Tips for starting reread?

• 7 Replies

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
  • Only a dûnyain deals in absolutes
    • View Profile
« on: May 07, 2018, 02:43:16 am »
Hello all. It's been a while since I've been actually active (I occasionally pop on just because I have y'all bookmarked) but I recently convinced someone to start PoN and it got the nostalgia goin', so I decided it's finally time to do my first reread. I only finished TUC last summer, but I'm an impatient man you see. So I'm looking for advice for my second run-through. Is there something I should keep an eye out for? Or a certain perspective I should have going in? I know a lot of you have read through TSA more times than I could in a decade, so what has made a reread more interesting? Or should I try and forget everything I know about Earwa and keep a clean slate. Let me know your thoughts and experiences!
"And I renounce..." He trailed, warred with errant pas­sions. "I renounce my wife."
His eyes fell upon Esmenet, stricken upon the floor. My wife!
"Noooo," she wept and whispered. "Pleaaase, Akka..."
"As an adulteress," he continued, his voice cracking, "and a... a..."
His face a mask of nimil, he turned without leave, began walking back the way he came. The Men of the Tusk stared at him dumbstruck

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 02:45:31 am »
Also, sorry, I didn't pay attention to where I posted this, let me know if there's a better place, or just move me  ;D
"And I renounce..." He trailed, warred with errant pas­sions. "I renounce my wife."
His face a mask of nimil, he turned without leave, began walking back the way he came. The Men of the Tusk stared at him dumbstruck

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 11:23:06 am »
I say don't worry about perspectives/themes/etc., unless of course you want to keep track of some particular thing during this reread. :) I myself am only on my very first proper reread (tried to do one last summer, but that didn't go so well and I didn't finish anyway).

Why don't you join the current forum reread? We're reading one chapter a week and are currently on chapter 5 of TDTCB, but there's no reason why you can't go and comment on the previous chapters too (I did the same during last week).
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 11:25:14 am »
I don't think attempting to "forget" what you already know is really going to yeild too much, because I don't think it is really even possible.  Embrace what you now know, I'd say, and look for clues to other things you might have missed the first time.

Keep in mind, we have a reread section and a current group reread in progress.  My aim, this time, is to look for bigger thematic roles of each part and chapter.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 01:31:38 pm »
As ToT mentioned above, there's a reread going on right now - though I suspect 1 chapter a week is a slower pace than what you'll be doing.

Personally, trying to take copious notes throughout ruins the experience. I just read it through, jotting a quick note down for something that sticks out but I don't make a big effort out of it.

Basically the 2nd+ read naturally lets yourself get deeper into the books. You no longer have to worry about all the names of major people and places, so it becomes easier to notice the lesser events that you might have missed earlier. This effect is compounded with the revelations of later books, making new rereads really exceptional.

On that note, I think for those of us that have read it many times have done so typically after a new book is released. With every new book there was some new piece of information that made reading the series entire seem like a rewarding endeavor. For example, Inrau's death scene is massively different when you realize that its plausible that Onkis was actually trying to warn him away from the Consult - but he refused to listen. He also does some neat magic tricks seen nowhere else in the series, but on the first read the reader missing almost 100% of it because of the chaos.

Happy reading :) .
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 04:17:09 pm »
awesome, thanks everyone. Where can I find this chapter a week forum reread?

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 04:32:12 pm »

It's in "The Almanac: PON Edition" subforum. :)
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 08:20:32 pm »

It's in "The Almanac: PON Edition" subforum. :)
XOXOXOXOXO