• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« on: December 18, 2015, 03:13:00 pm »
Just finished chapter 1.

Staring at Serwë, not because she reminded him of Esmi—as he told himself—but because the way she stared at Kellhus worried him—as though she knew something …

Hmm, seemingly more evidence to the Serwë as being central to Kellhus' eventually prophet status.

“How is it that … that you see these things? No matter how deep I peer …”
“Ah,” Kellhus laughed. “You’re starting to sound like my father’s tutors.”

His father's tutors?  So, the Pragma?

Who am I? he would often think, listening to Kellhus’s melodious voice. What do you see?

This is a curious quote...foreshadowing perhaps?
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 03:31:55 pm »
We are a bit ahead. Next week is for part 5, and the week after that is TWP, which we never fully decided how to break it down...
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 04:19:04 pm »
We are a bit ahead. Next week is for part 5, and the week after that is TWP, which we never fully decided how to break it down...

Yeah, I just figured I'd get the ball rolling in case anyone was feeling ambitious and wanted to get ahead a bit maybe.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 04:46:12 pm »
Wtf guys! Originally we were going to start in January, now we'll be done with PoN by new year's?

Haha its all good, just maybe slow down a little. I think we should let The Darkness reread marinate a bit, maybe with a wrap up thread or even a podcast.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 05:54:26 pm »
Wtf guys! Originally we were going to start in January, now we'll be done with PoN by new year's?

Haha its all good, just maybe slow down a little. I think we should let The Darkness reread marinate a bit, maybe with a wrap up thread or even a podcast.

New Year?  Nah, I've been on about a chapter a weekday.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 06:21:19 pm »
I'm with you H, but I've refrained from opening TWP. We agreed to a format when we started this, and if a few of us get ahead and discuss everything ahead of the majority, I believe we'll lose the little interest we have in the reread. I agree with Bolivar, we should let it marinate and others to catch up. Or, slog on through if that doesn't suit your tastes.  ;D
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 06:48:12 pm »
Read as you will, but I'm with MSJ. Classic forum, alienating outsiders.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 03:33:54 pm »
Has anyone posted something in r/fantasy about the reread? I did a quick search and didn't find anything. I feel like that's the main place we should be posting to reach as many people who might be interested as possible. Let me know if not, and I'll PM their mods to make sure we wouldn't be breaking any self-promotion rules.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 05:50:02 pm »
I did, Bolivar. Mixed upvotes - and upvotes, not recency, forge reality there so it probably didn't stay on the main page too long. One member gained, though I've not seen Maiev post yet.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 11:23:14 pm »
Gotcha. Reddit can be a tough nut to crack, I'll try to upvote and comment more in the future. I also think we should try to get Bakker to do an AMA when the release approaches, if he's up to it. Might have to coordinate it in advance, it seems like they have the schedule planned out for the next few months.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 11:48:02 pm »
There are a couple things I've talked to Bakker about in that regard. But probably, if those ideas don't pan out, we'll get the Fantasy Hotlist excerpt, Grimdark Magazine's excerpt, Somnambulist's book trailer, and - if I had to guess - an interview with Pat from Fantasy Hotlist. Someone suggested a Reddit AMA on Bakker's blog awhile ago (probably MG) but Bakker never responded positively.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 02:38:16 pm »
AMA is too much like direct fan outreach. It'll never happen. But the list Madness wrote above makes for a lot of events in 2016.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 03:37:47 pm »
Based on the arbitrary rubric of dates: Tomorrow's the day to begin again.

Still hoping a Cast gets organized and scheduled for TDTCB.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 07:09:09 pm »
If there is every a cast contact me so I can make sure I'm free. This reread has opened a lot of stuff and ideas
"Wutrim kut mi’puru kamuir!"

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 07:18:12 pm »
Well, we've been trying to organize a Cast for TDTCB portion of the reread - though, I guess I need be more explicit with this request (like it's own thread or something). MSJ and you have both expressed interest in a Cast (for MSJ's part, I'm not sure he explicitly meant a Cast or the reread Casts).

I'd love to do either but I think a reread Cast should be the next one done.

As it stands, H and Bolivar have signed-on for TDTCB reread Cast but we haven't been able to organize and execute as of yet. I think I'll send out another PM to the five of you now and we'll see what scheduling comes.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer