YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 03, 2017, 11:38:54 pm »
Dora Bed, when you're done I highly recommend ICE's new trilogy, starti g with Dancer's Lament. Which tells how the Malazn Empire came into being and how Shadowthrone and Cotillion met. The 1st book was great and I was never a huge fan of ICE. But, his writing is so much better in this series than anything else I've read of his. I loved the 1st book as much or more than any of his Malazan books. Who h there was I few I really enjoyed, but others I read just because I rarely quit on a book. Look into them after your done.
MSJ's autocorrection strikes back.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 03, 2017, 11:40:56 pm »
Quote from:  Redeagl
MSJ's autocorrection strikes back.

Of.course. I really don't care anymore. I write a post. Its messed up and the u can't edit. I've apologized 22 times.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #272 on: November 06, 2017, 11:58:31 am »
Onto the last book of Jeff Vandermeer's Southern Reach trilogy, Annihilation.  Series is decent, last book isn't too long but hopefully it provides some answers.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 17, 2017, 11:02:54 pm »
God ... DAMMIT! They're making Kingkiller Chronicles into a tv show - wasted my time reading that Wind book, fuck.

Ok, too much damn talk about this Erickson guy, I'll dive into the first one ( Gardens of the Moon ). Anyone know if the Audio CD Book is any good?
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 17, 2017, 11:08:27 pm »
Wouldn't recommend audio for Malazan....
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #275 on: November 17, 2017, 11:38:15 pm »
Speaking of Malazan. I'm 82 % complete with Gardens of the Moon. Paran reminds me of Proyas, except the latter is more potent a character, imo.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 18, 2017, 12:40:49 am »
Speaking of Malazan. I'm 82 % complete with Gardens of the Moon. Paran reminds me of Proyas, except the latter is more potent a character, imo.

Any good or is it bullshit?

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 18, 2017, 12:52:26 am »

Don't say bullshit and Malazan in the same sentence again,  Tao :P
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 18, 2017, 02:07:13 am »

Don't say bullshit and Malazan in the same sentence again,  Tao :P

Aaaaah, you like it, don't you? Well, ok then, I'll see what all the fuss is about.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #279 on: November 18, 2017, 02:35:53 am »

Well, I personally like it as it's very interesting, but I think it takes patience to read it.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 18, 2017, 03:03:51 pm »
Quote from:  Dora Vee
Well, I personally like it as it's very interesting, but I think it takes patience to read it.

Right. Gardens of the Moon is very slow with a lot of info dumped on you very quickly. But, as Wilshire and I said, all of Malazan novels are set up as the first 70-80% used as a set up for a great finale. Tao, just read it and plough through all the names and such, it all comes together and you'll understand what's going on.

GotM has a different feel than the rest of Malazan. I believe it was originally written to be a movie, don't quote me on that, but I believe I heard that before.

Memories of Ice, the 2nd novel in the series, is probably my favorite novel outside of anything TSA. Great Book.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #281 on: November 18, 2017, 04:53:37 pm »
GotM has a different feel than the rest of Malazan. I believe it was originally written to be a movie, don't quote me on that, but I believe I heard that before.

Originally E&E had crafted it as a screenplay, yes.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #282 on: November 29, 2017, 09:30:07 pm »
Finished Gardens of the Moon and will now be moving on to the Deadhouse Gates.

Here are my Tumblr reactions:
https://divinesong.tumblr.com/tagged/gardens-of-the-moon
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 04:12:12 pm by Dora Vee »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 10, 2018, 08:13:10 pm »
Finished Gardens of the Moon and will now be moving on to the Deadhouse Gates.

Here are my Tumblr reactions:
https://divinesong.tumblr.com/tagged/gardens-of-the-moon

These are fun, thanks for posting :) .
All I'll say is its a good think you like Kruppe as he's a divisive character and doesn't go away lol.
I hope you make it to the end of your journey.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #284 on: January 10, 2018, 10:50:26 pm »
30% through DeadHouse Gates now. Should post a reaction bit soon. Been going slow though.