The Slog of Slogs: A TSA Reread

• 56 Replies

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2015, 03:45:24 pm »
Time to depart for the journey boys. December begins next week and so too the Slog. I'm going to likely begin on Sunday and set up some threads to organize things as we go.

I suspect this probably isn't very many people's first reread and that there are a lot of heavily thumbed books out there, so don't hesitate to post even if you aren't reading but just have something worth mentioning/discussing. As I've also mentioned, feel free to read ahead.

As per locke's post:
A highly regular and reliable reading schedule will be the logistical backbone ensuring success of the reading endeavor.
Just referencing the books I have on hand, for TDTCB all of the individual Parts tend to be roughly 100 pages, perhaps 15-20 more on average. Reading one Part per week will easily keep everyone on pace, in fact it should put you slightly ahead of the pace we've set. I'll take a closer look at the following books as we approach them, but a cursory glance at TWP looks as if a decent guideline would be Ch. 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-17 (slight stretch there for discussion's sake), 18-21, and then round it off 22-25.

If more people feel that a syllabus of sorts will help keep them on track, I can spend a little more time putting together something more comprehensive than what is listed above.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2015, 07:43:38 pm »
As said, I won't partake (except in winks and nudges), though I might help organize, but feel free to make threads in the Almanac (regardless if they adhere to my ridiculous expectations).

Strength on the Slog. Slog well. And to quote, with addition, my meager offering of epigram to TSA from my Untitled fan fiction on TPB:

Hold fast all revelation. Each is but another flavor of ignorance. And for one last time shall you partake in ignorance before revelation so forcefully overturns all you've come to know...

EDIT: First Reread Thread
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:18:20 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2015, 08:14:43 pm »
I don't want to derail the discussion over in the Almanac before we even get started, so I figured I'd bring it up here. How would we like to handle spoilers? I was kind of under the impression that it being a reread that everyone would have already been familiar with the five novels. I had also naturally assumed that it being in the title ("reread" that is) that new readers would be hesitant if not previously aware were they to peruse this forum.

All that said it looks like some folks are thinking otherwise. So what do you guys have to say about it?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2015, 08:22:21 pm »
Do open spoilers, Camlost.

Don't make it a discussion and alienate anyone (which I realize you are trying not to do by making this post ;) ). It's a headache. It's been done. You all enjoy your open spoiler reread extravaganza.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2015, 09:10:59 pm »
Open
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2015, 01:05:34 am »
And thus the Slog begins. Rejoice in the madness that will follow fellow Bakkerite's! I shall read and post my thoughts later. As I feel this reread will enlighten me to all that is Unholy and I will unlock the secret of The Thousandfold Thought. Or, I'll just post my repetitive thoughts. Anyway, I've consumed my Quirri (Monster Import) and I'm game baby!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

nicodante

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2015, 06:14:32 pm »
I'm nearing the end of TDTCB already thanks to a long Xmas holiday with no Xbox - some questions that have arisen so far are:

Where are the fields of Eleneot exactly?

What were the consult doing in Sumna following Inrau/Akka and plying Esme? Just monitoring the mandate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2015, 06:20:13 pm »
Monitoring the mandate, yes. Its implied that they are hunting down and killing all of the mandate informants, and likely following around their field spies. Remember the skin-spy in the first chapter.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2015, 11:55:22 pm »

The fields of Eleneot are just East  of Tryse. Here is a great map made by Somnambulist.

http://spiralhorizon.deviantart.com/art/Earwa-4109-sm-489666427
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 12:16:35 am by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

nicodante

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2015, 12:47:09 am »
Thanks guys :) is it ever made clear why they've decided to take more overt action and become more active at that time, after 300 years of being invisible?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2015, 02:46:37 am »
Thanks guys :) is it ever made clear why they've decided to take more overt action and become more active at that time, after 300 years of being invisible?

Hmmm, I think things are just coming to a head, so to say. Aurang, says at the end of TDTCB, that he will be free of this world very soon. So, I believe we're just seeing the beginning of what is The Second Apocalypse. That's my take anyway.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2015, 01:24:58 am »
I'm nearing the end of TDTCB already thanks to a long Xmas holiday with no Xbox - some questions that have arisen so far are:

What were the consult doing in Sumna following Inrau/Akka and plying Esme? Just monitoring the mandate?

Not monitoring the mandate, monitoring the coronation of the new shriah.