Sorcery

• 224 Replies

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2014, 02:48:16 am »
It stands to reason that the Saik, being part of the empire that has that 'perpetual war and commerce' arrangement with the Kianene, would know something of the politics of the Cish, being as they're interconnected with the religion and politics of the region much more than any of the other Schools.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2014, 03:56:09 am »
MOENGHUS IS DUNYAIN---WOULD DEFINITELY BE CONTROLLING THE PERCEPTIONS OF EVERYONE IN THE THREE SEAS!!!

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 30, 2014, 07:59:10 am »
MOENGHUS IS DUNYAIN---WOULD DEFINITELY BE CONTROLLING THE PERCEPTIONS OF EVERYONE IN THE THREE SEAS!!!
This post needs more alcohol, it always helps my moe nerdanels.

All typ0s courtesy of Samsung.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 30, 2014, 01:13:26 pm »
I always got the feeling that much of the information that anyone has, Said or otherwise, is misdirection, especially surrounding Mallahet.
At what point, and from who's POV, do we learn of the Primaries? Moe is not one of the 5 Primary, the most powerful of the Cish, yet also considered the second most powerful? That doesn't match up at all. I don't think the Saik are much more informed than the SS, and Mallahet's alleged power is just that, alleged. There is no proof, and the only thing we seem him cast is Skype, which doesn't impress me. A cute parlor trick to scare the idiot Emperor and Saik, but little more.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:36:30 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 30, 2014, 11:45:58 pm »
I always got the feeling that much of the information that anyone has, Said or otherwise, is misdirection, especially surrounding Mallahet.
At what point, and from who's POV, do we learn of the Primaries? Moe is not one of the 5 Primary, the most powerful of the Cish, yey also considered the second most powerful? That doesn't match up at all. I don't think the Saik are much more informed than the SS, and Mallahet's alleged power is just that, alleged. There is no proof, and the only thing we seem him cast is Skype, which doesn't impress me. A cute parlor trick to scare the idiot Emperor and Saik, but little more.

Technically, we also see Moe cast Dreams Cants of Far Calling and Badass Blue Fists of Water, but I take your point.

I still want to believe that the Door of Light that is thrown open for the assassination is some meta-Psukhe.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2014, 12:38:05 pm »
That Door has profound implications, and it is the main thorn in the side of my anti-moenghus sentiments. Not sure how what was essentially a transposition spell was accomplished by the Chish, or Moenghus himself.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2014, 07:41:46 pm »
@ locke - agree, the booze makes moe theories fall out of head

@ Wilshire - skype, lol!

You guys talking about the Door made me realize that this could prove a superiority of the meta-psukhe over the meta-gnosis.  IF Kellhus really is limited in his warping ability, THEN it would seem that Moenghus has totally exceeded him.  Kellhus can only stride from horizon to horizon, but Moe can warp 3 people from Shimeh to the heart of the Scarlet Spires!!!

...unless moe and company physically walked into the fortress and the door was just for effects/misdirection???  they were let in by Iyokus, scarlet traitor!!!

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 02, 2014, 03:59:37 pm »
...unless moe and company physically walked into the fortress and the door was just for effects/misdirection???  they were let in by Iyokus, scarlet traitor!!!

Yeah, I suppose it's possible that it wasn't teleportation and was more like "we snuck into the SS compound and then announced our presence with authority." 

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 02, 2014, 04:08:23 pm »
Sure, I suppose the SS in their arrogance decided to not have any guards posted, assuming their wards would be sufficient. Protected from metaphysical but completely forgot about physical intrusions. Cish simply walked in, disabling wards as they went. It truly is amazing what the illusion of authority and direction will do to people with low station. Doormen and lowly Javreh, sensing no magical threat, perhaps just let them walk on by uncontested, again assuming the wards would be sufficient.

"The shadow way" or some such that was described when breaking in to save Akka seemed like such a lackluster explanation. Something similar to the above seems more reasonable.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 07, 2014, 12:29:22 am »
Wonder if Moe could develop a psukhe version of a chorae?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 07, 2014, 12:38:47 pm »
Wonder what that would even look like?

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 07, 2014, 01:37:39 pm »
I like how mg's style of speculation is primarily taking one thing from the story and putting it with another thing.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 07, 2014, 04:29:26 pm »
Dunyain breeding program for bashrags!
Serwa and witches form new meta-soul to fight Shauriatus!
Choric underwear!
The Fanim version of narindar!
Sarl is the WLW!
Kellhus is the bounced-soul of Sil!
Yatwer tells Gilgaol the joke about the anus leaf!
Everyone in the Great Ordeal has been replaced by skin spies and none of them realize it!
Esmi becomes even more rich and powerful by marketing various Heron Spear- themed merchandis: the Heron Spare for cart wheels, the Sharon Spear feminine- themed weaponry, and the Heron Spaghetti!
Anagogic theatre!
Gnostic colon cleanse!!!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 07, 2014, 06:00:02 pm »
I like how mg's style of speculation is primarily taking one thing from the story and putting it with another thing.
It sometimes yields interesting results. Probably fueled a bit by Madness suggesting that there are unconsidered combinations the community has yet to puzzle out.

Francis Buck

« Reply #209 on: October 07, 2014, 06:42:02 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Personally I find either of the two above explanations unhelpful.

For lockesnow's, that doesn't answer the question at all. Just because it exists in your mind doesn't mean it is manifest. The manifestation of a point that occupies no space wouldn't interact with the world. Even things like "point particles" in physics, a basic concept used to describe introductory physics, is just a theoretical/mathematical construct. It doesn't really exist, but it makes things a whole lot simpler.
Or a dirac delta, a curve with infinite height and an integral value = 1, is a close approximation of something like the "point that occupies no space" but again its a mathematical construct to simplify problems such that they can be solved without unnecessarily difficult math. Though useful and fair at approximating behaviors of certain ideal systems, such a thing isn't real. There is no such thing as a perfect valve.

Actually, that is a really good example of what the above mentioned "point" would end up looking like. The tool would be infinitely long and come to an infinitely sharp point that took up no space at the tip. But as infinity is a rather difficult place to get to, a tool made like that would be decidedly unwieldy :P

And Meyna's, I guess I just don't believe that Shae solved string theory and was applying it. Rape aliens and immortality and magic yes, solved string theory... nah.

Pretty much by definition, it doesn't exist if it doesn't occupy a point in space. Not to be confused with not having mass, or volume, like sound and light, and neutrinos can't be "captured" since they just float through shit whenever they want. Those things still occupy a point in space.

Though, another thought just came to me, Shae's key to the glamor could have been akin to some extremely focused beam of magic or some such idea. Like a laser, but with magic. The glamor is magical, so it would make sense if something magical broke it. Could have been more like finding its resonance frequency and emitting a "magic wave" that just amplified it and... boom, almighty glamor shakes itself apart.......

I'm well0over a year late here, but this is a certified BOSS post. It managed to make some sense to my mathematically-disabled mind.