Video Game Thread! What are you playing?

• 138 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2017, 12:30:56 am »
Prepare to gag, I'm not kidding here, I have played ToonTown for years ... started when I was teaching my at the time 5 year old the computer and pulled it up and that's all she wrote. I've quit a few times, but always seem to pick it up again. Disney discontinued it ( 4 years ago? ) and it was picked up independently by some college students and got it going again as ToonTown Rewritten.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Hogman

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2017, 09:33:21 am »
Has anyone played Age of Wonders 3, or its predecessors? They are criminally underrated. I've always thought the gaming mechanics would suit a Second Apocalypse game perfectly.

Right now I'm playing Elven Assassin on the Oculus Rift.

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2017, 10:39:37 am »
Has anyone played Age of Wonders 3, or its predecessors? They are criminally underrated. I've always thought the gaming mechanics would suit a Second Apocalypse game perfectly.

Right now I'm playing Elven Assassin on the Oculus Rift.
AoW3 was surprisingly fun however I was turned off by the Word of Warcraft art design.

I think I am just over with high fantasy

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2017, 12:50:50 pm »
Recently I've been putting tiem into Factorio. What a great game.
Went through Fortresscraft: Evolved twice with a friend on our own server
Been about a year but we also used to play heavily modded minecraft, good times.

I got bored somewhere near the middle of Dark Souls 3. Honestly, I got bored of the combat. After defeating Dancer way to early for the lulz, and killing the mercenary guy, I kind of petered out.
Same deal with Witcher 3.

Funny thing with DS3 though, now other action-adventure games tend to underwhelm compared to how polished DS3 mechanics are. Sigh.

Looking forward to Shadow of War and AC:O, if I ever get around to them.

edit: oh and starcraft. I love starcraft.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:00:42 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2017, 08:01:56 pm »
Recently I've been putting tiem into Factorio. What a great game.
Went through Fortresscraft: Evolved twice with a friend on our own server
Been about a year but we also used to play heavily modded minecraft, good times.

I got bored somewhere near the middle of Dark Souls 3. Honestly, I got bored of the combat. After defeating Dancer way to early for the lulz, and killing the mercenary guy, I kind of petered out.
Same deal with Witcher 3.

Funny thing with DS3 though, now other action-adventure games tend to underwhelm compared to how polished DS3 mechanics are. Sigh.

Looking forward to Shadow of War and AC:O, if I ever get around to them.

edit: oh and starcraft. I love starcraft.
Reporting this inappropriate comment to the admins.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2017, 11:43:48 am »
I'm going thorugh the Assassin's Creed games. Currently at AC 3 (played Black Flag and Unity beforehand).

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 07:46:56 pm »
AC 1, 2, and uh either Brotherhood or 3, followed some semblance of a storyline, and were great. Each improved upon the last in a pretty meaningful way. For this reason, I'd recomend playing them in order up until that point, as you'll notice the missing mechanics if you don't.

Unfortunately, the original AC franchise was planned as a trilogy, but the story has gone to hell since they made the decision to scrap that vision and milk the cash cow.

I haven't played them seriously since maybe AC3, as they felt like reskinned clones each iteration, with the addition of terrible bugs/patches/dlc and the rest of your typical fair for modern day releases that took weeks and months to fix. But hey, thats what you get when you churn out a whole 'game' every few months.

ANYway, AC:O looks like they have gone a new direction. Made it a bit more RPG-y, and less 1-hit-ko-every-enemy-and-boss-with-hidden-blade (in the first handful of games there was little reason to have anything but the starter hidden blade equipped as the doge/counter move was always your highest damaging attack AND fully mitigated any damage when timed properly). Which, if you ask me, sounds like it'll make for a better game altogether :) .
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:49:47 pm by Wilshire »

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 04:28:20 am »
AC 1, 2, and uh either Brotherhood or 3, followed some semblance of a storyline, and were great. Each improved upon the last in a pretty meaningful way. For this reason, I'd recomend playing them in order up until that point, as you'll notice the missing mechanics if you don't.

Unfortunately, the original AC franchise was planned as a trilogy, but the story has gone to hell since they made the decision to scrap that vision and milk the cash cow.

That's the impression i got from them as well. My favorite of the original series is the Ezio trilogy, which does a pretty good job of fleshing out the character. My biggest gripe with the latter iterations is that they completely ignored the present storyline following the Abstergo events of Black Flag. Now, I understand that those segments were never the most compelling parts of the game, but they were crucial to the overall experience.

