Video Game Thread! What are you playing?

• 138 Replies

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
  • Only a dûnyain deals in absolutes
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2018, 11:33:47 pm »
Also, update on Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I'm about 12 hours in now. Great Old-school style RPG. The hud and UI look right out of Oblivion. Seems fairly historically accurate (although I'm no expert on 1400s Bohemia) So far loving it, very story-based, with good characters, writing, and choice. It's buggy as all hell right now, but hopefully that'll get patched. Don't even try to off-road with your horse, you'll just break shit. The save system is frustrating (sleep or drink a certain alcoholic beverage to save) but it's a welcome frustration, makes me more wary to enter battle with multiple or well armed foes. All in all I think it's a good game so far, I recommend it to any harcore RPGers. KC:D definitely does not hold your hand, but it's balanced.
"And I renounce..." He trailed, warred with errant pas­sions. "I renounce my wife."
His eyes fell upon Esmenet, stricken upon the floor. My wife!
"Noooo," she wept and whispered. "Pleaaase, Akka..."
"As an adulteress," he continued, his voice cracking, "and a... a..."
His face a mask of nimil, he turned without leave, began walking back the way he came. The Men of the Tusk stared at him dumbstruck

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2018, 02:18:56 pm »
The concept of save anywhere, at anytime, really changes how games are played. I'm a big fan - since I like to be able to get up and leave on short notice - but I think it probably negatively impacts a lot of gameplay aspects. Making it frustrating, but not impossible, sounds like a good feature.

ETA: One example being Dishonored franchise. Stealth type game with some magic thrown in, there's a metric for going through each level without being seen. The concept is great - in-game its called 'Ghost' - and the idea of playing through the entire game without a single person seeing you is great... But I ended up just saving and reloading (f5 to save, f6 to reload) nearly every encounter. Kind of ruined the fun lol. I haven't beaten the 2nd game for that reason for all the stupid save/reloading that I'm doing. I think I'll restart and just play a normal game, and I think I'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:22:15 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2018, 04:55:44 pm »
great example, Wilshire, I'm a big Dishonored fan. I also find myself quicksaving in Skyrim or Fallout before I do anything interesting. Speech skill checks, fights, decisions, big purchases, etc. There's no way to regret anything in those games. What's the point of role-playing if you can't make mistakes? Especially in KC:D where you can fuck up literally anything. Trying to sharpen your sword? Aww you sharpened at the wrong angle and fucked the sword into oblivion and back. Makes me cautious of everything I do. And I feel like if I lived in Medieval Europe, that's what I would be like. Scared out of my mind about everything I do because I'll probably get myself killed. Immersion through fear, I love it! 
"And I renounce..." He trailed, warred with errant pas­sions. "I renounce my wife."
His face a mask of nimil, he turned without leave, began walking back the way he came. The Men of the Tusk stared at him dumbstruck

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2018, 05:08:10 pm »
There's a name for it, and its called 'save scum' or 'save scumming' . Saving before a decision point and reloading until you get the favorable outcome.

I love Dishonored, and I'm disappointed I ruined the 2nd one for myself lol.

I'm guilty of this as much as the next guy I'm sure. Its a balance. Sometimes its fun to lose progress because of a bad throw of the dice, but a lot of the time its definitely not fun.

The Dark Souls franchise covers this up by having the save points at designated areas, but every death is basically just a re-roll. It feels like you are increasing your 'playing skill', and you are I guess, but that entire universe if basically built on save summing lol.

A lot of games add an "ironman" mode - or some other clever name for 1 save file, permanent death if you die. This is way too far for me. XCOM and XCOM2 are games that change so dramatically if you go through without re-loading every bad instance. Kind of like the difference of playing through as the White Luck Warrior or as a human :P . The loss of units, getting ambushed and fighting through bad positions, inconvenient enemy drops/placement, etc. etc., make for a much different play through. I don't know if I'd call it "better" - very subjective - but its far different.

