Video Game Thread! What are you playing?

• 138 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2018, 01:23:48 pm »
Interesting. Maybe I'll take a look eventually. Might make getting into the lore easier if starting at the beginning? Maybe not - I would probably be just as well off reading a summary of events.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2018, 02:07:53 am »

Lately I've been playing the Real Time Strategy game Forged Battalion on Steam. It's made by Petroglyph - the studio formed by veterans of the Command & Conquer series after EA closed down Westwood. This one is a pretty faithful recreation of Command & Conquer gameplay but it has a massive tech tree, where players unlock customization modules to create their own custom units and ultimately assemble their own personalized faction. It's fun but a little simplistic - it's still in early access so hopefully the team can improve on things enough for a solid full fledged release.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2018, 02:13:29 am »
Wait, people are still making new RTS games? Nice!
And speaking of RTS, I'm just waiting for somebody to re-make Total Annihilation.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2018, 12:57:11 pm »
There's lots of RTS's out there Tleilaxu.

TotalPlanetary  Annihilation was one of the first early access games I purchased ... and I learned a lot about shitty video game companies taking money and dumping a hot steamy pile of shit on your computer as a thank you.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:09:21 pm by Wilshire »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2018, 01:01:53 pm »

Total Annihilation was one of the first early access games I purchased ... and I learned a lot about shitty video game companies taking money and dumping a hot steamy pile of shit on your computer as a thank you.

The original Total Annihilation?  Like from 1997?  I don't recall it being that bad...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2018, 01:07:24 pm »
My mistake, I was thinking of the more recent Planetary Annihilation. I redact my previous comment about Total Annihilation as I've never played it.

I found Dust: An Elysian Tail on my brother's steam account, so I installed it. Sidescroller action game - supposed to have a good story or something, we'll see if I can get through it... I was, and still am, looking for some kind of RPG - but I've found that I just don't enjoy them like I used to... But I want to!!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2018, 01:16:03 pm »
My mistake, I was thinking of the more recent Planetary Annihilation. I redact my previous comment about Total Annihilation as I've never played it.

I found Dust: An Elysian Tail on my brother's steam account, so I installed it. Sidescroller action game - supposed to have a good story or something, we'll see if I can get through it... I was, and still am, looking for some kind of RPG - but I've found that I just don't enjoy them like I used to... But I want to!!

Oh, ok, I thought after I posted maybe that was what you meant, but couldn't recall the name.

I think the biggest disappointment I ever had with a game was "Rise of Legends" which was a horrendous, unfun game.  Reason being was that I really, really liked Rise of Nations, so I was pretty stoked for something along those lines.

I do really like "beat 'em up" games, mostly like the old Dynasty Warriors games, but I just have no time to play anything really.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2018, 03:49:19 pm »

TotalPlanetary  Annihilation was one of the first early access games I purchased ... and I learned a lot about shitty video game companies taking money and dumping a hot steamy pile of shit on your computer as a thank you.
New RTS games are pretty rare though, and usually you can tell pretty easily that they suck.
I bought Planetary Annihilation too and it was pretty much unplayable.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2018, 05:12:42 pm »
OH man. Good. Glad I'm not the only one that thought PA looked amazing prior to release and was massively disappointed.

I might feel similar to No Man's Sky, but I was smart enough not to buy it. Since PA I've pretty much sworn off Early Access games. Or, at least, only purchase assuming no future features promised are forthcoming. So far, so good.

If anyone has any RPG suggestions for PC, I'm all ears.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2018, 07:03:54 pm »
I probably wouldn't have gotten Forged Battalion if I didn't know and trust the developer. That said, it's still very much an early access game and I think it has a ways to go to be something special.

I recently just got Act of Aggression because it was supposed to be the RTS successor to C&C Generals. It looked the part in screenshots and videos but got terrible reviews. I bought it anyway and after struggling to boot it up through various errors and crashes, found out the reviews were right, it's just not a very fun game.

RTS is in a weird spot where the genre really is too hardcore for most gamers today but in the process of making it simpler or more accessible, they move away from the things that would make veteran players want to buy it.

That said, I do think Dawn of War III was an outstanding release last year, at least on the multiplayer front. It's like the classic Warcraft III gameplay of base building and hero units but with modern day competitive mechanics to make the matches fair and progress naturally.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2018, 12:01:19 am »
Been playing Borderlands 2 for awhile.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2018, 02:49:29 am »
I probably wouldn't have gotten Forged Battalion if I didn't know and trust the developer. That said, it's still very much an early access game and I think it has a ways to go to be something special.

I recently just got Act of Aggression because it was supposed to be the RTS successor to C&C Generals. It looked the part in screenshots and videos but got terrible reviews. I bought it anyway and after struggling to boot it up through various errors and crashes, found out the reviews were right, it's just not a very fun game.

RTS is in a weird spot where the genre really is too hardcore for most gamers today but in the process of making it simpler or more accessible, they move away from the things that would make veteran players want to buy it.

That said, I do think Dawn of War III was an outstanding release last year, at least on the multiplayer front. It's like the classic Warcraft III gameplay of base building and hero units but with modern day competitive mechanics to make the matches fair and progress naturally.
From what I saw it was kind of MOBA-ish, focusing on the whole 3v3 thing instead of 1v1 matches. Hotkeys were also pretty clunky from what I remember. I should give it another try soon.

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
  • Only a dûnyain deals in absolutes
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2018, 04:59:27 pm »
Anybody playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance yet? I don't have a huge amount of time on my hands nowadays, but if this game lives up to the hype I will play the shit out of it. Let me know what you think of it so far!
"And I renounce..." He trailed, warred with errant pas­sions. "I renounce my wife."
His eyes fell upon Esmenet, stricken upon the floor. My wife!
"Noooo," she wept and whispered. "Pleaaase, Akka..."
"As an adulteress," he continued, his voice cracking, "and a... a..."
His face a mask of nimil, he turned without leave, began walking back the way he came. The Men of the Tusk stared at him dumbstruck

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2018, 01:40:42 am »
I'm a Battlefield 1 junkie on Xbone, would love to play with some cool TSA folks if such a soul exists. I do play other games but not much MP aside from BF1.

My gamertag is TRUTH SHINES

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
  • Only a dûnyain deals in absolutes
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2018, 11:26:21 pm »
I'm a Battlefield 1 junkie on Xbone, would love to play with some cool TSA folks if such a soul exists. I do play other games but not much MP aside from BF1.

My gamertag is TRUTH SHINES
Damn, would love to, but I'm a PS4 guy :-\
"And I renounce..." He trailed, warred with errant pas­sions. "I renounce my wife."
His eyes fell upon Esmenet, stricken upon the floor. My wife!
"Noooo," she wept and whispered. "Pleaaase, Akka..."
"As an adulteress," he continued, his voice cracking, "and a... a..."
His face a mask of nimil, he turned without leave, began walking back the way he came. The Men of the Tusk stared at him dumbstruck