[TUC Spoilers] Nascenti of Zaudunyanicon

• 163 Replies

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2017, 10:22:00 am »
Teus is just a short form of Thanteus, though that is a strange thing to do for a family name.

I thought that too, just seems weird that it's the only instance in the entire series I can remember where the dimunuitive has been derived from their family name.

Proyas - Prosha
Cnaiur - Nayu
Achamian - Akka
Esmenet - Esmi
Mimara - Mim
Eskeles - ...Teus?

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2017, 11:52:26 am »
I knew it had happened as Saccarees tells Akka it's the reason that no one that touched Ses's heart knew who they were, they all thought they were seswatha. So they couldn't explain about the cure for sranc ingestion. Akka asks him why he didn't tell everyone.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2017, 11:57:58 am »
Isn't the "Seswatha incident" yet another instance where Akka's likening of the soul opening to the Outside under the duress of madness seems factual?
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2017, 12:00:55 pm »
Isn't the "Seswatha incident" yet another instance where Akka's likening of the soul opening to the Outside under the duress of madness seems factual?
I'm of the opinion that the mechanics of Seswatha's heart and the ritual associated with it are very deliberately not elaborated upon at all in the series. There is a revelation there, but it's extremely hard to speculate about its nature, since relevant information is basically non-existent.

Rots

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2017, 12:03:11 pm »
We joked about him having a kind of 'battered wife' syndrome regarding his relationship with Overlook. He seems to think they can do no wrong, and has never looked for a better offer (imo, for fear of rejection).

This is unfortunate. As i get older i see that all of us, regardless of intellect or education level, is susceptible to a legion
of doubts and irrationalities.

What would you have named it? Seemed fitting enough to me compared to the other titles.

The Horns of Golgotterath - Denotes that all the action is in the Ark but doesnt tease out the Consult in a way that
was never delivered upon, again, imho

[EDIT Madness: Fixed quote tags.]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:58:21 pm by Madness »

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2017, 01:47:42 pm »

It does seem that way. I take it we're talking about the scene were cnaiur recollects akka taking a piece of parchment and putting holes on it and laying it on water? Cnaiur discards it cause Kellhus seems to contradict it all. But then Kellhus was probably wrong as Koringhus muses.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2017, 02:43:11 pm »
It does seem that way. I take it we're talking about the scene were cnaiur recollects akka taking a piece of parchment and putting holes on it and laying it on water? Cnaiur discards it cause Kellhus seems to contradict it all. But then Kellhus was probably wrong as Koringhus muses.

Yeah, that's the one.

And Kellhus is mad, we know this.  He even admits it.  He simply can't fathom how mad he is, mainly because he is mad.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2017, 03:10:24 pm »

Yeah, that's the one.

And Kellhus is mad, we know this.  He even admits it.  He simply can't fathom how mad he is, mainly because he is mad.

Isn't there some quote as well that mentions how the mad always think themselves sane?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2017, 04:10:53 pm »
Isn't there some quote as well that mentions how the mad always think themselves sane?

“Some souls are broken in such a way as to think themselves whole,” he said. “The more they are flawed, the more they presume their own perfection.”

Kellhus to little Kel in chapter 1 of TUC.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2017, 05:01:50 pm »
You're great H :) , thank you.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

pail

• Nascenti
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2017, 07:57:18 pm »
Some more nuggets that may not have been posted yet:

• Bakker described his conception of The Outside as follows: If we consider the universe to be an entity, the material world is that entity's conscious mind, and the Outside is its subconscious mind. The various agencies are the fractured aspects of its subconsciousness, which battle with each other for consciousness. I like to think of this as the universe's own "legion within."
  • "Kellhus came to believe that the path to The Absolute lay through The Outside. He was wrong."
  • Ajokli had no relationship with Kellhus prior to the Circumfixion. It was at the Circumfixion that Kellhus's mind was broken down close enough to madness that the Outside was able to slip in. Unless the timelessness of the Gods allows Ajokli's influence to extend back in time, this implies Kellhus's haloes are NOT related to Ajokli!
  • The Dunyain weren't part of anyone's master plan. Ajokli didn't manipulate history with the intention of bringing about their creation. They stumbled upon their path all by themselves.
  • The No-God series will contain 1-2 books which follow up on what happens in the Three Seas following the resurrection of the No-God. The other book will be the story of Crabicus (obviously, this book will be known as The Crabiqiad). This will most likely be the first book in the No-God. He wasn't sure about the order, but he was leaning this way because if he finished the story of the Three Seas first, it would make the story of Crabicus feel like an extra tale tacked on to the end of a complete series. These details made it sound, to me, like Crabicus will not have a major role in the fate of the world, which will play out in the other one or two books.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2017, 08:24:25 pm »
Wow, very interesting.

Any hint if "The Crabiqiad" (lol) will be all devoted to Crabby or will have a glimpse at least of what happened to the others?
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

pail

• Nascenti
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2017, 09:07:37 pm »
Any hint if "The Crabiqiad" (lol) will be all devoted to Crabby or will have a glimpse at least of what happened to the others?

My understanding is that it's just Crabby. In fact, Bakker actually said the other reason he wants to make Crabiqiad the first book is how much it will piss off people who are waiting for a follow-up to the ending of TUC.

Though, this becomes complicates, as the Nascenti learned, when Bakker himself asked to have the italics sections of Neuropath removed from one printing to another...

What I understood from Bakker was slightly different: Not that he wanted the section removed, but that the publisher wanted a "lighter" book so he consented to having the italic section and the afterword removed in order for them to buy it.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2017, 09:15:30 pm »

My understanding is that it's just Crabby. In fact, Bakker actually said the other reason he wants to make Crabiqiad the first book is how much it will piss off people who are waiting for a follow-up to the ending of TUC.

HAHAHA. What a wicked sense of humor.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
  • There is a head on a pole behind him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2017, 09:48:35 pm »
Perhaps Kellhus' interest in the Psukhe liesi n breaking it apart and analyzing it more so than directly wielding it, knowing the inherent Dunyain limitations with it. It's entirely possible that Fane stumbled upon a sorcery approved of by the gods through feeling, despite his intellectual analysis of the World's metaphysics failing to hit the mark.

Given Bakker's comment that the World is conscious and the Outside unconscious, and comments elsewhere that the Gods despise premeditation (seemingly favoring going with emotion rather than rationality in any pursuit), it wouldn't surprise me that the Psukhe, based on feeling, harbors some truth of the Outside independent of Fane's rational, thought-out doctrine concerning it. Kellhus could well have been exploring a way to subvert this, to hide thought as emotion or some such, and needed to pick apart the Psukhe to see precisely when in its process it is either hidden from or approved by the divine.

Could it also be more timey-wimey bullshit? Does the Water, or emotion itself, somehow lie outside of eternity as perceived by the Gods? (The latter I consider less likely, as the Gods are far from blind to motivations and emotional states. "Judge us according to our temptations," and all that.)

All of this would require Kellhus to give a damn about damnation, which remains to be seen.
Kings never lie. They demand the world be mistaken.