Stephenson:
Cryptonomicon - HC FE FP
Anathem - HC FE

Hobb:
Shaman's Crossing - HC FE, remaindered

and in BCE HC
Heinlein:
Stranger in a Strange Land

Total cost was about $8 for media mail shipping. Came in the mail today from locke. Thanks!
One of the other conditions of possibility.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2014, 04:20:01 am »
You're welcome. Enjoy!

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2014, 10:54:43 am »
I feel like my thread has spread some literature. This makes me happy. :)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2014, 03:10:02 pm »
Purchased through amazon 2 used copies of TDTCB (HC), about $7 each. I will be evaluating them for potential candidates to be chopped up and re-bound in leather.

Won an ebay auction for House of Chains (Tor 2006 HC), $6 after shipping. Somewhat bullshit because the bid was for $1, and shipping was $5. It does not cost $5 to ship a book my media mail.. but whatever, 6 is still a good price for the version I was looking for.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2014, 06:24:56 pm »
ebay book is the wrong size D: . Now it doesn't match. Probably a full inch larger than the others.

I did find Bonehunters for $5, looks new and probably unread, in the correct hardcover size and publishers. I will continue to hunt for House of Chains.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2015, 12:24:21 pm »
I hate that Wilshire, my covers so far of Adrian Tchaikovsky Shadows of the Apt series has the same problem, books 1-6 and 8-9 are softback same cover type all same size, 7 is exactly the same cover type but an inch larger.... so annoying.

At the moment completing sets in the same cover version is less important to me than just completing sets but it's still really really nice to have a uniformity to a series/author.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2015, 09:09:50 pm »
Ok well Christmas was very strange and suspicious.... I normally get a load of book vouchers/books from all sides of the family as part of my presents, usually between £50-100 combined. So I buy new books to add to the collection every Christmas. Alas this year everyone got me something different and I did not get any book vouchers at all - maybe the whispering wife? However she did get me a book which only doubles my confusion...

Star Wars: A Visual History - Nice big book from the wife, photographic paper all the way through and looks really interesting. Not a book I will read end to end but something I will pick through.

Peter V. Brett: The Painted Man
- SB in good condition.
10p from a car booter. Rude not to.

Anne McCaffrey: Talents of the Earth #2: Pegasus in Flight - SB in good condition. Awesome as I got the first a few months back and it was from the same charity store, hopefully someone is reading the set and will donate the 3rd. Matching cover set and type to #1.
Bernard Cornwell: The Grail Quest #1: Harlequin - I bought books 2 and 3 a few months ago from a large bearded gent at a car boot sale on a sunday morning on the rear entrance to the stand (thanks memory). 2 and 3 are both large HC and this is SB but it is in perfect condition and same cover type.
£1.99 buy one get one free from a charity store.

James S. A. Corey: The Expanse #1: Leviathan Wakes - SB in good condition. Awesome to grab this title as it is recommended by a lot of people I know online. This jumps immediately into my short term reading list.
£2.50 from British Heart Foundation.

David Gemmell: Lion of Macedon - SB in good condition. Can never resist a Gemmell. I have Dark Prince as I bought that recently but fairly sure I have this already.
£2.50 from the British Heart Foundation.

Bernard Cornwell: The Last Kingdom - SB in good condition. Pretty sure I already own this in a black and white cover type and if I do this cover type is much nicer.
J. R. R. Tolkien: The Hobbit - SB in good condition. Nice little book in the same style cover art as a Silmarillion copy that I have (Tolkiens old hand drawing as cover art and some inside).
Eragon: Christopher Paolini - SB in good condition. Never read and don't intend to read but the guy at the market I trade with will trade me this for an old Sci Fi.
3 for £1 at a charity store.

Joe Abercrombie: The First Law #1: The Blade Itself - SB in good condition. Awesome another copy of First Law although this is the much better cover type, the one which is like a bloodstained map.
Garth Nix: Across The Wall - SB in good condition. Short stories with some set in the Abhorsen world. I own all of the Keys to the Kingdom series but nothing else from Nix.
Stephen King: Insomnia - Stephen King seems obligatory in second hand and charity stores - normally awful copies though. SB in good condition.
3 for £1 at a charity store.

Really please with the Leviathan Wakes and a better cover type of The Blade Itself.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2015, 03:02:53 pm »
First time I have been into the local town since Christmas, snowy and rainy today so all the outdoor markets were closed.

Trudi Canavan: The Magicians Apprentice - HB with DJ in excellent condition probably read once.
Trudi Canavan: The Ambassadors Mission - HB with DJ in excellent condition probably read once.
Pretty sure I have at least one of these - will need to check.
T. H. White: The Once and Future King the complete volume - SB in decent condition with general wear.
Arthur C. Clarke: 3001 The Final Odyssey - HB with DJ in excellent condition probably read once.
Adrian Tchaikovsky: Shadows of the Apt #2: Dragonfly Falling - SB in good condition with general wear.
Adrian Tchaikovsky: Shadows of the Apt #5: The Scarab Path - SB in good condition with general wear.
3 for £1 (£2 total) from a charity store which is ridiculous and why I donate so many items to this particular store.

