Another galaxy without dark matter

• 17 Replies

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« on: April 03, 2019, 11:25:11 pm »
Link: http://www.astronomy.com/news/2019/03/ghostly-galaxy-without-dark-matter-confirmed
It always spooks me a little to read about astronomy, but at the same time it intrigues me despite me knowing nothing about it. In a different timeline, perhaps I'd too be an astronomer... It makes me feel a little jealous.
Anyway, it's further evidence that dark matter is a real thing, however dark it might be.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 02:42:03 am »
Wicked!
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:41:20 am »
One more galaxy stripped clean by the No-God.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 01:25:33 pm »

This actually made me laugh out loud - that said, it's troubling to consider your joke seriously - it could be the result of someone and not something.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 02:01:43 pm »

This actually made me laugh out loud - that said, it's troubling to consider your joke seriously - it could be the result of someone and not something.
Cixin Liu's "dark forest strategy" in action. Scary stuff.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 09:29:44 pm »
rofl!

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 10:36:30 pm »
In all seriousness, I find Dark Matter by itself kinda troubling to be honest. I love when people say something like, "we know about the cosmos than we do the deep sea!". I mean, okay, that's fine...but when over 80% of the fucking matter in the universe is practically intangible and, thus far, remains entire hypothetical...I'm not saying it's an alien godthing, but...

Maybe it's just nothing! 

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 03:24:54 pm »
Dark matter and Dark Energy are just words for "unknown shit we dont understand and know next to nothing about".

While it is an interesting artifact that looking through space is easier than looking into the ocean, its just the nature of how light works lol. I'm not so sure we "know" more about space than we do our oceans - then again, maybe we do.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 04:36:04 pm »
Dark matter and Dark Energy are just words for "unknown shit we dont understand and know next to nothing about".

Yeah, but we know it's there ... gives me the creepy crawlies  ;D

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 05:20:12 pm »

Well, to be my usual pedantic self, we really don't "know" it exists, but we infer that it seems it simply must exist....
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 05:37:33 pm »

Well, to be my usual pedantic self, we really don't "know" it exists, but we infer that it seems it simply must exist....

Oh, "it's" there - force don't come from nothin'

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 05:44:07 pm »

Oh, "it's" there - force don't come from nothin'

Something appears to be there, but that doesn't mean it is.

At some point, everything comes from nothing ;) , especially forces (see, centripetal force ), but I'm not good enough at physics to explain that statement :P. Just because it can been seen, felt, and measured, doesn't mean it "exists" or "is real", apparently.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:46:28 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 06:00:19 pm »

Aye, supposedly interacts ONLY via gravity or weak force. Imagine if there's some sort of dark life in there, wondering why they can't detect the last 4% of matter in the universe...

Literally "you can't know nuffin" in its purest form, lol, the memes are real.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 06:33:22 pm »
Something appears to be there, but that doesn't mean it is.

At some point, everything comes from nothing ;) , especially forces (see, centripetal force ), but I'm not good enough at physics to explain that statement :P. Just because it can been seen, felt, and measured, doesn't mean it "exists" or "is real", apparently.

Well, it certainly seems as if something is there and it seems that what "it" is would be what we call Dark Matter/Energy.  However, that is only assuming that things work how we assume they do, or as they appear to.

Recall, Newtonian equations seemed to explain gravitation, until we realized they didn't really, only from one inertial perspective.  So, something akin to that might be the case here.  We figure that the "seemingly missing" force must be from "something" and so infer that this something is Dark Matter/Energy.  It could be the case that we simply are not "using the right perspective" or that our method of calculation is just missing something.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 09:01:27 pm »
Recall, Newtonian equations seemed to explain gravitation, until we realized they didn't really, only from one inertial perspective.  So, something akin to that might be the case here.  We figure that the "seemingly missing" force must be from "something" and so infer that this something is Dark Matter/Energy.  It could be the case that we simply are not "using the right perspective" or that our method of calculation is just missing something.

Yeah, when I first learned a bit about this dark stuff and then heard about a galaxy with none of it - I was like, well that galaxy looks just fine ( could be it's not ), so this dark stuff ain't necessary - or it could be like you say, since we think something is there we know nothing about, could be it's not there and we're not understanding something that can explain our results/readings.