[TV Spoilers] Game of Thrones (S8) [Warning: Open Spoilers]

• 251 Replies

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2017, 03:31:19 pm »
George has announced a new book of Targaryen history, I bet that it's going to be published earlier that Winds of Winter. Seems to me that this new book of Targaryens is going to be the core of the new HBO series and sure George wants to have something tangible to offer them.
We have to asume that finishing ASOIAF is not his priority right now. And it pisses me off badly.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2017, 04:07:42 pm »
Fucking true and I am almost sure that George will never finish the books.

Yeah, that's my feeling too.  The series really teaches you some valuable life lessons like don't expect too much, don't get emotionally invested in people not emotionally invested in you, don't figure something will be great just because it started so, have more patience than you know what to do with, and don't think you are entitled to anything.  That applies to the narrative and the actual books themselves.

This is pretty much Life Lessons 101.
No whistling on the slog!

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2017, 04:30:58 pm »
George has announced a new book of Targaryen history, I bet that it's going to be published earlier that Winds of Winter. Seems to me that this new book of Targaryens is going to be the core of the new HBO series and sure George wants to have something tangible to offer them.
We have to asume that finishing ASOIAF is not his priority right now. And it pisses me off badly.
Link?

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2017, 04:34:11 pm »
He posted this in his Not a Blog.

He said that we will have one or maybe two books in 2018, but knowing him that is wishful thinking at best. I am pretty sure (and I really want to be wrong) that we will have one book in 2018 but it will be the Targaryen shit and not WoW.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2017, 04:58:27 pm »

Yeah, that's my feeling too.  The series really teaches you some valuable life lessons like don't expect too much, don't get emotionally invested in people not emotionally invested in you, don't figure something will be great just because it started so, have more patience than you know what to do with, and don't think you are entitled to anything.  That applies to the narrative and the actual books themselves.

If you add, humans are (usually) gross and stupid, just people someone acts like an asshole doesn't mean you should and just because you feel something is true doesn't mean it actually is, you are probably pretty set to get through life reasonably.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2017, 06:40:11 pm »
He posted this in his Not a Blog.

He said that we will have one or maybe two books in 2018, but knowing him that is wishful thinking at best. I am pretty sure (and I really want to be wrong) that we will have one book in 2018 but it will be the Targaryen shit and not WoW.
Meereenese knot 2.0 is a tough one to crack

Though I don't believe he ever solved it in the first place, since the show has revealed that the Crux of the knot is the yet to be achieved timing of dany returning with dothraki to win the battle of meereen. In other words he just pushed the central problem to the next book. Remember, the first dany chapter of AdWD was supposed to be the fighting pits where she flies off on drogon, and then she spends the rest of the book subduing the dothraki and returning to meereen. And whilst in this stage of writing before AFFC had been created, Martin was already talking about the meereenese knot.

Once he eliminated the five year gap, he started writing dany chapters to preface her fleeing the city, and each of those chapters further threw off the structure of the book, because other characters now needed more fleshed out journies so dany had time to be motivated to flee meereen. So rather than one prologue chapter introducing Quentin, one introducing Victarian, we get three of each as they go from a to b to c.

Then we get further Tyrian chapters to lengthen his journey to match and then further dorne and iron islands and blackfyre chapters to further flesh out the supporting story for the new storylines, and dany gets more chapters in meereen leading to a snowball effect pushing the central problem of convergence with dothraki to be even more impossible.

Unfortunately, by the point the book has snowballed into this unwieldy mess they made the disastrous decision to split out AFFC. This was a long term disaster because it locked In those chapters. I imagine without it being published he would have rewritten the bulk of it (and much of ADWD ) to be more compact, but instead all of these loose ideas of which character would work as the best pov got made into permanent choices. So rather than Martin deciding between arys oakheart, Arianne, or areo, his perspective options he was exploring were made into permanent selections, and rather than collapse six chapters into three we got six. Same with iron islands.

What got it in publishing shape was using Barristan at the end of the book to unify the various loose plot strands in meereen that all arrived too early. At the very least this created some dramatic resolution
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 06:47:57 pm by locke »

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2017, 06:56:04 pm »
The five year gap was the key to solve all the problems he face now.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:49 pm »
One of the reasons I stopped reading GRRM's serie was that the waiting was not worth it anymore for me. This is another reason why I appreciate Bakker's work ethic. I started reading just before TGO was published though, so I missed out on the gap before that one. Still...!
Mystery denotes darkness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2017, 03:28:48 am »

Preach :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2017, 09:57:28 pm »

With multiple book series though it presents a small problem in the sense that people need to buy the first books for the latter to be published. So what sort of expectations are there? Would as many people buy the earlier books knowing that finishing the series wasn't a priority? I have no idea. I feel there is some small level of tacit agreement you're going to finish the series. At the same time it seems entitled to moan at someone to finish something when they can't or really don't want to.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2017, 04:22:44 am »
Fuck Dany. I hope she dies screaming while burning.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2017, 06:21:49 am »
Ok, aside from the Dany hate, it was a good episode. I am excited to see the "Westerosi Avengers" put to work in the next episode.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2017, 09:35:24 am »
I share your feelings about Dany.
But nice episode anyway.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2017, 10:13:10 am »
Carrying on where I left off, the plot-convenience machine is further revving up. I have to put my hands on my ears now and then because it's so noisy. As if I'm watching a summary, the drama and plot on fastforward. Not a lot of scenes have much to offer beyond their plot purpose, variations of: 'Hey I'm looking for you for this thing...' / 'Sure, I'll drop e'thing, let's go...'

On the other hand, this show does look better each season. That Eastwatch matte painting, the dragon, the ravens, wow. Cersei's good.

Mystery denotes darkness

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2017, 10:32:25 am »
I share your feelings about Dany.
But nice episode anyway.

I am not really a fan of hers, but what did she do wrong now?  I'd have drawn a quartered those guys all the same, honestly, so I think she was pretty merciful.

I felt that it was yet another episode of essentially nothing happening though...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira