Quotes from Classics

• 22 Replies

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 05:08:18 pm »
More Peakean dialogue and musings:

'What is Time, O sister of similar features, that you speak of so subserviently? Are we to be the slaves of the sun, that second-hand, overrated knob of gilt, or of his sister, that fatuous circle of silver paper? A curse upon their ridiculous dictatorship! What say you, Irma, my Irma, wrapped in rumour, Irma, of the incandescent tumour?'
Mystery denotes darkness

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 05:09:48 pm »
And a moment from Titus Groan's big setpiece:

'His hands were now grappling with one another and it seemed an eternity before the fingers ceased their deadly, interlocked and fratricidal strangling. Yet his panic could have taken no longer than a few moments, for the echo of Irma's scream was still in his ears when he began to loosen his hands.'
Mystery denotes darkness

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 09:50:31 pm »
Since I'm (still) reading Moby Dick:

For in the mere act of penning my thoughts of this Leviathan, they weary me, and make me faint with their outreaching comprehensiveness of sweep, as if to include the whole circle of the sciences, and all the generations of whales, and men, and mastodons, past, present, and to come, with all the revolving panoramas of empire on earth, and throughout the whole universe, not excluding its suburbs. Such, and so magnifying, is the virtue of a large and liberal theme! We expand to its bulk. To produce a mighty book, you must choose a mighty theme. No great and enduring volume can ever be written on the flea, though many there be who have tried it.
Mystery denotes darkness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 04:59:32 pm »
Thanks, Hiro. Next time I talk to Cam I'll remind him to check this thread out.

Classic for me anyway, HP Lovecraft:

I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 05:14:52 pm »

I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams.

Nice!
Mystery denotes darkness

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 04:46:36 pm »
While waiting for TUC, here's a beautiful piece from John Crowley's 'Little, Big':

"Smoky told me, once, about this place, in India or China, where ages ago when somebody got the death sentence, they used to give him this drug, like a sleeping drug, only it's a poison, but very slow-acting; and the person falls asleep first, deep asleep, and has these very vivid dreams. He dreams a long time, he forgets he's dreaming even; he dreams for days. He dreams that he's on a journey, or that some such thing has happened to him. And then, somewhere along, the drug is so gentle and he's so fast asleep that he never notices when, he dies. But he doesn't know it. The dream changes, maybe; but he doesn't even know it's a dream, so. He just goes on. He only thinks it's another country."
Mystery denotes darkness

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 06:03:35 pm »

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
My favourite Lovecraft quote. I shiver every time I read it.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 06:22:14 pm »

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
My favourite Lovecraft quote. I shiver every time I read it.

Good one Red! Very Bakker-y as well.
Mystery denotes darkness