I'm writing a short Earwa fanfic and have some tough lore/metaphysical questions

• 45 Replies

Francis Buck

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 02:12:50 am »
What language do the Nonmen of Ishterebinth speak?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 06:34:50 pm »

Well, Curethan has a seemingly sound dissociation that either Nin'janjin or Cu'jara Cinmoi weren't of the Few.
Where? :)

Nonmen Society thread - Curethan's Post:

There are more references to Ishroi than Quya in general when we read through the Cuno-Inchoroi wars Neither CC or NJ show any indication of being more than Ishroi.  NJ cuts off CC's head in their final encounter, in4Revelations we see CC struck down by a nimil spear.  This suggests physical combat rather than sorcerous.  So if CC was Quya, then NJ must've held a chorae, in which case NJ could not be Quya.  Logically, it appears at least one nonman king was not Quya.

NJ = Nin'janjin, CC = Cu'jara Cinmoi.

What language do the Nonmen of Ishterebinth speak?

Ihrimsu.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 08:25:03 pm »
EDIT: Moved to more relevant topic.

Francis Buck

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 11:27:27 pm »
Which culture is it that thinks peacocks are holy and lets them roam free? I'm pretty sure it's either the Nansur or Ainoni, but I don't know for certain. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 11:33:22 pm »
Quote from: TTT, p342
The Nansur thought the bird holy and allowed them to roam free in their cities.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 11:34:41 pm »
Damn, that was fast! Thanks buddy.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 11:35:53 pm »
Lol, I'm breaking my moratorium on posting more than once today. Studying for my exam is killing me.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 02:24:47 am »
Lol, I'm breaking my moratorium on posting more than once today. Studying for my exam is killing me.

Hah, I hear you man. Gotta let loose somehow though!

Anyways, I have another question. Could anyone point to me where Akka first "comprehends the onta"? I know it's in TDTCB...at least I think it is....but I can't find it. As always, any help is appreciated.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 02:36:53 am »
TDTCB, p85.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 03:03:30 am »
I choose to believe that the Nansur revering peacocks is some double-entendre for Conphas spending much of his life preening and admiring himself. 

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 10:30:06 am »
Seems quite similar to cows being holy (in some places (IRL)).

Francis Buck

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 07:40:18 pm »
Yeah, assuming that they're literally holy (in the way snakes are, for example), I'd think it was more meant to be a symbol of masculine superiority.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 05:15:53 pm »

Hah, I hear you man. Gotta let loose somehow though!

Anyways, I have another question. Could anyone point to me where Akka first "comprehends the onta"? I know it's in TDTCB...at least I think it is....but I can't find it. As always, any help is appreciated.

An image struck Achamian: himself as a boy, climbing on the big rocks, the ones his father had used to dry the nets, pausing every few breathless instants simply to look around him. Something had happened. It was as though he’d opened different eyelids, ones beneath those he normally opened each morning. Everything was so agonizingly tight, as though the flesh of the world had been dried taut across the gaps between bone: the net against stone, the grid of shadows cast over the hollows, the watery beads cupped between the flex of tendons on his hands—so clear! And within this tightness, the sensation of inner blooming, of the collapse of seeing into being, as though his eyes had been wrung into the very heart of things. From the surface of the stone, he could see himself, a dark child towering across the disc of the sun.

The very fabric of existence. The onta. He had—and he could still never adequately express this—“experienced” it. Unlike most others, he’d known immediately he was one of the Few, known with a child’s stubborn certainty. “Atyersus!” he could remember crying, feeling the vertigo of a life no longer to be determined by his caste, by his father, or by the past.

Bakker, R. Scott (2008-09-02 04:00:00+00:00). The Darkness that Comes Before (Kindle Locations 1356-1360). Overlook. Kindle Edition.
I wish I could convert kindle locations to book pages, but its near the beginning, as Madness said. M
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 10:53:13 pm »
How come he never sees himself from a rocks point of view again (nor do any other schoolmen give any such accounts)?

Francis Buck

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 11:07:51 pm »
Bakker, R. Scott (2008-09-02 04:00:00+00:00). The Darkness that Comes Before (Kindle Locations 1356-1360). Overlook. Kindle Edition.
I wish I could convert kindle locations to book pages, but its near the beginning, as Madness said. M

Thanks for that, was having trouble finding it in my copy.

And yeah, thats one of the few things that annoys me about Kindle (along with not being able to copy/paste passages, or even brief lines).