Quotes

• 307 Replies

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2019, 11:16:42 pm »
“Look at the wall. Form a clear representation of it in your mind.

Now, look at yourself, represent to yourself internally yourself looking at the wall.

Who is now doing the looking?”
 -Fitche
Do you mean Fichte?
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2019, 11:22:18 pm »

Now, look at yourself, represent to yourself internally yourself looking at the wall.

-Fitche
Do you mean Fichte?

Fuck...yeah.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2019, 11:30:26 pm »

-Fitche
Do you mean Fichte?

Fuck...yeah.
Sorry for the pedantic intrusion, sci. Shall I delete my comments and allow you to make the edit?
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2019, 12:46:51 am »

-Fitche
Do you mean Fichte?

Fuck...yeah.
Sorry for the pedantic intrusion, sci. Shall I delete my comments and allow you to make the edit?

Haha no worries, I appreciate the correction - my response was meant to be read as a humorous admission of fault. OTL

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2019, 03:47:40 am »

-Fitche
Do you mean Fichte?

Fuck...yeah.

Haha no worries, I appreciate the correction - my response was meant to be read as a humorous admission of fault. OTL
Oh, that's how I read it, sci. I just wanted to afford you the opportunity to "restart" the quote. Cheers!

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2019, 05:27:52 pm »
“The inferno of the living is not something that will be; if there is one, it is what is already here, the inferno where we live every day, that we form by being together. There are two ways to escape suffering it. The first is easy for many: accept the inferno and become such a part of it that you can no longer see it. The second is risky and demands constant vigilance and apprehension: seek and learn to recognize who and what, in the midst of inferno, are not inferno, then make them endure, give them space.”

― Italo Calvino, Invisible Cities

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2019, 05:40:02 pm »
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition but certainty is absurd one."

-Voltaire
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2019, 05:20:54 am »
"There are no gods, only dead men."

----------------------------------------------------------

‘The reason that souls condemned to Damnation always suffer eternally is because their only hunger is hatred, and so they hate all things universally, including themselves and Creation and God its Architect. Fury becomes the backbone of blind, screaming outrage at the sheer arrogance of existence, the very Thing-in-Itself: this is the true sustenance of Hell. Fuel for an impossible machine, suffering made into a parasite of suffering, like an autophagous serpent consuming its own ever-regenerating tail. So you see why Hell is a circle -- a wreath of black fire that crowns a towering and ghostly pillar of rings, plummeting into the abyssal jaws of time. The Pit and its ruler Annihilation masticate in the dark and groan forever with the same bottomless hunger; so the eyes of Men are never satisfied.”
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 05:26:24 am by Francis Buck »

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2019, 04:50:27 pm »

‘The reason that souls condemned to Damnation always suffer eternally is because their only hunger is hatred, and so they hate all things universally, including themselves and Creation and God its Architect. Fury becomes the backbone of blind, screaming outrage at the sheer arrogance of existence, the very Thing-in-Itself: this is the true sustenance of Hell. Fuel for an impossible machine, suffering made into a parasite of suffering, like an autophagous serpent consuming its own ever-regenerating tail. So you see why Hell is a circle -- a wreath of black fire that crowns a towering and ghostly pillar of rings, plummeting into the abyssal jaws of time. The Pit and its ruler Annihilation masticate in the dark and groan forever with the same bottomless hunger; so the eyes of Men are never satisfied.”

Whoah nice! Are these originals drawn from your writing?

=-=-=

"THE cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack
of light between two eternities of darkness. Although the two are identical twins, man, as a rule,views
the prenatal abyss with more calm than the one he is heading for (at some forty-five hundred heartbeats an hour).
I know, however, of a young chronophobiac who experienced something like panic when looking for
the first time at homemade movies that had been taken a few weeks before his birth. He saw a world
that was practically unchanged—the same house, the same people—and then realized that he did
not exist there at all and that nobody mourned his absence. He caught a glimpse of his mother waving
from an upstairs window, and that unfamiliar gesture disturbed him,as if it were some mysterious farewell.
But what particularly frightened him was the sight of a brand-new baby carriage standing there on the
porch, with the smug, encroaching air of a coffin; eventhat was empty, as if, in the reverse course of events,
his very bones had disintegrated." 

-- Nabokov's opening paragraph of SPEAK, MEMORY

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2019, 04:30:18 pm »

Whoah nice! Are these originals drawn from your writing?

Lol, indeed. Testing out some of my 'in-universe chapter quotes'. Writing fake scripture is hard but it's getting easier, as time goes on...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2019, 04:40:08 pm »
I hope some day you get a book published FB.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2019, 05:04:52 pm »
Thank you Wilshire, that is encouraging!

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2019, 03:56:23 pm »
"The rationals are spotted in the line like stars in a black sky while the dense blackness is the firmament of the irrationals"
  -G. Cantor

In honor of this reference to Peter Sas's work...

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2019, 01:59:13 pm »
Love is at the root at everything, all learning, all relationships, love or the lack of it.

- Fred Rogers ( "Mr. Rogers" )
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2019, 10:16:58 pm »
It is the most advanced industrial society which feels most directly threatened by the rebellion, because it is here that the social necessity of repression and alienation, of servitude and heteronomy is most transparently unnecessary, and unproductive in terms of human progress. Therefore the cruelty and violence mobilized in the struggle against the threat, therefore the monotonous regularity with which the people are made familiar with, and accustomed to inhuman attitudes and behavior-to wholesale killing as patriotic act.

Herbert Marcuse - The Individual in the Great Society

Well, hot damn Herbert, tell us how you really feel...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira