YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2015, 09:44:24 am »
Just about halfway through The Dark Defiles, a really great series. Morgan is one of my favorite authors now, and was wondering if anyone has read any of his other books, and your thoughts on them.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2015, 07:06:10 pm »
I am a huge fan of Morgan, read all of his books so far, the Takeshi Kovacs series, the standalones and Land Fit for Heroes. Having read the first two books, I simply couldn't wait for The Dark Defiles. And soon as I started it, I noticed some things that I missed in the first tomes, so I regularly went back to them (easier when you have them on a Kindle). And then I realized, how wicked a writer Morgan is, leaving all those subtle hints. Another thing that I came to realize is that all three titles can be interpreted in two different ways - and both make sense in the context of the novels themselves.
Having said that - the ending was a bit of let-down for me, but on the whole I was satisfied as a reader.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2015, 05:31:41 pm »
Thanks Alia, yea, I've read them pretty much straight through. I love Morgan's writing, he reminds me a lot of Bakker. Maybe not in prose, but, he has plenty of mysteries and leaves a lot for you to dig through on your own. I've never done any SF before, Morgan seems a good place to start as any. Thanks again!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2015, 07:14:40 pm »
So, I started re-reading Zelazny's Amber, which I last read about 15 years ago. Unfortunately in translation, as I was suprised to find out that original Amber is not available in an ebook version, although a lot of other Zelazny's works are. Anyway, it's as much fun to read as it was when I was a student, the story is fast paced (after all, Zelazny packed 5 full novels in the space of many modern writers' one), there are a lot of great quotes. The only problem I have is with the characters - they are supposed to be power-hungry, greedy, manipulative bastards with no regard for anything apart from what they want, but they are a bit too likeable for that. (OK, perhaps with the exception of Brand.) But then, I suppose that in the meantime I just read a bit too much Bakker, Morgan, etc.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

The Great Scald

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2015, 10:59:15 pm »
Started reading Peter Watts' Behemoth a couple days ago.

Next up...I don't know yet, but Yukio Mishima's The Golden Pavilion has been gathering dust on my bookshelf for a while, so probably that.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 08, 2015, 04:52:01 pm »
So, I don't remember who had recomended it, but I read Light, by John M. Harrison.

It was ok, I found myself sometimes intrigued but often not really.  I feel I must have missed the point somehow.  I do recall some odd sexuality that I just could not figure out how it related to the plot in any meaningful way.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Raizen

• Suthenti
  • You have to be realistic about these things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2015, 04:53:44 pm »
I'm about a quarter of the way through Peter Newman's debut novel The Vagrant.  It's something quite new to me, post apocalyptic world filled with Cthulhu-esque demons, told from a 3rd person present tense.  To top it off, the main character is a mute.  It's very strange, but definitely reveals the talent of a writer who can make that work and entrance you to keep reading into the wee hours of the night.  Just in case you needed some extra incentive to read, here's the cover art:
Wisdom was naught but cunning made
grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 22, 2015, 12:39:25 pm »
Right now I am reading The Mechanical, by Ian Tregillis.  It's what I guess I would call lite, the best I could equate it would be a style reminiscent of Lynch's Lies of Locke Lemora.  I'm enjoying it so far, at least.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2015, 11:49:48 pm »

Raizen

• Suthenti
  • You have to be realistic about these things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 28, 2015, 02:35:41 pm »
I just finished Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan and I'm moving onto The King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence.  Promise of Blood was so much better than I expected it to be.  It was reminiscent of Abercrombie's First Law series.
Wisdom was naught but cunning made
grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 29, 2015, 09:18:16 am »
Picked up Half a War today.  The type is so huge I fear this will be a very short read.

My non-fiction read is Schopenhauer's Essays and Aphorisms, which I expect will take considerably longer.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #206 on: July 29, 2015, 02:27:46 pm »
hey guys--just finished reading Lexicon by Max Barry, it is definitely something that interested me as a Bakker fan

it's set in the present and dominated by people who have made an art out of the science of persuasion, especially in the sense that they are adept at reading what personality type you have and then using the specific sounds that your particular brain is most responsive to--it's a sort explanation for old legends and myths around different cultures for sorcerers who go do magic with words

it's fun, starts with a bang, right at the beginning a guy gets a needle shoved into his eye and is told to stay very still and answer the question "are you more of a dog person or a cat person?"

also recently listened to A Short Stay In Hell--a man is condemned to hell which is Borges' library and the situation descends into a nonman-like melancholy and madness

working on The Summer Is Ended And We Are Not Yet Saved, an expanded version of Bible Camp Bloodbath, very fun so far, hoping to get around to The Haunted Vagina by Carlton Mellick soon!

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2015, 06:19:02 pm »
if you like Chuck Palahniuk, you might like his short story, Phoenix.  i found it on Amazon for .99 and it's in his new volume of short stories that i'm going to get soon.  vintage Chuck, good like the old stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 08, 2015, 08:40:27 pm »
Just finished Half a War last night by Abercrombie. Great twist to the end of the book, usual JA fashion. I've been on my TSA reread for over a month, just digging in here and there, taking my time. I think I'll finish up this Shattered Sea Trilogy, since its really good and he's just so enjoyable to read, love his humor. Then, I'll try and give Tigana by Kavriel another go.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 13, 2016, 05:28:56 am »
Picked up Half a War today.  The type is so huge I fear this will be a very short read.

It is as long as it needs to be to service the story, which is on the short side but it is good so rejoice. 

I'm happy to see this thread and props to everyone working on expanding their reading list.  I'm a voracious reader myself so reading targets aren't really something I do, so no list for me.