Eanna and the 144k

• 25 Replies

Inraus Ghost

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:09:03 pm »
I'm curious about what, if any actions the consult have taken against the rest of the continent. Probably not something that will ever get covered but still.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 03:33:36 pm »
Well Earwa is a pretty enormous continent, so its possible there just isn't much land mass left for people to live on. Remember that the 4 of the 5 tribes of men all came over from Eanna, so there wasn't much left on that side. My guess if that they are totally enslaved by the Inchoroi at this point, and they might even be the 144k that they hope to leave alive. That way they can just exterminate everyone west of the mountains and not have to worry about killing too many.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Inraus Ghost

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:51:24 pm »
The Xiuhianni had 2000 years to repopulate Eanna before the FA. With only themselves (as far as we know) to contend with for space and resources. So I think, baring major catastrophe, they could fill the empty space pretty well. But I doubt the consult has been licking their wounds for the whole 2000 since. And as the  Xiuhianni lack nonmen allies and the gnosis that's kinda what I expect as well. It'd be nice to know tho.  ;)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:04:40 pm »
Could be that the Xiuhianni (taking your word for it that this is the right tribe) stayed behind becase the where the weakest and dumbest. 2000 might not have been nearly enough time for them to do much mroe than  sharpen stones.
Look at whatever tribe was in TWP, at the end that the Aurang (or Aurax?) torture. They have been isolated for, arguable, 2000+ years and they seemed to not be much farther ahead of the sranc as far as technology goes.

Maybe the Consult will have an army of Humans fighting for them, being bred for thousands of years in the wasted north or in Eanna for fighting prowess.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:18:07 pm »
It's been suggested (by Madness, IIRC) that the Xiuhianni stayed east of the Kayarsus because agents of the Inchoroi (masquerading as gods) told them to. It has further been suggested that they might have been instructed to limit their population. Basically just speculation, of course, but... *shrug* ;)
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 10:08:29 pm »
I'd say most eventualities have been mentioned somewhere on this forum. No harm is reviving them :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 10:17:28 pm »
It's been suggested (by Madness, IIRC) that the Xiuhianni stayed east of the Kayarsus because agents of the Inchoroi (masquerading as gods) told them to.

Thank you, I was on my down to paraphrase myself ;). Except I think it was one of the Inchoroi, not agents of (if you were denoting, say Nonmen or something).

It has further been suggested that they might have been instructed to limit their population. Basically just speculation, of course, but... *shrug* ;)

This one is not me. I think, they've a thriving culture of Inchoroi-worship going on hurr.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 10:02:20 am »
Except I think it was one of the Inchoroi, not agents of (if you were denoting, say Nonmen or something).
Yeah, I phrased that post very badly. 'Agents' was referring to the 'prophets' the Inchoroi (presumably) communicated with directly. The bit in parentheses was meant to refer only to the Inchies themselves, not the said 'agents'/'prophets'. Inchie reveals itself to some loony, declares him a 'prophet' and gets him to pass on the 'Divine Mandate' to the rest of his Tribe, sort of thing?

Unless your suggestion is that the Inchoroi actually appeared to the Tribe as a whole rather than working through individual 'prophets'? But that seems to be against their MO as indicated by the Angeshrael encounter.

:-\
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 12:42:16 pm »
Inchie reveals itself to some loony, declares him a 'prophet' and gets him to pass on the 'Divine Mandate' to the rest of his Tribe, sort of thing?

Unless your suggestion is that the Inchoroi actually appeared to the Tribe as a whole rather than working through individual 'prophets'? But that seems to be against their MO as indicated by the Angeshrael encounter.

:-\

+1 the bold.

Unless... the Inchoroi are the Gods entire. Then yes. But until now it never occurred to me to think that.

The Inchoroi could be the whole, or majority, of the Kunniat pantheon. Or they could have affected metaphysical protocol #57 and wrote beings into the Outside.

Otherwise, the Inchoroi truly did interact with the World when real beings that are the Gods walked Eanna...

Which seems fucking strange, actually.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 03:21:00 am »
I'm torn about Eanna.  I want it to be important, but I also suspect that it just represents a limit on the main Earwa story.  Eanna exists just to give Earwa a border.  If Eanna wasn't there, we'd be curious about whatever was the farthest of far. 

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 10:23:56 am »
But what about the Xiuhanni, MG?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 10:38:18 am »
I want them to be something cool, but I fear they are another 'border'.  If we knew too much about them, we'd go looking for a 6th and 7th tribes that migrated north, east, and south of Eanna.  An over the western sea!

I'm thinking of this interview:

Q: Being as meticulous as you are, have you ever drawn a "world map" of the areas that are outside the ones already depicted?

A: I’m not sure ‘meticulous’ is a word that I have any right to. Any rigour in my worldbuilding is simply the product of having lived with (and in) Earwa for so long. I’ve actually resisted mapping out the entire globe over the years. Ideas for alternate civilizations seem to crop up like mushrooms in my imagination, and the temptation is to make good on them by giving them a ‘place.’

But way back, I wrote this paper on the difference between ancient and modern roads (in the context of a philosopher named Levinas). The signature conceptual difference, I argued, was the way modern roads enclose the globe, the way civilization, in a sense, never runs out for us the way it did for the ancients. At the time I decided the best way to remain true to the ancient headspace I was trying to conjure was to make sure all the roads in Earwa run out, to make the terra incognita in my world absolute.

But this isn’t to say that surprises haven’t been painted across the horizon.

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2011/06/new-r-scott-bakker-interview-part-1.html

It is strange to me that there are 5 tribes before they enter Earwe.  In Earwe, they all live somewhat spaced apart, but in Eanna they lived close enough together for 4 to cross and 1 to refuse to cross in migrations.  I suppose there doesn't have to be a problem there, but it kind of looks like some really selective breeding in close quarters--like a Dunyain thing.

We need a Romeo and Juliet story about a Scylvendi and a Ketyai falling in love during a migration.  They die together, leaping off a precipice into a roiling mass of sranc.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 02:08:05 pm »
Lol.

But why didn't the Xiuhanni come along? And there aren't ever mentioned a sixth or seventh tribe :P.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 04:04:22 pm »
Lol.

But why didn't the Xiuhanni come along? And there aren't ever mentioned a sixth or seventh tribe :P.

I know!  I want to know about them, but I wonder if Bakker told us much, then we would clamor for more more more and he would have to invent more tribes as a human border.  :S

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 09:56:21 pm »
I don't suppose that the 5th tribe still has shaman?  Damnation of sorcery came from some kind of development post breaking of the gates?

They are such a wild card: could have as many people/schools as the Ketyai, could be as warlike as the Scylvendi.