Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2014, 10:08:55 am »
3rd impact is the shitter, just like evangelion :D
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2014, 12:02:49 am »
Yeah I'm pretty sure the crash is accidental. Something like 90% of their remaining species died in the crash, and that clearly included a lot of their scientists and such given how they seem to have gradually lost most advanced knowledge of the tekne as time advanced. There's also the fact that the Inchoroi know for a fact there is no cause in the world worth dying for, since for them death means an eternity of torment.

Finally, why use the ship as a nuke? I'd imagine the ship actually had nukes on board before it crashed. They weren't effortlessly destroying every world they arrived at with hordes of Sranc armed with bronze daggers. I imagine they showed up, hung in orbit nuking every population center, then landed to round up and exterminate the survivors.

Obviously these weapons were mostly destroyed in the crash.

Come to think of it, they may have been some kind of "shining pebbles" style relativistic kill vehicles rather than nukes, since that would explain why they weren't used after they lost orbit. Those need the huge acceleration you get from re-entry to work.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2014, 02:32:45 am »
I don't think the inchoroi or the ark died.  Nil giccas et al believed they'd exterminated every last one.  Then mek and shae get in and "discover" the bros.  I think the bros were in an inert state and the non men thought them dead like the others.   When they win, the incorrigible wake the other pilgrims from their seemingly dead state.

All typ0s courtesy of Samsung.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2014, 04:58:14 am »
Shaeonanra explicitly makes it sound like all they found were the twins. Aurang and Aurax are the last of their species. Unless they've managed to clone more after re-mastering the Tekne.

And the Ark did die, if the Inchoroi themselves are to be believed. The Ark was a biotechnological construct. The walls inside used to be coated with flesh. Given that the Inchoroi used to call themselves "Children of the Ark", and Seswatha referred to the Ark as their Father, I believe that by the time they arrived in Earwa, the Ark was where new Inchoroi came from. Some sort of synthetic biology engineered mass cloning or artificial insemination factory.

However during the impact, the organic parts of the Ark seem to have died, and the surviving Inchoroi lacked either the knowledge or tools to regrow them. Thus they were unable to replace any of their number, and the Nonmen slowly ground them down until only Aurang and Aurax were left.

I do believe they were basically hibernating, somewhere deep beneath the Ark, like you say.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 04:59:53 am by The Sharmat »

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2014, 06:58:56 pm »
I don't think the inchoroi or the ark died.  Nil giccas et al believed they'd exterminated every last one.  Then mek and shae get in and "discover" the bros.  I think the bros were in an inert state and the non men thought them dead like the others.   When they win, the incorrigible wake the other pilgrims from their seemingly dead state.

WOW.  Aurang and Aurax hiding this info from Shae?  I do wonder if their plans include some venture to reclaims dead Inchoroi from hell.  Their seems to be a strong fealty to Sil thing.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2014, 02:13:16 am »
The inchoroi crashed. Just like the non men before them and the humans after them crashed.  All advanced races eventually try to seek and find earwa once they realize damnation is real.  earwa is heaven, and it's denizens war for supremacy of heaven whenever a new race crashes the gates of heaven and creates a new impact crater on earwa.
Well, it at least explains the circles.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the crash is accidental. Something like 90% of their remaining species died in the crash
lol, it was actually >99% died. 1/100 survived (roughly), and a million came forth, (again, roughly), so they had upwards of 100million+ on that ship before the crash

Fuel for fire:

Quote from: TTT, p366
Once he'd even had occasion to speak at length with Nil-Giccas, who had battled through the halls of this place thousands of years before. But nothing could prepare Seswatha for the horrid immensity of the Incu-Holoinas. According to the Nonman King, not one in a hundred Inchoroi survived the Ark's fall from the heavens, and yet a thousand thousand of them had warred against the Nonmen over the course of their innumerable wars.

My bold.

Finally, why use the ship as a nuke? I'd imagine the ship actually had nukes on board before it crashed. They weren't effortlessly destroying every world they arrived at with hordes of Sranc armed with bronze daggers. I imagine they showed up, hung in orbit nuking every population center, then landed to round up and exterminate the survivors.

