The Madness Experiment

• 24 Replies

Garet Jax

« on: July 26, 2014, 05:13:43 pm »
In light of Madnesses recent exposure to the holiest of holies, I decided to run a little experiment.  I have been tracking what topics he has been looking at and which ones he posts in.  In doing that, I am hoping to identify which topics he will still post in and which topics he stays away from.  I felt that the topics he stays away from but is reading are the topics that someone struck gold on and guessed correctly.

I wanted to generate a thread about which theories people thought were most accurate and will come true in TUC.

I like to think that the "Earwa is Heaven" theory is either right or very close to being right. (I attribute this theory Nerdanel to locke)

Please speculate!

Edit:  I will put together my tracking results and post them soon, I just wanted to get this going. 

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:15:42 pm by Garet Jax »

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:29:02 pm »
He seemed really impressed by the Nonman stuff in TUC, do not know what to make of that...

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 03:36:07 pm »
One suspicious thing is that he hasn't mentioned anything regarding the No-God since reading the book. In fact it almost seems as if he's refusing to utter the No-God's name for some reason. My worry is that the NG is not featured in TUC, at all.

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:46:40 pm »
Not a bad idea, but wouldn't plying be more effective?  I submit that it would, and while I personally like Madness and would not normally think to subject him to plying, the unholiest of unholies calls.  Some corruption begs the knife, Madness.  You must know this. 

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 11:09:29 am »
@ Ashtinahgma - True, true, Madness has been awful quiet about that.  TUC has got to end in some kind of disaster, right?  If not the No-God then something worse?

@ Triskele - Perhaps GJ is letting the cat out of the bag as grounds for a deeper deception!!!

Maybe we could start mailing vast quantities of liquor to Madness to inspire more teezers :)  Madness, don't say no right away, check with drunk-Madness first

Garet Jax

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:06:50 pm »
I can't find the notes that I took while tracking his page views but Madness did spend a decent amount of time, on several occasions, in these topics;

(Trying to put them in order of most time spent in thread without posting)

-"Mimara"
With all the speculation that she could possibly be one of the most important people in the series, or at least in PoN, finding more about her could help us divine some tidbits from TUC?

-"The Maithanet-Inrilatas Conversation"
I have always thought that this conversation reveals much of what we need to know, but are we looking at it from the right angle?

-Dunyain and Nonmen
Seems obvious that these are two major "players" in Earwa.  But what connection do they have, and how is it relevant to the progression of the story?

-TSTSNBN
This one looks a little obvious.  But, I wonder if anyone has hit on, or close to, the truth?

-Map Circles
Personal favorite of mine, which is why I brought it up in the cast.  I think it has some significance, but I am not sure if they are prior "landing sites" like I said...  Any thoughts?

If I find my notes, I know there are three or four other topics that he spent time in without posting. 

But, what does it all mean?

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 04:18:23 pm »
Prior landing sites like Earwa is locked in an infinite loop of Ark crashes?

Garet Jax

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 04:37:45 pm »
Prior landing sites like Earwa is locked in an infinite loop of Ark crashes?

Not sure if I meant an infinite loop of Inchoroi Ark crashes.

More along the lines that each "landing site" could be how certain species/races were introduced or broke into Earwa.

There are two rings around Golgotterath too... ;)

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 04:46:49 pm »
They might just be impact craters for pieces of the Ark that broke off in it's tumble from the void.  Maybe contain Tekne remnants no-one knows what to do with/what they are.
No whistling on the slog!

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 06:38:27 pm »
Well as we all know Cnaiurs tendencies to make love to Earwa maybe thay are the result of a drunken bet on the steppes!

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 02:22:06 am »
Perhaps you should addend the thread title to include [possible TUC spoilers], just in case someone does dredge spoilery stuff up.

Based on what Madness has said in chat and post compared with what I remember from his expressions in thread and quorum content, I think Madness' expectations and speculations on nonmen were upset to some extent.
It's something that I think interested him a lot beforehand, so...
I might go back through those threads myself.

I seem to recall Madness as a proponent towards the idea that the Intact were trying to save their race through breeding and that Serwa would be key - so perhaps that is less likely.
Given that it sounds like a lot of pages will be devoted to Isherberinth and Ishual sounds pretty brief, I think AK and Mimara will end up at the Last Mansion as well.

Madness asserted that only a few of the darkest guesses have come close to the fate of the Ordeal and Golgotteroth and little more.
I have the feeling like Madness might have had some of the darkest thoughts about that prior to his exposure to the most unholy manuscript.
Specifically, I think he was of the opinion that Kellhus sought the Tekne for himself.

Finally, I recall discussion that all the pieces are in play at the end of TUC.  I take that and the above to imply that Mog-Pharau will walk (hover?) again.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:28:56 am by Cüréthañ »
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 03:01:06 am »
I cannot wait to go back and tell the whole story when all is said and done. I think I'll ping and describe all the innuendos I've inadvertently made across Quorum/To Madness.../TSACast. I've certainly given out more than I should have/intended to but the thing is without certain contexts you all are unable to understand how that which comes after intersects with that which has come before ;D.

I really enjoy this topic.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 08:39:59 am »
Ha, the broadest sketch of an outline of a hint of a fading impression is all we are working off here!  :-D

I mean, I've long held the opinion that Mog will be back at the end of AE.  It's called the Second Apocalypse after all, shit hasn't even kicked off yet.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 10:58:43 pm »
We're all in for quite a surprise when we learn that Bakker gave Madness an inferior alternate story...

What really happens:
- Ishterebinth is blasted killing everyone there
- Eating sranc makes the Great Ordeal mutiny and join the Consult.  Kellhus is driven back by the combined might and ultimately killed by new super-creatures: combinations of teckne, sorcery and neuropuncture
- While all of the Consult's might are engaged in driving Kellhus back towards Eanna (where he is caught in between the Consult and their legions of Easter servants) Moenghus uses the Meta-Psukhe to capture all of the gods in the Ark and seal them forever
- Akka becomes the No-God in an insane attempt to win back Esmi
- the war between Akka/No-God and Esmi will be the setting for the next book

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 07:18:38 pm »
We're all in for quite a surprise when we learn that Bakker gave Madness an inferior alternate story...

lol yes.

Or, alternatively, what gets published is so chopped up by publishing that madness doesn't even recognise it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.