up a secret library somewhere (preferably away from any warring factions of Gnosis wielding maniacs) and send your extra books there  :P
Wisdom was naught but cunning made
grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2014, 02:43:30 pm »
I give my spare books to a local pub/cafe that caters to s-f/fantasy/gaming fans. They have loads of s-f and fantasy books and magazines on the shelves, maps of Middle Earth, Warhammer world and Westeros on the walls, that kind of stuff.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Raizen

• Suthenti
  • You have to be realistic about these things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2014, 03:33:59 pm »
....that place sounds like paradise lol I'm jealous
Wisdom was naught but cunning made
grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2014, 03:49:03 pm »
LMAO! Road trip with Wilshire?! Come pick me (and my books up) in two weeks and you can drop me off in South Western Ontario on your way back ;).

Well if you are state-side sometime let me know

I give my spare books to a local pub/cafe that caters to s-f/fantasy/gaming fans. They have loads of s-f and fantasy books and magazines on the shelves, maps of Middle Earth, Warhammer world and Westeros on the walls, that kind of stuff.

Amazing

You guys should really just set up a secret library somewhere (preferably away from any warring factions of Gnosis wielding maniacs) and send your extra books there  :P
Then neither of us would have the books lol.
But a TSA forum member stocked library would be entertaining.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2014, 04:34:25 pm »

Is it possible to make a group Goodreads library?

That is awesome... I would, however, like to retain my minimal library in the future.

LMAO! Road trip with Wilshire?! Come pick me (and my books up) in two weeks and you can drop me off in South Western Ontario on your way back ;).

Well if you are state-side sometime let me know

Mayhaps, one day.

Then neither of us would have the books lol.
But a TSA forum member stocked library would be entertaining.

+1 the bold.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2014, 06:02:58 pm »

Amazing

No wonder that it's the place where I meet my nerdy friends almost every Thursday evening. Not to mention that they also have a great range of original beers from small breweries.

Madness - I have, like, 40 big thrash bags of books on my shelves (that was 2 years ago, when we decided to have our walls painted and had to take the books off the shelves and put them into bags). But for example, when I got married, it turned out I have similar literary taste to my husband (well, no wonder), so we had a lot of duplicates. And these we took to the pub.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2014, 06:26:56 pm »
Microbrews as well?! Thats really not even fair. I've never even heard of a place that is anything close to that.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2014, 10:50:22 pm »
All the pubs here are covered in football. :-( (Rugby and AFL - not even the type of football I can enjoy from a tactical perspective...)

Well, there is a Mana Bar in town but that's for Gamer kids imo.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:54:12 pm by Cüréthañ »
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2014, 11:05:34 pm »
Annals by Baron Pyotr Wrangel, White Army General during the Russian Civil War (He is the Black Baron in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd-oorFc-Oo)
Fighting for the Confederacy by E.P. Alexander, Chief of Artillery in the Army of Northern Virginia (famous for Pickett's Charge)

Rarely do I read anything past 1930

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2014, 01:42:40 pm »

Amazing

No wonder that it's the place where I meet my nerdy friends almost every Thursday evening. Not to mention that they also have a great range of original beers from small breweries.

:o! What is this magical place? That sounds amazing!

Madness - I have, like, 40 big thrash bags of books on my shelves (that was 2 years ago, when we decided to have our walls painted and had to take the books off the shelves and put them into bags). But for example, when I got married, it turned out I have similar literary taste to my husband (well, no wonder), so we had a lot of duplicates. And these we took to the pub.

That's cool. There is a take one/leave one shelf a coffee shop I like to frequent and I leave Bakker books there - I only have four copies of TWP left to leave ;) (though, I've never take a book).

I should have taken a picture of the pile before I put it in storage. Oh well... It's been a busy weekend of socializing and getting prepared to head back to the part of Canada that is firmly stuck in 'Merica.

Also, Wilshire, I learned that it actually would have been feasible to stick a box on a greyhound - after my books were locked away in my friend's storage :(. I wish you could have enjoyed them for the summer.

Microbrews as well?! Thats really not even fair. I've never even heard of a place that is anything close to that.

+1 - Most of my nerd-type friends (I never get the distinction right) aren't big drinkers either :(.

Well, there is a Mana Bar in town but that's for Gamer kids imo.

What the fuck, Canada... That's it. I'm opening something like this... a boozy coffee shop with lots of book shelves and board games. It's going on the To-Do List. If I have it my way, there will a smoking patio ;).

EDIT: K, sorry, real off-topic.

For the record, the first non-school book I'm reading is a recently released textbook on sociology.

Global Sociology - Cohen & Kennedy
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:46:58 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2014, 12:12:44 am »
What the fuck, Canada... That's it. I'm opening something like this... a boozy coffee shop with lots of book shelves and board games. It's going on the To-Do List. If I have it my way, there will a smoking patio ;).

iight well if you need a wealthy investor let me know.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2014, 01:38:59 pm »
Thanks, Wilshire. Yay :)!

Rereading: The Darkness That Comes Before, The Mind and The Brain.

Looking to find and read: Getting to Maybe
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2014, 07:01:06 pm »
Finished book 3 in the Neverness Series by Zindell. Need a little break now:)
Dark Ages of America, Morris Berman
Also started on Lights by M John Harrison(The Kefahuchi tract series)
Bhagavad Gita. I will try and plow through some "holy texts" in the future, just to see whats up.

Forgot to mention VALIS by PKD.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:47:46 pm by Royce »

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2014, 12:36:34 am »
started Piketty's Capital in the 21st century