carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:16:00 am »
I didn't finish reading it, simply too foreign to my interests for my corpse's treatment - all of my organs ( including skin ) are available for transplantation with the remainder available for scientific study ( with the caveat I don't end up intact as a cadaver in a med school somewhere, but feel free to pull me apart and study whatever any scientist wants to experiment, etc ). If anything remains, cremation with my ashes tossed off The Skyway Bridge with the direction to spend as little money as possible ( I gave the wife an idea to grab any coffee can and bring to the funeral parlor and insist it has some significance and must be used to house the remains ... no money spent on urns, no nothing ). She can throw a party if she so desires.

So, without judgement, I'm a world apart from any who find exotic treatments of their corpse worthwhile.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 03:20:32 pm »
So, without judgement, I'm a world apart from any who find exotic treatments of their corpse worthwhile.

Agreed. Certainly seems like a waste of money for someone who's dead.
Though recently I have realized - through personal experience - that much of what is done is for those left alive, and thus the issue is clouded.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 05:09:25 pm »
Agreed, no judgement or criticism from me on how people want to freely/legally spend their dough. Lord knows I've flushed some coin down the toilet over the years. That said, this does have the odor of Pyramid envy  :D ... now, if no one is interested in any of my body parts for the common good ( no big surprise if there weren't ), and it was free, mummification to scare the shit out of people would be fun.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 06:02:27 pm »
I'd rather be trapped in a wheel of dying geriatrics than kiss goodbye to conscious existence, but in the eventuality I'd want to rot somewhere and then have my children (if I have any at this time) take my bones and exhibit them in their homes.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 06:52:17 pm »
I'd rather be trapped in a wheel of dying geriatrics than kiss goodbye to conscious existence, but in the eventuality I'd want to rot somewhere and then have my children (if I have any at this time) take my bones and exhibit them in their homes.

Now this is a love of life  :D

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 07:01:59 pm »

No, it's a fear of death.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 07:17:57 pm »

No, it's a fear of death.

Work with me! Well, that would be a strong reason to keep living ...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 03:54:16 pm »
all of my organs ( including skin ) are available for transplantation with the remainder available for scientific study ( with the caveat I don't end up intact as a cadaver in a med school somewhere, but feel free to pull me apart and study whatever any scientist wants to experiment, etc ).

Lol - bold claims, friend. Probably my organs are already not worth donating to others (much less to science - though, I suppose they'll take any old cadaver so that med students or coroners can learned to carve us up).

I've thought about three - though likely I'll be lucky if my family takes the time or spends the money to bury me at all:

- I've heard about the mushroom suit before and I enjoy the idea of decomposing more quickly and recycling my pieces back into the biosphere.
- Similarly, there is a company that buries you in a fashion so that your decomposition directly facilitates the growth of a tree (I'm sure Bakker would love that one - my direct and/or peripheral descendants can sit with the Demonic Simulacrum of me and after a hundred years, its sentience will spark anew ;)). I do like the idea of forest cemeteries.

However, in both those cases, I remain earthbound and thus my matter be obliterated regardless when the earth is swallowed by the sun or otherwise rendered incapable of a biosphere. Thus, the third option:

- Have my ashes turned into a diamond (and subsequently launched into space).

I just can't decide whether I want my matter to be recycled into the biosphere or floating through the abyss indefinitely ;).

Bonus option: Funeral Pyre Party (though, that contributes negatively to the biosphere... but everyone seems to love a good bonfire).

Though recently I have realized - through personal experience - that much of what is done is for those left alive, and thus the issue is clouded.

Yeah - that's why I've always found Card's concept of the Speakers for the Dead very enticing, regardless of my above choices.

now, if no one is interested in any of my body parts for the common good ( no big surprise if there weren't ), and it was free, mummification to scare the shit out of people would be fun.

With every scream, your victims would hear a Tao chuckle on the wind ;).

