Hi Folks

• 4 Replies

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:44:46 am »
I found this forum the usual way, looking for more SA information.  Prince of Nothing was suggested on another board in a thread about 'what to do while you wait for TWoW', and one quick torrent away, I read it on my phone at work for a few days.  Plowed through TWP, then halfway through TTT I realized I should just buy these books.  Read the rest, found this place which made me reread TTT, then the entire series again, and now I sometimes open up a favorite scene.  I love world building in any kind of media, and this place where reason and magic completely overlap just presses a needle right into that love.

(And then he shat down a pit.)

So now that I'm caught up on most of this forum too, I feel like it's cool to post my own brand of crackpottery.  And here's perhaps my favorite aphorism (I love Ajencis, but Memgowa had a way with things):

"Souls can no more see the origins of their thought than they can see the backs of their heads or the insides of their entrails. And since souls cannot differentiate what they cannot see, there is a peculiar sense in which the soul cannot self-differentiate. So it is always, in a peculiar sense, the same time when they think, the same place where they think, and the same individual who does the thinking. Like tipping a spiral on its side until only a circle can be seen, the passage of moments always remains now, the carnival of spaces always sojourns here, and the succession of people always becomes me. The truth is, if the soul could apprehend itself the way it apprehended the world -- if it could apprehend its origins -- it would see that there is no now, there is no here, and there is no me. In other words, it would realize that just as there is no circle, there is no soul.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 01:44:32 am »
I like the choice in aphorism.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Wic.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Great Scald

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 07:05:30 pm »
"Souls can no more see the origins of their thought than they can see the backs of their heads or the insides of their entrails. And since souls cannot differentiate what they cannot see, there is a peculiar sense in which the soul cannot self-differentiate. So it is always, in a peculiar sense, the same time when they think, the same place where they think, and the same individual who does the thinking. Like tipping a spiral on its side until only a circle can be seen, the passage of moments always remains now, the carnival of spaces always sojourns here, and the succession of people always becomes me. The truth is, if the soul could apprehend itself the way it apprehended the world -- if it could apprehend its origins -- it would see that there is no now, there is no here, and there is no me. In other words, it would realize that just as there is no circle, there is no soul."

This is pretty much Bakker's blind-brain theory, no?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:33:46 pm »
Aye. Apparently, Bakker favors Memgowa over Ajencis.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 01:34:18 am »
Hello Wic!  I want to agree with you that the 144k is a red herring for the Inchoroi!  I wonder if they just stupidly came across that number or if Ajokli was fucking with them ages ago, stars away.