• 224 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: May 14, 2013, 08:36:23 pm »
Quote from: Madness
I'm interested in how you all disseminate and disperse Bakker? Friends? Family? Acquaintances?

And I thought, anecdotally, that you would all find this jokes ;):

There's this "Freedom of Speech" board on campus. And once a week I make a point to write something pithy and challenging, which rings especially well with the dissonance I cause being the person standing there, writing what I'm writing...

By the way, "Freedom" wasn't free. At the beginning of the semester, there was no chalk or chalk brush and I purchased them anonymously.... "Freedom" was 4.95 + tax...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:36:30 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Friends mostly. My circles don't tend to lead to people that read much, and Bakker isn't one of those pick up and read just because books. I like to know that the person would stand a chance reading it before I suggest.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:36:35 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
I gave Neuropath to a neuroscience caltech grad who notoriously hates most fiction.  He loved it, but complained there was too much plot getting in the way of the interesting things Neil said.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 08:36:40 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Free speach is as free as free will.

Anyway, occasionally when reading forums something reminds me of a quote from the books, so I quote and maybe give a link.

I'd suggest the books to people at a game club I go to, but then I'd have to read their fantasy books in return, I think! And I kinda don't want to? And I kinda think it might be like with friends in the past who were wild about wheel of time and such and got that intense look in their eye and they could see that in each others eyes (though couldn't speak it), but I just kinda...liked it. I couldn't share that intense look in the eye? So I wonder if I'd be a let down for others when reading their fave fantasy? Or maybe by then I've already gotten them to read Bakker and it's too late for them, bait and switch mofo's! Bwa ha hahahaha ha!haha1hah...

Quote from: lockesnow
I gave Neuropath to a neuroscience caltech grad who notoriously hates most fiction.  He loved it, but complained there was too much plot getting in the way of the interesting things Neil said.
Heh, that's great! Really, to your grad, what Neil says essentially IS the plot. He's just not interested in the sort of 'run around worried by kids' plot.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 08:36:45 pm »
I found, on the interwebz, a .txt file of the complete WLW. Dunno how I feel about that.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 08:37:39 pm »
Quote from: Ajokli
I spend my fridays handing out copies of TDTCB outside the downtown metro station

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:37:44 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
my okcupid profile pic is just me sans pants with my copy of tdtcb covering my unmentionables. on a completely unrelated note, why can't i get a girlfriend

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 08:37:48 pm »
Quote from: Duskweaver
my okcupid profile pic is just me sans pants with my copy of tdtcb covering my unmentionables. on a completely unrelated note, why can't i get a girlfriend
Try a larger book.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 08:37:54 pm »
Quote from: Madness
+1 all. Lol @ bbaztek and Ajokli. There are largeprint of PON and AE, bbaztek ;).

Yeah, Wilshire, Bakker isn't joking when he says he suffers from pirating. He once mentioned that he used to look up how many different torrents and sites were offering his books for free and he just stopped when he found a torrent of PON that had some 40,000 downloads...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 08:37:59 pm »
Yeah he mentioned that to me as well. I feel bad for him, though I can't say I ever feel remorse when I download the big-box stuff so I guess that makes me a hypocrite.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 08:38:05 pm »
Quote from: Garet Jax
I will typically suggest Bakker to any friends that read SFF.  If they can put up with my vulgarity, they can read Bakker... Right?  Out of 5 people I convinced to read TDTCB, only 1 is current in the series and 3 stopped after the first book.   

Interesting side note - The 1 friend that is current in the series is the only other RPG player out of the 6 (me included this time), and also is the only other reader out of the group the enjoys Dan Simmons' work.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 08:38:11 pm »
I'm at about 1 out of 4. Maybe 1.5 if you count the guy that "is reading" TWP (its been a year at this point i think).

My side note, 2 girls, 2 guys. Both girls didn't finish TDTCB.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 08:38:16 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Still skeptical about pirating until some kind of test is made where someone who pirates is either forced to buy the product or go without. I suspect the majority of them will simply go without. Meaning there is no lost sale. They wouldn't buy it to begin with. (but if the majority would then buy it, okay, then I'd concede the point on the matter).

Quote from: Duskweaver
Try a larger book.
Bbaztek needs a pendulous fantasy...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 08:38:22 pm »
Quote from: Conditioned
I think I've stated this somewhere here before but I try to pimp Bakker every chance I get. Friends, family, colleagues, lately if someone says they like Martin, I try to sell them Bakker... I even try to publicize him in MMO's if there is any lit talk. His is the only series that I lend out to people (because I've got 3 copies of each PoN book). That said, I can only say for sure that I've added one or two fans to his list. He is a very hard sale. I understand why though, because it took me several rereads of TDTCB before I really hit my stride with him. His writing is dense and layered; it is much like when I was new to fantasy and reading Terry Brooks for the first time and someone offered me Gene Wolfe, I tried it out and found myself feeling a fool. I could grasp simple parts of the story but found myself missing so much that I was used to. Simple structure, foreshadowing that I could grasp, names that I could pronounce (in my head even lol)... And much of Bakker's work is designed to make you realize that you are a fool. It is a hard pill to swallow.

I do, however, think Bakker will someday get the attention he deserves. Game of Thrones seems to be making people take a second look at the fantasy genre and, like me, find much of it lacking in depth. Given that Bakker is one of the most talked about authors in the Lit section of Westeros and that he is finally giving in to self-promotion once again (his new website and this forum will be where the magic happens) I think his popularity will be steadily increasing over the coming years.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 08:38:27 pm »
I agree that it will likely steadily increase, but lets just hope its at a rate fast enough to keep him writing full time. Children get expensive fast I'd imagine.
I doubt he will ever break out of the midlist author range where he is at now, or at least not with TSA stuff. If only more people would read Disciple of the Dog... that is a book that could really take off. Its entertaining and a quick read but still with the flavor of Bakker. If anyone here hasn't read this book, get too it. It is much easier to convince people to read a 300ish page book than huge series.
Besides it only took him 3 months to write that so he could probably publish a Disciple Manning book every year to keep the cash flowing, whilst continuing to write his more epic novels.