• 40 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 04:19:42 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Well at least you've got that. I only speak english, and not a lick of any other language. To me there are just way to many vowels and silent letters, not to mention the odd symbols over half of the letters.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 04:19:49 pm »
Quote from: The Sharmat
Oh, I don't SPEAK those languages. I've just read enough history and heard them spoken enough to have a vague idea of some of the rules.

It actually helps if the letters have symbols on them, as those tell you exactly how to pronounce them instead of having to figure them out by memorization and context as in most English words. You just have to look them up.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 04:19:57 pm »
Quote from: Conditioned
These are the first audiobooks I've ever purchased. I bought all three PoN and for some reason can only seem to find WLW from AE, no Judging Eye anywhere on audible. Anyway, I'm not unhappy in the least that I lost my audiobook virginity to PoN. I think David DeVries does a really good job at using different accents and whatnot for the characters, makes them feel a little more realistic. I just started listening to WLW narrated by Kevin Orton and with him I am less impressed. He has an awkward cadence, builds momentum at odd places in sentances and pauses for no reason. He also pronounces many things either incorrectly in general (low-gahss instead of low-goes for logos) or different from the first narrator (can't think of any specific examples atm but they are fairly common). Orton also doesn't seem to try terribly hard to differentiate between characters voices. Oh yea, and for some reason the thing I find most irritating about Orton so far is that he says, "A quote from Ajencis: 'blah blah blah'" at the little chapter headers rather than just reading the fucking thing. LoL, that may even be the technically correct way to read it aloud... Fuck technically correct. DeVries didn't do it, you shouldn't either.

Someone mentioned that Mr Bakker recorded the glossary of TTT? There were no glossaries included in the versions I purchased =(
I am curious how much input they received from RSB if any. The accents used in PoN are interesting and it makes me wonder if the narrator just wings it lol.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 04:25:36 pm »
Regarding the glossary, I don't think it was meant to be published, but rather meant for reference material for the reader. The glossaries tend to not be published

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 04:25:44 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Well, the Glossary was published with TTT IRL. The next one is rumoured to be big enough for it's own release.

I've had the luxury of getting an answer out of Bakker about the naming thing and he was nicely adamant about the reading doing whatever they felt natural with it. He's commented many times that he doesn't claim a very thorough linguistics background.

Sure would like to hear him read the Cuno-Inchoroi Wars and the Apocalypse though.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 04:25:50 pm »
Yeah but the Dune glossary wasn't included in the audiobooks at all. Coincidence?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 04:25:58 pm »
I think not ;).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 04:26:10 pm »
Quote from: Conditioned
So anyone have any idea why we have all the books except TJE? I guess it's possible the publisher thought it would be a good idea to release WLW as it was the latest book but it completely fucks up the flow of my Bakker audio collection (although I mostly purchased these just to give Bakker a little more financial support lol)... But I guess that gives me a little hope that they might get someone other than Orton to narrate TJE and TUC--I mean, I don't wanna be a hater but I found his narration... lackluster. Not to mention WLW is freakin $45 and each from PoN is only $30, which I have to assume is because WLW is newer. I don't suppose many authors get the Martin treatment and get a second recording of the same book with a different narrator  :P ? Anyway, I'll take Orton if I have to just gimme TJE now damnit!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 04:26:19 pm »
Maybe its from a different narrator or company or something and they totally dropped the ball with TJE, I did find that supper strange though.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 04:26:26 pm »
Lol, dinner strange is some of the best, I'd guess ;).

Probably right, Wilshire. It's weird though as obviously they were all produced recently, why not simply manifest TJE along with?

Found this with a tentative preorder date of Mar/2013:

http://www.oneclickaudio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=rb.show_prod&book_id=93936

No narration listed.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 06:29:17 pm »
I feel like I've mentioned this before but I think I need to hear Stuart Mclean read the Second Apocalypse...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 06:28:40 am »
the first three audiobooks have been added to whispersync with voice on amazon.  That means if you've bought them for kindle you can now buy them as an audiobook from audible for $4.49 each.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 02:48:20 am »
http://www.audible.com/search?searchAuthor=R.+Scott+Bakker

For some time TJE didn't appear on Audible. All of them are there now. (dat cover art...)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 03:13:45 am »
I have/like them all.  The readers are both great, though they pronounce things differently  :P  I like the reader for AE a little better.  I wonder if they'll be able to get him again for TUC since its been awhile...

Zadok

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 03:18:19 am »
I like the AE reader better also, some of the voices the reader does in the first trilogy take me out of it, Cnaiur in particular sounds like a bad Arnold impersonation.