• 54 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: May 28, 2013, 04:28:39 pm »
Quote from: coobek
Does he have an important role to play still?

He is one of the few characters with us from the beginning and I always liked him for not being Kelhus pet. Now with his eyes pluged out and his intellect in tact he might still be a powerfull player although I don't know how RSB can utilze him.

Speculate.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 04:28:46 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
I love Iyokus' character. Always been a fan of summoning shit, and yeah the blind have played such a huge role I think he'll come back in TUC with some badass demons and a fledgling school at his command. But thats just me. The diamotic schoolmen with rise to fight dagliash!

98.4% unrelated:
I play an MMORPG with some friends of mine called Aion. My character name is Iyokus, and summon shit to fight for me :P, and I've been drooling over a black blindfold helm that is only available to characters at the level cap (so i'll never get it but one can dream).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:28:53 pm »
Quote from: Madness
+1 coobek. I think the Necromancer is going to feature big in TUC. School of Daimotic Sorcerers is the only wildcard as far as Scarlet Spires go. I'm also hoping for a reunion round between Achamian and Iyokus - though clearly Achamian mops the floor with him too.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 04:29:01 pm »
Quote from: Mog Kellhus
Yes he is one of my favourites as well and i was dissapointed for his small part in the two last books.Let's hope this will change in TUC!One thing that puzzles me though is that as far as i remember he is the only chanv addict we meet in the books.He is already 128 years old with undiminished intellect and Grandmaster of the Spires.One would assume that many others would use chanv to prolong their lives.Any thoughts?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 04:29:10 pm »
I don't have my books handy, MK, but Eleazaras does reflect at some point that most of the Ainoni caste nobility were enslaved by Chanv's bite... which makes sense as they are closest to the Jekkian outpost.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:29:17 pm »
Quote from: Walter
Elezearas refuses to use chanv because no one knows the origin right?  I seem to recall that.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 04:29:25 pm »
Yeap. By the way, most excellent short story ;) - if I've assumed incorrectly, let me know. I read it when it was first written. Real cool.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 04:29:33 pm »
Quote from: Walter
Yeah, that was mine, thanks!

Its interesting to think about what Iyokus could mean in terms of plot.   I can't really see him as a major character if he remains loyal.  Kellhus has presumably learned his arts, after all.  The open role for him seems to me to be traitor.  But how could that happen with Kellhus's ability to discern motivations?

Here are my thoughts on some things that differentiate him from the other Schoolmen with the Holy War, in terms of how they could allow him to serve a Judas role in the plot.

#1: He's blind.

Could that make him less apt for Kellhus's possession?  If Kellhus' visage is part of what lets him shape people's thoughts Iyokus might be less influenced than other close associates.

#2: He's a Daimotic adept.

The whole summoning Ciphrangs thing is obviously his major salient point.  The Gods are the most powerful Ciphrangs, according to Psatma/Meppa dialog.  They hate Kellhus, or at least some do.  Kellhus mentions that possession can happen when he's talking to the Nonmen.  Could Iyokus be possessed, or become so at an inopportune time? 

#3: He's a chanv addict.

If the Consult are behind chanv they might be able to hold that over him.  Alerting him to the fact that the Holy War's success would mean his death via the lack of the drug he needs to hold off his advanced age might cause him to act against Kellhus's influence.

I hope we see more of him, at any rate, he's a cool customer.  My favorite line from him comes when he learned that Achamanian begged for vengeance.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 04:29:42 pm »
Quote from: coobek
+1 Madness :)

I'd like to see the reunion of Achamian and Iyokus. Somehow I think he will play a role in the thsi aspect as a good guy and maybe a traitor to Kelhus cause. Unless his quite logical mind will follow him the path Sheonara took, but hey now all the sorcerrers are NOT damned so say the Aspect Emperor.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 04:29:50 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
What's the name of the last Cish? Meppa? I kinda idle over a fantasy it's Iyokus. Kinda a passionate demon summoner!

Though chanv dulls the passions - oh damn, spoilt it for myself...

Quote from: Wilshire
I play an MMORPG with some friends of mine called Aion. My character name is Iyokus, and summon shit to fight for me :P, and I've been drooling over a black blindfold helm that is only available to characters at the level cap (so i'll never get it but one can dream).
You dream of having your character brutally blinded?  :o

:twisted:

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 04:30:00 pm »
Quote from: Triskele
Yeah - There's no way that Iyokus can be Meppa as chanv addicts go super pale and Meppa is described as having nut-brown skin.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 04:30:07 pm »
Defection to the Consult is definitely a ready-made possibility for Iyokus.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 04:30:14 pm »
Quote from: WillemB
Defection the the Consult...

Were it not for Kellhus' repeal on damnation for sorcerers, it would seem sensible for all magic users to defect to the Consult.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 04:30:20 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
Iyokus Ieva, just saying.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 04:30:27 pm »
Quote from: Centurion
Personally, I think that Iyokus makes an unlikely traitor because of the fact that he would seem to be tailor-made to fit that role.

We know that Achamian blinded Iyokus with the blessing of Kellhus, and even if Iyokus is not aware of this connection we should probably assume some level of suspicion.  We also might suspect that a combination of Iyokus' addiction and his blindness give him some defense against Kellhus' Dunyain abilities (I believe they probably do), but if Iyokus indeed has the ability and the motivation to betray Kellhus then we have to assume that Kellhus is aware of this himself. 

I personally like Iyokus.  I think he is an interesting character, but I just don't see how he can be a major player at this point.  After twenty years of serving Kellhus it seems highly likely that he is either a true believer, or Kellhus has put measures into place which make betrayal impossible.

To be honest, I would like to be wrong about this.  I think that Iyokus could make a pretty cool foil for the Great Ordeal, and I love it when we're occasionally reminded of Kellhus' fallibility.