• 108 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2017, 09:19:05 pm »
Oh, and I did finish The Fell Knight (31). It was good, not as good as the 1st, but inwas told it was a set up book for the rest of the series. Certainly had that feel.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2017, 06:38:40 pm »
Total: 8

Forever War by Joe Haldeman

This was OK. Actually, given that its one of the hugo/nebula books, I was pretty underwhelmed. It was a good story and had a good ending - but probably some of the things that were a big deal in the 70's didn't translate great 40 years later. Still a fun read though.

Oh and I don't think I counted:
Total: 9
The Unholy Consult.
Finally finished the published version. Great, great book. Happy with how it all turned out. FYI, I wouldn't recommend listening to it, as there seems to be a lot of meaning packed into bakker's italics/bold/caps that isn't translated properly into the audiobook.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:44:03 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2017, 07:41:36 pm »
Finished Deadhouse Landing (32). Again, best stuff Esselmont has put out there and if your a fan of Malazan, these books are a must.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2017, 08:18:08 pm »
Sorry, still can't edit on phone or I'd add to the above post, but I don't wanna talk much about DL because Redeagl might get his panties in a bunch, lol. Red, when your done, PM me. Id like to discuss it with someone. Well, anyone on the board for that matter. Questions I have and things I want to tease out.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2017, 01:43:56 pm »
So, finished both The Dread Wrym and The Plague of Swords (33, 34). I spoke about this series in the quorum, Traitor Son Cycle, by Miles Cameron. Just can't recommend it enough.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2017, 05:13:31 am »
Oh, and id live to discuss these books, as there is a ton to discuss. I wish one of my great friends here at TSA might have read it and let me know. Or, really, I will guarantee that if you start, you won't put it down. And, then we could discuss. So much to unpack, in the same way as TSA is. Though, I will say, where in TSA you are left to find answers for yourself, for the most part, there are as many HUGE reveals as mysteries that are left unexplained. I could talk about these books for hours. Just like our beloved TSA. So, please, MSJ needs a Traitor Son buddy. All are welcome. The 1st book is 2.99 on Amazon Kindle. Not a huge investment to see wether its your taste, or not.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2017, 05:32:57 pm »
Oh, and id live to discuss these books, as there is a ton to discuss. I wish one of my great friends here at TSA might have read it and let me know.....So, please, MSJ needs a Traitor Son buddy. All are welcome. The 1st book is 2.99 on Amazon Kindle. Not a huge investment to see wether its your taste, or not.

I'm interested, MSJ, but I'm also considering starting the Malazan series. What to do, what to do.....
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2017, 06:02:03 pm »
BFK, you'll finish TSC, way before Malazan. I love Malazan, TSC is right up there with TSA.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2017, 11:48:19 am »
Finished The Fall of Dragons (35). Great series. I have to put this up in my top ten, maybe top5 series ever. Its that good.

Digging back into The Gap Cycle.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2017, 12:52:45 am »
Scratch that, going back to Coldfire Trilogy.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2017, 11:10:39 pm »
Finished When True Night Falls ((36). Going on ahead and finishingblast book in Coldfire Trilogy. Might get done before New Year, I doubt it though. But, 36 surpasses my mark of 20-25 that I wanted to read this year. Probably most books I've read in a year, and a lot of them were very good books. Have a couple series I'm in the midst of, Persepolis Rising waiting on me to start out the new year.

I'd say I'd liken to read some non-fiction, but I've become a huge fan of sci-fi/fantasy. I just love the genre.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2017, 01:39:24 am »
Ok, for sci-fi lovers I cannot recommend Red Rising (3 book series), by Pierce Brown highly enough. I've just started in the genre and am admidittly a newbie. But, it is the best sci-fi series I've read this far. Better than Dune, Gap Cycle, I think arguably The Expanse and a few others I've delved into and can't remember the names at the moment.

It has everything. Great characters, plot, pace and enough twists and turns to make you never want to put the books down. I was really, really surprised and enjoyed the hell out of it. If you like sci-fi, please, for me check it out. Its also complete, such is a plus.

Fantasy. I've read a ton this year. Not gonna mention Bakker, because that goes without being said.

Josiah Bancroft's Tower of Babel, which currently has two books published out of the trilogy, is quite honestly the best and most unique (unique as in all time unique) books I've read all year. He's self-published, which I look at as a huge plus. Trust me, this isn't original fantasy and you won't be disappointed. He could finish the trilogy, and write in this setting for years, like Bakker. Just so much to explore. I have a feeling when the series is done, fans will be pining for more, just like us Bakker fans....yea, that good.

My second recommendation would be Miles Cameron, Traitor Son Cycle. I think 5 books, series complete. More of a traditional fantasy. But, an awesome magic system (and lets admit, a well read fantasy reader loves a good magic system.), great characters (and I mean great, internal conflict, external conflict, the whole nine yards.), plot is awesome, setting is second to none. And, like Bakker religion is central to the story. Maybe not in the same way, but doubt plays a huge part. I've read a ton of fantasy, not much you can name I haven't read. Top 5 without a doubt.

By no means will you like these stories and I'm not guaranteeing you will. Just out of what I've read this year, these are my favorites. And, I wish others would give them a shot. None of them are dummy books. All of them are thinker books, and that's why I recommended them. I know the audience here and I know you guys are a rough crowd to please. Just looking to give you some options while we inevitably wait on The No God. Cheers my friends! I hope you trust my tastes and what I feel are quality books that will keep you wanting more.

Sincerely,
MSJ

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2017, 02:26:03 am »
Scratch that, going back to Coldfire Trilogy.

I read this years ago and liked it - would be interested in what you think.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2017, 03:50:03 am »
Quote from:  TaoHorror

I never knew it was so old tbh. But, yes, I'm enjoying it a lot. So much in fact, I skipped the next Expanse novel, for the last of this series. And, I really enjoy The Expanse, so that tells you how much I'm into the story.

(click to show/hide)

Maybe not a huge prediction, yet I see it hard for both to happen.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:52:26 am by MSJ »

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2017, 04:33:01 am »
Quote from:  TaoHorror

I never knew it was so old tbh. But, yes, I'm enjoying it a lot. So much in fact, I skipped the next Expanse novel, for the last of this series. And, I really enjoy The Expanse, so that tells you how much I'm into the story.

(click to show/hide)

Maybe not a huge prediction, yet I see it hard for both to happen.

Weeeeeell, I take it you don't want a response from me  ;)

Clearly easier to understand than PON.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff