H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2019, 11:49:52 am »
If this is a reprint of the Avalon Hill original - man, this is one fun game. Thanks for the heads up :) ... will any pre-order online from any online shop get them or from a specific site?

Yes, it's a reprint of that game.  From what I understand, it is a pretty good game, expensive and somewhat hard to find on the secondary market.

The preorder must be direct from GF9, my fault, I meant to put a link to their shop to preorder.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2019, 04:49:29 pm »
If this is a reprint of the Avalon Hill original - man, this is one fun game. Thanks for the heads up :) ... will any pre-order online from any online shop get them or from a specific site?

Yes, it's a reprint of that game.  From what I understand, it is a pretty good game, expensive and somewhat hard to find on the secondary market.

The preorder must be direct from GF9, my fault, I meant to put a link to their shop to preorder.

It is a very good game, I played it when I was young. They did a really nice job of balancing something that is so asymmetrical. It's funny as I read up on this, it's mentioned that Twilight Imperium was "the answer" to there having no Dune reprint for so long. I played Twilight Imperium this year for the first time and was thinking at the time that this was the first game since Dune with such a beautifully designed political component to the game, not knowing there was an ode to Dune during it's design. Twilight Imperium is the funnest game I played this year and I played about 10 new games ( all the current greats: Sythe, Terraforming Mars, Mansions of Madness, Lords of the Rings, Descent, Viticulture ... but not Gloomhaven yet ). I would put Dune in same class as all of these gems - those old Avalon Hill games were expertly designed, making them gems still today.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2019, 04:52:10 pm »
TH, I played terraforming mars. Quite a lot of fun! Though of course, winning is always fun lol. Terraforming Mars - I agree with TH's assesment above. Its quite a fun game! I like the theme, the flavor text on the cards is fun, and there's a lot of great details on the artwork. Definitely a lot of mechanics to keep track of, but ultimately not too terrible to wrap your mind around. Less going on than Scythe, for example. I managed a win on my first go, I think I got lucky with a couple cards early, but it seems you can win without needing to absolutely understand every mechanic. Just knowing the end game condition and that you can spread yourself too thinly to be effective is enough to eek out a victory. This is true for most Engine Building games though, so no surprise there.

Azul - Easy to set up, easy to play, quick (multiple games in an hour), plays well with 4... and plenty of strategy despite all that. Definitely recommended.

Castle Panic! - This is a fun cooperative game where you defend your castle against an army of incoming Orcs, goblins, and other creatures. Plays 4, is pretty fast (maybe 60-90 minutes), and is usually well balanced to where you find yourself close to losing but not necessarily overwhelmed. Short and longer play setups are present, and from what I've  gathered the longer setups tend to be much more difficult.

---

That Dune game looks entertaining. Not sure I want to spend $50 on a preorder, but its an old game that appears well loved... and bonus tokens is a pretty nice perk for simply paying retail.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 04:55:30 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2019, 12:58:39 pm »
I doubt it, but on the off chance there are some MechWarrior/BattleTech fans here that haven't seen this yet, I'll post it.

BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter is over 1.2 million dollars right now.  Plastic redesigns of Clan and Inner Sphere mechs, plus lots of other add ons.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2019, 01:17:24 pm »
I doubt it, but on the off chance there are some MechWarrior/BattleTech fans here that haven't seen this yet, I'll post it.

BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter is over 1.2 million dollars right now.  Plastic redesigns of Clan and Inner Sphere mechs, plus lots of other add ons.

I've not played it. 1.3 million KS, impressive :)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2019, 01:28:48 pm »
I've not played it. 1.3 million KS, impressive :)

It's an "old, old game."  I think this year is actually it's 35th anniversary, we played it as kids back in the early 90's.  It's a very un-Modern game, in the sense that it is relatively rules-heavy and accounting-heavy compared to any game that people would be likely to make nowadays.  But I think that honestly is part of the appeal though.

Obviously the license has been used on a number of computer games throughout the years though too.  I'm going to back that Kickstarter, not that I really play any more, but just to have and to paint.  Just haven't really decided at what level yet...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2019, 02:21:18 pm »
There's 15 people at the top $5k level lol. It seems this is a very popular KS.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2019, 02:53:48 pm »
There's 15 people at the top $5k level lol. It seems this is a very popular KS.

Yeah, I don't quite understand how people have 5k to drop on a game, but hey, more power to them, haha.

Indeed though, the IP itself is pretty strong.  I can see this Kickstarter coming in at 1.75 million or so, which seems supported by the data.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2019, 04:17:25 pm »
I can see this Kickstarter coming in at 1.75 million or so, which seems supported by the data.
15 days left and it's at 1.3 million - this thang is going north of 2 million when all said and done. 25% of the final number of backers pledge in the last 24 hours.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2019, 04:46:14 pm »
15 days left and it's at 1.3 million - this thang is going north of 2 million when all said and done. 25% of the final number of backers pledge in the last 24 hours.

Yeah, I think that is likely.  But I'm more apt to make conservative estimates, haha.

