mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« on: January 02, 2015, 05:14:11 pm »
The editor at Grimdark Magazine has asked me for some input on the questions that will be used in the interview with RSB in the April issue of the magazine.  So what are some good questions?  I guess you could just ask him on his blog, but maybe he will be more inclined to answer in the interview.  idk i have never done this before is it logic or nursing or something i can fry and eat with cheese?

is this a good question (or at least one RSB would be willing to flap his gums at)?:
"What is the relationship between your Blind Brain Theory and your fantasy fiction?"

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 07:22:14 pm »
Can you post this in the Bakker thread over at ******** as well?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:34:01 pm »
Done, Nskoghar :).

Also, MG, congratulations on your rising notoriety - I see you got an honourable mention in Grimdark 8)!
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 08:07:56 pm »
But it is you, mrganondorf, who are the question. 

For example, could Bakker compel you to cut your own throat as an emissary to demonstrate your fealty? 

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 09:41:29 pm »
@ Akkeagni - done!

@ Madness - w00t w00t! Squeezing blood from the stone! :)

@ Triskele - there are some things i'd do for a Klondike bar...

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 02:18:23 am »
I'm asking nothing...

Like Kellhus marching the Herotic Way to Shimeh, I shall wait and re-organise on the plains and let the consult come to me.

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 04:24:44 am »
What is the ninth book of The Sagas?!  We only know eight of them.  *waves hands frantically*

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 08:04:54 am »
What is the dietary of the  dunyain?

are the Dunyain cannibals?

Was the unflickering intense illumination in the unmasking room generated from candles as kellhus assumes and from mundane candles as the reader assumes?

At the end of kellhus' training flashback he hears twigs and concludes cause is everywhere but it is diffuse and useless, is kellhus incorrect and/or deceiving himself?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 06:42:52 pm »
For MG, not Bakker:

Are these supposed to be questions related to the books, lore/etc., or about other things?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 01:31:27 am »
For MG, not Bakker:

Are these supposed to be questions related to the books, lore/etc., or about other things?

anything!  i was hoping to give the editor a list and then i imagine some questions are picked and others are not

Garet Jax

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 08:11:22 pm »
Why not ask if he would be willing to do a book signing and Q&A event of his loyal fans foot his bill..?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 01:52:44 am »
Why not ask if he would be willing to do a book signing and Q&A event of his loyal fans foot his bill..?

"Have you picked a venue and date for Zaudunyanicon?"

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 09:17:29 am »
Does a skin spy short circuit the circuit of watcher and watched?

Do Cishaurim use utterals and inutterals?

What is the connection between why an Uroborian circle effectively imprisons sorcerers and the Cishaurim use of snakes?

Who's idea was it to give Esmenet her name, her mother, her father, another, and what was the reasoning?

Is there a character in antiquity named Mimara?  If so, who was she?

Does Kellhus ever make an error and then in contemplating the error he refuses to acknowledge he erred, thus making an error into a new, self-flattering narrative in which the original error is now further evidence of his correctness?

Other than the presence or absence of hair follicles, how much do Kellhus and Moenghus look alike?

Why do the Dunyain shave their heads?

Why do the Dunyain maintain the surname Anasurimbor?

If they had not encountered Serwe, would Cnaiur and Kellhus have proceeded further east into the Hethantas, or would their confrontation and battle have occurred that day, as both had anticipated earlier?

Is "the mark" just a shorter way of saying "the mark of the blood of the onta"?

What was the name of the place where Kellhus and Mekeritrig fought?

Where is Siol?

In the following quote is sorcery happening? If so, what sorcery is happening? Is Kellhus incapable of recognizing sorcery at this time?
The walls shivered beneath a fierce succession of gusts, and the flame twirled with abrupt incandescence. The hanging pelts lightly rocked to and fro. Leweth looked about, his brow furrowed, as though he strained to hear someone.

Why did Kellhus encounter no Sranc while traveling from Ishual to Leweth?

In his dunyain training, Kellhus conceives of himself as extinguished, becoming place, in the end of Thousandfold Thought, Kellhus' final on screen POV describes his cant of transposition as "what was soul became place," what is the connection between the nonsorcerous dunyain training and the sorcerous cant of transposition?

Kellhus also has a thought, "the tree, the heart," during his childhood Dunyain training, does this thought refer to the Circumfix and does this thought violate the principle of before and after?

In the Thousandfold Thought, you write, "And as always, [the Mandate] find nothing." Does that make Achamian a Prince of Nothing?

In the Thousandfold Thought, you write, "Standing before the exultant masses, he grasps the Thousandfold Thought." Does that make Serwe's heart--literally what Kellhus is grasping while standing before the exultant masses--the Thousandfold Thought?

In the Thousandfold Thought, you write, "“I will strip you to your footings,” the Nonman grated. “Though I love, I will upend your soul’s foundation! I will release you from the delusions of this word ‘Man,’ and draw forth the beast—the soulless beast!—that is the howling Truth of all things … You will tell me!”" Mekeritrig here sounds very like a Dunyain, is there a connection between Mekeritrig's threat to use of the sorcerous Cants of Compulsion to discover the Heron Spear and the Dunyain's nonsorcerous means to overcome and master the same delusions and beast to discover the Logos?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:34:18 am by locke »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 02:46:33 pm »
What are your plans for the future after TUC? (more atrocity tales, stand alone novels, next TSA series [trilogy?], stand-alone glossary, Disciple sequel, Neuropath sequel, etc.)

If you can't write full time, what would you be doing for work every day, and how many decades should fans plan to wait between books?

Francis Buck

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 07:58:26 pm »
How do you organize your world-building?