Actually, doing this as a memento mori practice was very common historically. Also, skull dishware!, which I'm sure I've linked around here before.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:56:06 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 04:26:39 pm »
Quote from:  Madness
Similarly, there is a company that buries you in a fashion so that your decomposition directly facilitates the growth of a tree (I'm sure Bakker would love that one.

Seen this and its what i want done with me. I will put it in my will and the funds will be set aside for it. I jus think its awesome.

I am an organ donor. And, quite frankly how can't you be. That your death might save a life....in all for it. I think its seriously an ass move not to be a donor. Like, why so you need your liver when your dead? If I could save someone out there, just an extra Karma point.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 08:06:29 pm »
I've thought about three - though likely I'll be lucky if my family takes the time or spends the money to bury me at all:

- I've heard about the mushroom suit before and I enjoy the idea of decomposing more quickly and recycling my pieces back into the biosphere.
- Similarly, there is a company that buries you in a fashion so that your decomposition directly facilitates the growth of a tree (I'm sure Bakker would love that one - my direct and/or peripheral descendants can sit with the Demonic Simulacrum of me and after a hundred years, its sentience will spark anew ;)). I do like the idea of forest cemeteries.

However, in both those cases, I remain earthbound and thus my matter be obliterated regardless when the earth is swallowed by the sun or otherwise rendered incapable of a biosphere. Thus, the third option:

- Have my ashes turned into a diamond (and subsequently launched into space).

I just can't decide whether I want my matter to be recycled into the biosphere or floating through the abyss indefinitely ;).

Those are awesome, didn't know about them. They are tempting ( can the tree thing be done with remains left over after donation? ), I'll stick with donation/cremation for now.

With every scream, your victims would hear a Tao chuckle on the wind

Oh, don't you know it, brother! The opportunity to haunt should convert you cats dissing on the idea of an afterlife.

I am an organ donor. And, quite frankly how can't you be. That your death might save a life....in all for it. I think its seriously an ass move not to be a donor. Like, why so you need your liver when your dead? If I could save someone out there, just an extra Karma point.

With you more than you know - the rub is some people want an open casket funeral ( for which I've always felt needlessly macabre ) and/or donation of skin and eyes mutilating the corpse preventing viewing, etc. But doesn't bother me a bit, any/all of it can be used to help others. Tear me asunder!

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 09:36:41 pm »
Quote from:  TaoHorror
Those are awesome, didn't know about them. They are tempting ( can the tree thing be done with remains left over after donation? ), I'll stick with donation/cremation for now.

1. You quoted me, Madness said that. Just letting you know.

2. I said that I want to do the tree thing and put it in my will and all that, even know where I want the tree to go. But, you being up a conundrum. I am also a donor. I will have to see if that's even possible. Now, I am only a organ donor, so I don't see why they can't throw the rest of me into a bag and watch me fork into the many possibilities of the Trance....
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 02:01:06 pm »
2. I said that I want to do the tree thing and put it in my will and all that, even know where I want the tree to go. But, you being up a conundrum. I am also a donor. I will have to see if that's even possible. Now, I am only a organ donor, so I don't see why they can't throw the rest of me into a bag and watch me fork into the many possibilities of the Trance....

This certainly seems ideal to me. Cut out whatever bits are useful for someone and then put me in a hole somewhere to make a tree :) .
"Put the rest n a bag" - lol

Having been to, now, a few open caskets ... I personally don't really see why you'd do it. The person looks, well, like a painted corpse. Some visitors get something out of it, but I don't. In fact, I preferred to not see the corpse because c'mon,  you really want that to be the last image you see of them?

FWIW, they will still do open caskets if you are an organ donor, and they fill the voids left by the donated organs with structures to make it look like the body is in-tact. As the viewer, you'd can't really tell. Granted, I didn't get an itemized list of what was donated, so could be nothing was actually viable for donation, so maybe I'm totally wrong. YMMV I suppose.
One of the other conditions of possibility.