I haven't played them seriously since maybe AC3, as they felt like reskinned clones each iteration, with the addition of terrible bugs/patches/dlc and the rest of your typical fair for modern day releases that took weeks and months to fix.  typical fair for modern day releases But hey, thats what you get when you churn out a whole 'game' every few months.

I was lucky to only jump into Unity in late 2015, when they had more or less ironed out most of the bugs. Now, Brotherhood and Revelations were full of bugs.

ANYway, AC:O looks like they have gone a new direction. Made it a bit more RPG-y, and less 1-hit-ko-every-enemy-and-boss-with-hidden-blade (in the first handful of games there was little reason to have anything but the starter hidden blade equipped as the doge/counter move was always your highest damaging attack AND fully mitigated any damage when timed properly). Which, if you ask me, sounds like it'll make for a better game altogether :) .

Agreed, I tend to use the hidden blade for most things. Revelations had so much variation with the bombs  you could craft, yet I only tried a few of them.
I like what I've seen of Origins so far. My main concern is what will they do with the present storyline. I really hope we don't spend the whole game in the animus.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2017, 12:57:34 pm »
Desmond's story was compelling and the 'present day' tie in with the Templar really made the whole thing flow really well. It made the stories seem more meaningful.

My favorite character was probably Altair, though I know most people really fell in love with Enzio when AC2 hit, and that's when they start branching out the story.

I listened to some interviews with the devs early on, and Desmond was supposed to be this ultimate convergence of assassin bloodline families, which allowed him to uniquely be able to play through basically all the past lives - and subsequently was supposed to be the ultimate present day assassin... Ah well, they scraped it all.

IIRC, I started getting tired of them around Brotherhood. After that, I basically did a speed run of whichever was set in America when it was released, and was very disappointed. I stopped playing for a few years but picked up Black Flag eventually, still pretty disappointed lol, so I didn't bother with Unity or any other titles that might have been released without my knowing.

My mindset for AC:O is to enjoy it as an RPG with cool fighting mechanics, basically pretending like its a stand alone game and not the Xth release in a franchise. Maybe that'll make it more enjoyable :).

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 05:18:14 pm »
I loved Assassin's Creed up until Brotherhood. Revelations was beautifully made, but I wasn't that fond of it. AC3 taught me a lesson about getting games too quickly. I spent a lot of money for a game that had some great, intense moments, but ultimately meh. :(

I have Black Flag, but have not played it. I have the Vita one for a bundle, but haven't played that either. Unity I refuse to touch.

Was playing a Nersei Proyas playthrough of Dragon Quest Builders, but I stopped at the final battle. Sometimes I do that with playthroughs because after the final battle is the end. :( Does have Terra Incognita though and that's like Terraria.

Will most likely do a Proyas build for either Dark Souls II SOTFS or Dark Souls III. Gee, I wonder what kind of build he would be.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2017, 05:27:16 pm »
I have Black Flag, but have not played it. I have the Vita one for a bundle, but haven't played that either. Unity I refuse to touch.

After the original, briefly, Black Flag might have been the only one I ever gave time to because I was at my sister's for a period of months.

I have a feeling only the mechanics of ship-piloting were unique to BF, as opposed to others in the series.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 05:33:24 pm »
Ship piloting 3 was a HUGE pain in the ass. It got good at the last naval battle, but too little, too late.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 06:02:59 pm »
Will most likely do a Proyas build for either Dark Souls II SOTFS or Dark Souls III. Gee, I wonder what kind of build he would be.
DS3 is the only one I partially played, and yeah, thats a good setting to stick Proyas in, same with Saubon and Cnaiur as well. There's even a Cinder Sword in TUC lol.

DS in general seems like a great franchise, but I just don't have the time for it. Truth be told, I got tired of the dodge, roll, strike, roll, dodge mechanics. I could feel that I had missed much of the plot from the previous games, so what bits where there just weren't enough to keep me going. Fun game though.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2017, 08:45:56 pm »
Playing Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First sin right now. Sticking Proyas in here too. I think it's obvious that he's a quality/faith  build.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2017, 04:56:37 pm »
Assassins Creed Origins. Very good. It’s like an egyptian witcher.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.