Obviously these weapons were mostly destroyed in the crash.

Come to think of it, they may have been some kind of "shining pebbles" style relativistic kill vehicles rather than nukes, since that would explain why they weren't used after they lost orbit. Those need the huge acceleration you get from re-entry to work.

We actual know that they never planned to do much damage to Earwa, and I think that should including crashing their ship. The entire reason for the sranc was to hunt down and kill Nonmen, or otherwise eat grubs, so as to leave the landscape untouched. I presume they had reason to believe every world they landed on got a similar treatment. Wouldn't want to spend eternity in your garden of eden if you nuked it ...
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2014, 10:25:16 am »
I think Ni'giccas might have been exaggerating. Someone approximated the measurements of the Ark on this forum once, I don't remember the numbers but it seems far fetched that it could house a hundred million Inchoroi.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2014, 02:59:37 pm »
I think Ni'giccas might have been exaggerating. Someone approximated the measurements of the Ark on this forum once, I don't remember the numbers but it seems far fetched that it could house a hundred million Inchoroi.
It seems far fetched my testicles could house 100 million sperm

Garet Jax

« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2014, 03:40:22 pm »

Not that far fetched, I think human males produce that much in a day or so and spill even more than that each time they ejaculate.

If the ark was asexual, I think the problem would be with the amount of "eggs" it could produce?

Unless you weren't being serious, locke. ;)

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2014, 04:08:10 pm »

Yeah, that does seem a bit far-fetched.

But based on the measurements made a few pages back (4500*450*750 feet), even if we assume that the Ark is completely hollow from the inside (it's not of course) you could barely stack 80-90 million humans in there, let alone Inchoroi. Taking into account all the machinery and parts of the ship and the fact that the Inchoroi are not stacked like sardines in there the numbers should be significantly lower.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2014, 04:21:34 pm »
I don't think Non-men or humans are representatives of success waves of extra-planetary invasion of Earwa. They're clearly related species since they can interbreed.

And yeah "A thousand thousand" probably isn't meant to be taken literally. In this case I think it's just a fanciful way of saying "a shitload".

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2014, 09:28:38 pm »

Not that far fetched, I think human males produce that much in a day or so and spill even more than that each time they ejaculate.

If the ark was asexual, I think the problem would be with the amount of "eggs" it could produce?

Unless you weren't being serious, locke. ;)
The point was microscopic is a pretty crazy idea without scientific base knowledge.  It still feels kind of insane that so many sperm could be in a teaspoon of sperm, it's not a number I can really wrap my head around, truthfully,  I would trust scientists on faith just as much if they said there were 1000, and still be unable to really grasp it.

Like wise we don't know what form the inchoroi 100 million were in when they perished, perhaps they were something like sperm, a larval gamete stage, but with consciousness.

Garet Jax

« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2014, 10:04:58 pm »
The point was microscopic is a pretty crazy idea without scientific base knowledge.  It still feels kind of insane that so many sperm could be in a teaspoon of sperm, it's not a number I can really wrap my head around, truthfully,  I would trust scientists on faith just as much if they said there were 1000, and still be unable to really grasp it.

Like wise we don't know what form the inchoroi 100 million were in when they perished, perhaps they were something like sperm, a larval gamete stage, but with consciousness.

I like that last part.  They could be kept/grown in a fertilized egg state, and born/grafted into whatever was needed within their society at the time.  That could easily account for the numbers and dimensions quoted throughout this thread.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2014, 09:09:33 am »
Ah, I see what you're going for.

http://i.imgur.com/6YiFP.jpg

eta: Actually, that was a joke but now that I think about it the proportion calculated by Somnambulist are exactly the proportion of Noah's Ark given in the above picture multiplied by 10. It seems Bakker was really going for a pokemon analogy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:28:04 am by Ashtinahgma »

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2014, 11:03:16 am »
Congratulations! Your Aurax has evolved into No-god!
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.