Adrian Tchaikovsky: Shadows of the Apt #3: Blood of the Mantis
- New SB.
10p from The Works stock clearance sale.
Dan Simmons: Hyperion - New SB. (SF Masterworks edition with a crappy cover but the guy from work likes SF and its a great lend item.)
£1 from the Works stock clearance sale.

EDIT: The Shadows of the Apt are the same cover types and sizes as I have already.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:48:07 pm by SilentRoamer »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2015, 12:09:43 am »
Ok well a few buys over the last 10 days or so.

Michael Moorcock: The History of the Runestaff #1: The Jewel in the Skull
- Hilarious looking 1973 cover edition. SB with general wear.
Frank Herbert: The Dragon in the Sea - 1979 print SB with general wear.
Harry Harrison: The Stainless Steel Rat Saves The World - Think its the 1976 print. SB with general wear.
3 for £1 in a bargain bin.

Robert Heinlein: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - 1974 print SB with general wear.
Brian Aldiss: The Moment of Eclipse - SB with general wear.
Ursula K. Le Guin: The Dispossessed - 1973 print SB with general wear.
Poul Anderson: The Long Way Home - 1975 print SB with general wear.
50p each from my usual market trader.
Robin Hobb: The Farseer Trilogy #3: Assassins Quest - SB in good condition, minor wear. Completes a set.
£1 from the same trader.

John Marco: Tyrants and Kings #2: The Grand Design- So strange to get this after Madness pimped it - although we discovered I have the awful cover version while he has a decent one! Large SB in "good" condition as much as the term can be used about a book with a cover so hideous.
£2.50 from the British Heart Foundation.

Brian Jacques: Tales of Redwall #15: Triss - SB in good condition. Now this has a nice cover. Gold embossed writing and a nice colour and artwork - all of the Redwall books I have have some gold embossing and nice artwork.
Scott Lynch: The Gentleman Bastards #1: The Lies of Locke Lamora - SB in good condition.
3 for £1 from a car booter or 50p each, couldn't find a 3rd the rest of the stuff was so bad - two nice finds though.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:13:54 am by SilentRoamer »

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2015, 03:56:13 pm »
someone had a birthday and someone's spouse got someone a really lovely gift: an extra rare White dusk jacked 1st US edition of someone's favorite all time book JOHNATHAN STRANGE ... SIGNED

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2015, 03:57:55 pm »
Very sexy MG. congrats :D

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2015, 03:30:33 pm »
MG thats a really nice copy. Someones spouse has a good sense for a great gift.

Picked a few things up over the last few weeks:

Isaac Asimov: Nightfall One - 1986 softback in great condition.
Isaac Asimov: Nightfall Two - 1985 sotback in great condition.
Isaac Asimov: The Stare Like Dust - 1986 softback in great condition.
Frank Herbert: The Priests of Psi - 1984 softback in great condition.
Vernor Vinge: The Peace War - 1987 softback in great condition
A really nice lady at the car boot gave me them all for 20p each. So a £1 for the lot!Rude not to.

David Gemmell: The Hawk Queen #1: Ironhands Daughter
- Cool old school matching covers with the one below. SB in good condition.
David Gemmell: The Hawk Queen #2: The Hawk Eternal -  SB in good condition.
3 for £1 and couldn't find a decent 3rd, from a charity store.

David Gemmell: Stone of Power: The Sipstrassi Omnibus - This book is bloody huge. It has 4 books in it, the Shannow and Ghost King duologies.
£1.50 from a charity store.

David Eddings: Castle of Wizardry - SB in good condition.
Brian Adams: Watership Down - SB in decent condition, wear on the spine.
Brian Jacques: Mossflower - SB in good condition.
Dan Simmons: The Fall of Hyperion - SB in good condition, wear on the spine.
Robert Jordan: The Wheel of Time #9: Winter's Heart - SB in good condition.
Karen Miller: Godspeaker #1: Empress - SB in great condition.
3 for £1 so £2 for the lot.

Micheal Moorcock: The History of the Rune Staff #4: The Runestaff - SB in good condition.
£1 from a charity store.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:20:00 am by SilentRoamer »

Garet Jax

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2015, 09:30:14 pm »
How much is it to ship books from the Shire to the desert, I wonder?  Pretty sure it would be cheaper to rent from your library than it is to buy and never reread.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2015, 01:19:10 pm »
Because of the two way shipping - even using the cheaper and slower option of surface mail I think the cost would end up being prohibitive.

Otherwise I would gladly let the wet knowledge of the Shire flow to the Desert.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2015, 04:46:01 pm »
I would gladly let the wet knowledge of the Shire flow to the Desert.

gross