mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 03:37:44 am »
I wonder what a confrontation in the Outside would look like. I imagine that any one god that moves into the realm of another would be at a disadvantage. 100-way-deadlock.

But what if they were pulled into Earwa, forcing an amout of objectivity to their power. Then what would we have (other than a devastated Earwa).

I find myself constanting falling into the habit of treating Earwa and the Outside as binaries--but isn't there someone in the story that claims there are degrees or spheres?  It's weird to think that Yatwer might live in a level that seems like Earwa to her and the even higher levels are what she would consider the mysterious, ineffable 'outside.'

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 11:05:23 am »
The many regions of the Outside then represent diminishing levels of objectivity, where circumstances yield more and more to desire. This, he claims, is what defines the "spheres of dominance" of Gods and demons. As he writes, "the greater will commands." The more powerful entities of the outside dwell in "sub-realities" that conform to their desires.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 02:21:21 pm »
I wonder what a confrontation in the Outside would look like. I imagine that any one god that moves into the realm of another would be at a disadvantage. 100-way-deadlock.

I never looked at it as "realms".  It seemed to me that their power was relative to the amount of "souls that reached for them" and whichever Ciphrang had the most souls, would have the most power. 

The many regions of the Outside then represent diminishing levels of objectivity, where circumstances yield more and more to desire. This, he claims, is what defines the "spheres of dominance" of Gods and demons. As he writes, "the greater will commands." The more powerful entities of the outside dwell in "sub-realities" that conform to their desires.

Curethan posted exactly the line that makes me believe the Gods exist in their own Realms of pocket "objective" realities that conform to that realm's God's views. The Ciphrang are little more than pets.
One of the other conditions of possibility.