Anecdotally, I am usually a late backer and would be in this case as well, although probably next week, not in the last 24 hours though.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2019, 02:25:55 pm »
I play the funnest 2 player game I've ever played recently - 7 Wonders. I was skeptical being only 2 player, but it's pretty cool. I lost the first game 54 - 34 ( highest score wins at the end, most victory points ). I annihilated my opponent 2nd game, 84 - 56, hee hee! Anyone else play it? Very fun, not hard to learn, but there is a bit to it. It's essentially resource management style game with some mild cock-blocking. Has a nice mechanic to stay in the game if one player is kicking the shit out of the other. Like for my winning game, he went for another victory condition that supercedes most victory points and he had it, except he couldn't afford the card when it came to him, man I was in the dumps at first until he realized he didn't have enough scratch - so he wasn't looking ahead and took a few cards for victory points in lieu of discarding to get gold which would've game him the game. Pretty cool game.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2019, 03:56:03 pm »
7 Wonders has a 2player varient called 7 Wonders dual.

7 Wonders plays pretty well with 3, OK at 4 but not ideal. I don't prefer games that dont allow player interaction, and you only interact with the player to your right and your left. I haven't tried it, but there's an expansion, something to do with Ships, that allows you to trade/etc. with farther away players, which seems like a needed improvement (since the base game allows up to 7 to play, more with expansions).

Its one of the first games that I really played. It can be fun, but its definitely not one that my various groups prefer. I think it gets a bit stale with 4 players and no expansions.

Did I mention I played Wingspan? I feel like I already did, but dont see the post... Its entertaining enough, with a lot of fun mechanics, but again I don't prefer games withotu some interacting with other players, which there isn't any... Hopefully its popularity will mean future expansions that let you foil your opponents!

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2019, 06:11:14 pm »
7 Wonders has a 2player varient called 7 Wonders dual.

Oops! Yes, it was 7 Wonders Dual that we played. Sorry, I didn't know much about the game to know we were playing the 2-player only version of it.

... but again I don't prefer games withotu some interacting with other players, which there isn't any...

I've not heard of Wingspan. If you like player interaction, you might like Twilight Imperium IV. That is the funnest game I've played to date, but we did have a full game of 6 players. The political phase of that game puts it into a new class of game altogether, so much fun. I agree about the player interaction aspect you're bringing up. I find the best games are the ones balanced with thematic play - so for games that limit player interaction, for example, that comes across as they made a game without balance in mind and then balanced it with play testing and you get weird stuff like you can't share items with other players in Gloomhaven ( which is simply jacked for a co-op game ). Descent is much better than Gloomhaven imo as the only restrictions are really just mechanics to manage the game ( like taking turns in lieu of simultaneous action, getting knocked down in lieu of dying so you don't have people sitting around waiting for the game to end, etc ).

We're playing Fury of Dracula next Friday night, so I'm boning up on the rules for that one. Dumb name for a game, but it looks pretty cool.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2019, 12:01:06 pm »
Yeah we played a few games of Gloomhaven, there are some quirks like "no sharing or trading" that seem ridiculous for a co-op RPG lol.

7 Wonders base game has a 2 player rule set, but it adds a non-player character to be a 3rd player. Dual I guess was redesigned slightly to make it better for 2p.

Twilight Imperium would be awesome, but I don't have anyone that would want to play a game like that with me. Too much time investment for the others I guess. Games that size (gloomhaven, descent, etc.) just aren't on the docket.

Wingspan is a resource management / engine builder. You get a player mat that has different biomes, and your goal is to get points by placing/growing various birds on your mat. The artwork is brilliant and pleasing, and it seems to be a good engine builder with simple mechanics which can lead you down a couple different paths to victory.

My most recent purchase was Ex Libris - you play as the curator of a town library. You compete with other players for the best/rarest books, trying to impress the city inspector who assigns points based on size, stability, variety, rarity, and theme. Basically you collect cards in various ways, arrange them in alphabetical order as best you can. Its pretty fun, a worker replacement game, and the book titles (of where there are some 600+) are pretty witty and brilliant making it fun to read them.

Also recently played Bargain Quest, though only about 15% of it as we ran out of time. You are a shop owner trying to sell wares to heroes, who then go out adventuring with your gear. If they live and kill monsters, you get fame, and they get gold which they can then bring back for more gear. They can also die, in which case you get no fame. The dead heroes are rotated out with new ones. Each turn you compete with the other players to attract 1 hero to your shop. This one was quite fun, and I wish I played more of it. There's something of a bidding phase each turn where you compete mildly to grab the best customer who can buy your stuff, which means plenty of interactions with other players without be overly competitive.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2019, 01:00:29 pm »
Twilight Imperium would be awesome, but I don't have anyone that would want to play a game like that with me. Too much time investment for the others I guess. Games that size (gloomhaven, descent, etc.) just aren't on the docket.

It is definitely the sort of game I want to play, just that I don't have the time or anyone to play it with, haha.

My most recent purchase was Ex Libris - you play as the curator of a town library. You compete with other players for the best/rarest books, trying to impress the city inspector who assigns points based on size, stability, variety, rarity, and theme. Basically you collect cards in various ways, arrange them in alphabetical order as best you can. Its pretty fun, a worker replacement game, and the book titles (of where there are some 600+) are pretty witty and brilliant making it fun to read them.

Sounds like fun.  I think I've recommended them to you before, but you might like Stanislaw Lem's A Perfect Vacuum and Imaginary Magnitudes, one is a book of reviews for books that don't exist and the other is introductions to books that don't exist.