What if the No-God's a dolt?

• 8 Replies

Uncle Holy

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: March 07, 2015, 11:43:04 pm »
Why does the No-God ask the same questions?: WHAT DO YOU SEE? WHAT AM I? I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE...Perhaps the No-God is just some construct of the Consult...an embodiment of evil that is ignorant of its origins...we know the No-God isn't a construct of regular sorcery since his Carapace has 11 Chorae in it...so whatever he is, he does nothing but ask the same idiot cryptic questions...
""
Framed by the wheeling heavens, the figure spoke, a million throats in his throat, a million mouths in his mouth …
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
The silhouette stood, hands clasped like a monk, legs bent like a beast.
TELL ME …
Whole worlds wailed in terror.
The Warrior-Prophet awoke, his skin tingling against a dead woman’s cheek …
""

Perhaps, he's a renegade piece of the God that the Consult just harnessed to their purposes (would explain his ignorance). Or is he just really big Ciphrang from the Outside that suffered amnesia during transit?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:56:39 pm »
What IS the no god. A question oft debated

What is the No God?
What is the No God? (II)

But seldom answered.

I like to think that the Inchoroi/Consult are pretty clever, but that doesn't make the No-God smart (or even conscious). Some bit of the Outside forced into the realm of Earwa is a favorite explanation of mine.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 01:10:51 am »
UH lol!  i wonder if you aren't right though--it would make some narrative sense if the NG is the polar opposite of the Dunyain.  Dunyain aspire to pure intellect, NG is everything but intellect.  something something Plato's soul something. 

it is strange to me that the Consult 'worship' the NG, but i kind of got the impression that they were the one controlling it

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:27:34 am »
Do they really worship it though? Well, kinda makes sense, after all its their equivalent of Jesus - some entity that is supposed to bring salvation to all.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 07:31:44 pm »
The No-God embodies Meaninglessness more than Evil, I think.

Also wouldn't be surprised if it was quite intelligent...but not self aware. Gods are apparently blind to an intelligence without a soul. Would a soulless God be completely blind to its own existence?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 10:44:48 pm »
Gods are apparently blind to an intelligence without a soul. Would a soulless God be completely blind to its own existence?

I'd have to say yes, there is a pretty good chance of that.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 02:23:16 pm »
Bakker's always saying the mind doesn't have the capacity to understand what it actually is, I'm guessing he's looking to embody that in an unforgettably disturbing reveal of what the No-God is.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 02:28:20 pm »
Some tie in with the Blind Brain thing is to be expected, and you're right, the No-God certainly seems like a good candidate.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 11:52:37 pm »
Bakker's always saying the mind doesn't have the capacity to understand what it actually is, I'm guessing he's looking to embody that in an unforgettably disturbing reveal of what the No-God is.

appropriate Devil's Dictionary quote!

MIND, n. A mysterious form of matter secreted by the brain. Its chief activity consists in the endeavour to ascertain its own nature, the futility of the attempt being due to the fact that it has nothing but itself to know itself with.”
― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary