'Work and Smile'

• 11 Replies

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« on: December 09, 2013, 07:12:11 am »
I'll make my argument by making an argument for...

We are in a battle, friends! We all know that to earn a living, to have food and shelter takes work! Labour! It always has and always will! There is no getting around it! Nobody expects to get something just for simply being - and with good reason! That's why I speak to you today, beamed live from my office with it's fantastic view! We all know you need to go find a job! To do otherwise is to shame your peers, your family and your spiral into poverty is only your own damn business and fault! If you find yourself living on the many streets of concrete and other land that was cleared of vegetation for dwellings in a fine example of progress, you're inability to find food is your own fault. It's no one elses - get a job! Anyone can get a job! Just grab one like you might grab an apple from a tree, by going to job interviews where a panel will decide if you get the job.

And whether were athiest or religious, we all know land is something that is owned - you have to buy it or there are plenty of kind people who will rent a space to you. If you wish to buy it, you can! By which of course we mean buy a mortgage (it's silly to think that anyone could just buy land outright - that's old mode thinking that weve well and truely moved on from now!). The land is owned - you can't expect you just have some roots somewhere! The civilised approach is to buy rights to land. To expect to just have them is the mark of someone practically a traitor to his fellow men (as they all work hard to pay their mortgages, as they should).

You really need to work if you expect to keep a stocked cupboard. You had to work in the middle ages for your food - why would anything have changed now? All the experts at our panel tonight, enjoying the excellent spread put on, have researched this thoroughly. Weve looked into it - we even have a department, dedicated to checking out statistics on the matter. In fact all our corporate endevours often have department after department, some of them there simply to oversee the others, running various research projects that would simply not work without you and your fellows working for them. Of course we have to tighten our belts - weve taken on various consultants on the board here, with the appropriate salaries for their position, to determine how many positions will be appropriately cut. But remember you can always grab the bull by the horns and get back into it, by sitting in front of a panel (should you get that far in the application process) for them to decide if you get a position with their company.

We honestly couldn't do anything about that situation - were all busy with getting our businesses ahead in todays competitive marketplace. Were desperate (for those of you qualified or needed) for you to keep our businesses strong! Really the fight against nature to get food - it hasn't really changed. Your good notions to work hard and keep your head down? They are as relevant today as they were on the savanna! You know in your heart that if you work hard, you will prosper! We developed in the wild with a strong urge for survival - and that urge has the same place it always has - work hard now! You need to - we need you to, because were all in it together, in this tough battle! And we toast you! *raises a glass of bubbly*. With work, we can all appreciate finer things, just as much as you might enjoy watching a forumla one race on TV, for example - and the champainge they splash around at the end is no mere bottle of bubbles! It's a fine thing - we should know *clinks around the table*. The thing is, you've worked hard for years, knowing that prospering was ahead - and keep working know, knowing it is still ahead! You're a smart bunch and you've figured out that working hard is definately the only way ahead (which is to say ahead of the starvation that we all face should we turn from civilisation) - and without you, many fine institutions and companies could not have formed and have their venerable status. Our corporate meetings are all about you, the statistics of you, in fine detail - often we put considerable effort into collecting data, to make sure they are about you! Sometimes we laugh 'aren't these things only a mother would know?' - but in a way, can't you see how we look after you...you can see it, right?

And of course you need leaders - for, while it's clearly established that you need to work to survive, who will assign the work then, hmm? You have to work - nothing is clearer. But jobs? They don't just come out of nowhere. No, you need people who can lead you into the future - who, while you've got your head down, nose to the grind stone, we keep look out. For you! The helmsmen (and lets not forget these days, helmswomen!) of industry! You're strong, proud, and know your place is with us - should you pass the usual panel. Just stick with your sense of survival, that sense that you have to tough out some rough times if you wanna make it! It's gotten us all this far and it can get us *looking from the camera to around the table* even further! If you realise nothing has changed, then you'll make sure nothing will change - your job position, your qualifications, they will all remain stable and pertinent - remain reliable! For if we were to fall, naturally neither would remain - how could we be expected to maintain either?

So, remember, were in a battle! It's a tough world out there - keep at it and realise that that isn't just about to change tomorrow! So stay strong with what you're doing today! Keep toughing it out! We all think you're doing a great job! There may be regretable cuts - weve had some sad days in top office - but were sure you're doing a great job, or will be doing a great job of getting in front of a panel!

Work - and smile!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 02:59:24 pm »

I'm curious but just what is the argument you are trying to make? If this post had a thesis (if you can sum up the point in a sentence), what would it be?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 02:04:51 am »
What argument do I attempt to make above, but fail to? And how do I fail (if I seem to fail at all)?

If the above seems to all make sense, there's not much point me describing my thesis (since it seems I'm crap at delivering it anyway)

If it seems to beg questions, then you are seeing the thesis already.

Really, if I just wanted to pitch the thesis directly, I'd have just done it already. I'm sure you'll respect my wishes.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 12:50:08 pm »
been to a motivational meeting for employees recently?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 01:36:50 pm »
What argument do I attempt to make above, but fail to?

You are trying to convince us that it is necessary to slave for others for the good of our handlers, who have our best intentions at heart... you fail because I refuse that I must labour for another based on those words. I do until I've found an adequate way to rebel or die trying.

And how do I fail (if I seem to fail at all)?

Was that the argument you were trying to make? And if it's not, then you failed at communicating your argument, at least to me.

If the above seems to all make sense, there's not much point me describing my thesis (since it seems I'm crap at delivering it anyway)

Well, if people knew what your thesis actually was, they could offer helpful criticisms that could lead to you having sharper writing in the future?

But no, it doesn't make lot of sense, to me, because I could never tolerate being in such an environment without changing it.

If it seems to beg questions, then you are seeing the thesis already.

Really, if I just wanted to pitch the thesis directly, I'd have just done it already. I'm sure you'll respect my wishes.

Lol. Build your bubble all you want.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 04:34:40 pm »
I thought I put so much question begging stuff into that post. It actually seems like a cohesive argument?

I grant I didn't want to go baroque where the corporate guy just points and laughs or anything. I repeated the same dang arguments I see on TV and in media, but leaving in the little details they are smart enough (in regard to their agenda) not to emphasize. But man, he's talking about how you have to work for your food, while he sits at a banquet in a sky scraper? I can't believe I was still writing an argument without flaws in writing that?

I've got the chills - I thought I'd left so much fucking evidence behind in their message?

But I've thought that - authors might think they've sub textually assassinated the target, but perhaps they've just supported them instead. The subtext missed.

It might seem like I'm giving away my thesis now, but I'm not. How one reacts - if one gets angry, or wants to fight them, and the particulars of how (if one would fight them) one would fight - that's in particular to the reader.

The thing is when you say the thesis, its kind of like saying 'get angry my way, and fight my way' - which sucks. People have their own ways of getting angry (if at all) and fighting (if at all).

been to a motivational meeting for employees recently?
I watch TV, yes.

The perverse thing is it struck me - could I actually make money by being a motivational speaker, having the audacitity to actually go around and while talking the coporate talk, actually undermining the message at each meeting - and being paid for it???

Or did they already make a movie about that? Now there (given how many meetings a movie requires) would be irony!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 02:20:04 pm »
theĀ·sis
noun
noun: thesis; plural noun: theses

a statement or theory that is put forward as a premise to be maintained or proved.
    synonyms: theory, contention, argument, line of argument, proposal, proposition, idea, claim, premise, assumption, hypothesis, postulation, supposition More
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Garet Jax

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 04:06:25 pm »
Do you work for my company Callan?

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 11:35:37 pm »
I merely carry within me a copy of the humonculous that you work for, Garet.

You don't even have to physically touch a shrivled, Seswathian corporate heart to obtain it!

Mike,

Genre: Something to create even as you subvert it.

Edit: I wish I had fitted in 'how we should just be happy, follow our heart, make opportunities happen, trust our gut, believe in ourselves, just do it, pray for a better tomorrow, be thankful for what we got, dare to dream, and find ourselvesā€¦' somewhere in it!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 07:24:13 am by Callan S. »

The Great Scald

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 10:18:04 pm »
OP, do you need some vinegar with that word salad?

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 11:09:37 pm »
Heh, and on the other side I have people saying I have a crazy conspiracy theory that corporations and government force a fake resource shortage to keep people working.

What's vinegar when you have bile?

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 11:38:26 am »
I find it remarkable how the very same piece of writing can seem to one person to be so obviously satire as to require no comment, while to another person it seems so earnest that the possibility of it perhaps being satire never even crosses the mind.

Poe's Law strikes again.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."