Having loss to balance out success definitely changes a game's feel.

I might have to check out KC:D

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2018, 04:14:51 pm »
Yeah, I always think permadeath playthroughs sound super fun, and then I die 5 minutes in...

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2018, 02:38:03 am »
Picked up my New Game+ save for the Witcher 3 to play on my 1440p monitor. Game is still such a masterpiece!

Old Gnostic Fool

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2018, 10:58:05 pm »
Picked up my New Game+ save for the Witcher 3 to play on my 1440p monitor. Game is still such a masterpiece!

I don't see any game beating it anytime soon. Here's hoping that Cyberpunk delivers the same kind of engaging narrative.
I'm also looking forward to Red Dead 2.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2018, 11:14:13 pm »
Played Persona 5. Love this game. Easily the best of the series in terms of battle, looks and music. Playing NG+ now. TBH, the final boss reminded me of Kellhus and Satanail rolled into one.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2018, 01:08:58 pm »
I got about 1/3 of the way through Witcher 3 and got bored, put it down and never picked it back up. I found the combat disinteresting for some reason.

The last RPG I really enjoyed was probably Dragon's Dogma, which is without argument a lesser game lol.

Never playd any of the Persona games, but that franchise has been around a long time now. Maybe I should check it out.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2018, 01:37:24 am »

I got about 1/3 of the way through Witcher 3 and got bored, put it down and never picked it back up. I found the combat disinteresting for some reason.

A lot of people felt the combat was underwhelming. I always thought it was pretty good but that's on PC at high framerates, so the experience may vary across different platforms and specs.

I've been really addicted to Dragon Quest Builders lately. It's Minecraft but with strong player dorection through storylines and quests, plus Dragon Quest's 30 years of iconic monsters and art style. I played the hell out of the game on Vita when it came out and got it again for Christmas on PS4. I've been making different creations and sharing them between versions, to put them in my custom world.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2018, 06:27:20 am »
I've been really addicted to Dragon Quest Builders lately. ]

I know how that feels. :) I played it after well...TUC went south so I could feel better.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:58:47 pm by Dora Vee »
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2018, 03:26:26 pm »
Nothing against Witcher, I just got bored. Same with Dark Souls. The Doge, roll, attack, repeat cycle gets to me after a while. I don't feel the sense of accomplishment when I complete it. Wish I did - I want to like them lol.

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2018, 02:53:34 am »
I've clocked in almost 230hours of Crusader Kings 2. It's the only game where I can play a Catholic Noble who murder children is Praise by the Pope and can have sex with my siblings and/or murder them. It's good for role-playing as a three seas caste Noble. But there isn't a three seas map and I'm not up to the task of making one.

Sent from my Vivo XL2 using Tapatalk

"Wutrim kut mi’puru kamuir!"

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2019, 03:39:18 pm »
Just beat Dark Souls III. Holy shit that was awesome/frustrating. Amazing atmosphere, amazing fights, huge mistake going for a fucking sorcerer as my first character. Most of my early game consisted of getting killed in 2 hits by every other mob. Can definitely recommend. Finally beating a boss actually feels amazing after dying over 9000 times on your way there. Lots of Berserk references, so I'll just go ahead and assume Dora Vee has already played every single Souls game.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2019, 03:55:17 pm »
Just beat Dark Souls III. Holy shit that was awesome/frustrating. Amazing atmosphere, amazing fights, huge mistake going for a fucking sorcerer as my first character. Most of my early game consisted of getting killed in 2 hits by every other mob. Can definitely recommend. Finally beating a boss actually feels amazing after dying over 9000 times on your way there. Lots of Berserk references, so I'll just go ahead and assume Dora Vee has already played every single Souls game.

Pretty sure DV made a Paladin and called him Proyas or Prosha ;) .
Which, really, any TSA character name fits well into the eternal-hell world of Dark Souls.

Playing Valkyria Chronicals on PC, lots of fun. I find tactical turn-based games hold my interest a lot more than other games these days.