NFL I - And so it begins..

• 140 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 01:14:59 am »
Good NFL QBs are in short supply, and the college game is not the best preparation for NFL QBs. So, yes, Washington needs to lock down Cousins. His numbers are more than respectable for an also-ran team.

MSJ, I heard some sports talk speculating that the NFC is a deeper conference than the AFC and that the NFC non-playoffs teams are much closer to competing than those in the AFC. Your thoughts?

Question wasn't addressed to me, but I'll chime in. Agree with first assessment, disagree with the 2nd. While it does appear the NFC has more mojo than AFC, it's not by much and I agree with MSJ, there's parity so hard to say which is stronger than which any more. I think you can make those determinations with divisions, though.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 01:49:25 am »
Quote from:  TaoHorror
ugh, sorry about that - certainly didn't mean all of us Bucs/Tampa fans are the modicum of behavioral perfection. Glad you saw a game in our stadium, but sorry you encountered a band of losers, they come from all walks of life and from anywhere. To be clear, I in no way addressed the Saints fans directly nor harnessed any Saints on the way out, just uber jubilant with my son celebrating the victory - which I would not have done if not for the in-your-face action we received when it was clear we were going to lose - BUT DIDN'T!!! Woo-hoo!.

Lol. No worries. It just popped in my head when reading your posts. College football Karma, you might say. I remember when I was on 16 or 17 and out in Morgantown and we were playing Syracuse. There is a road leading to stadium with a bunch of college apartment complexes. We was on balcony and a pack of Cuse fans came walking through and the guys on the balcony next to us had a crate of oranges and was pelting the fans with them..  So, even though I didn't partake in that I probably had the karma coming back to me. Lol. I felt awful for those fans.....

We used to go to most of the bowl games and several away games before we had kids. You know your gonna get hackles, Tampa was just the worst. And, it probably wouldn't had bothered me so much if we didn't have kids with us, that's what pissed me off.

“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 02:02:18 am »
Quote from:  TaoHorror
ugh, sorry about that - certainly didn't mean all of us Bucs/Tampa fans are the modicum of behavioral perfection. Glad you saw a game in our stadium, but sorry you encountered a band of losers, they come from all walks of life and from anywhere. To be clear, I in no way addressed the Saints fans directly nor harnessed any Saints on the way out, just uber jubilant with my son celebrating the victory - which I would not have done if not for the in-your-face action we received when it was clear we were going to lose - BUT DIDN'T!!! Woo-hoo!.

Lol. No worries. It just popped in my head when reading your posts. College football Karma, you might say. I remember when I was on 16 or 17 and out in Morgantown and we were playing Syracuse. There is a road leading to stadium with a bunch of college apartment complexes. We was on balcony and a pack of Cuse fans came walking through and the guys on the balcony next to us had a crate of oranges and was pelting the fans with them..  So, even though I didn't partake in that I probably had the karma coming back to me. Lol. I felt awful for those fans.....

We used to go to most of the bowl games and several away games before we had kids. You know your gonna get hackles, Tampa was just the worst. And, it probably wouldn't had bothered me so much if we didn't have kids with us, that's what pissed me off.

Yeah, the kids factor definitely ups the ante. This discussion reminds me of when Philly fans threw batteries and vomit at my Rays when we were playing them in Philly during the World Series - and they swept us to boot.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 04:37:47 am »
Good NFL QBs are in short supply, and the college game is not the best preparation for NFL QBs. So, yes, Washington needs to lock down Cousins. His numbers are more than respectable for an also-ran team.

MSJ, I heard some sports talk speculating that the NFC is a deeper conference than the AFC and that the NFC non-playoffs teams are much closer to competing than those in the AFC. Your thoughts?

Question wasn't addressed to me, but I'll chime in. Agree with first assessment, disagree with the 2nd. While it does appear the NFC has more mojo than AFC, it's not by much and I agree with MSJ, there's parity so hard to say which is stronger than which any more. I think you can make those determinations with divisions, though.

Thanks for chiming in, Tao. I didn't mean to be exclusive.

With the high level of parity in the NFL, I would agree that any difference between the conferences would be slight. What is striking in the league is how close the also-ran teams are to making leaps forward. How do the LA Rams go from dogmeat to prime rib in one season? New coach, some key acquisitions, better QB play....boom! The St. Louis Rams pulled off the trick in the late 90s, then got lucky when the backup turns out to be the future Hall of Fame QB, Kurt Warner. The opportunity to improve rapidly makes the NFL the most enjoyable league to follow.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2018, 04:05:50 pm »
Apparently there is a major story on ESPN.com concerning internal conflict among Belichek, Brady and Kraft. It involves Kraft ordering the trade of Garofalo. Cracks in the dynasty?
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2018, 07:59:39 pm »
Seen that BFK. I think its an overblown story to be honest. And reports about the story seem to suggest the same.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2018, 08:08:30 pm »
Seen that BFK. I think its an overblown story to be honest. And reports about the story seem to suggest the same.

I haven't read the story, but if Kraft did order Belichek to trade Garofalo, perhaps that explains why the return from the 49ers was so meagre. One second-round pick?

How 'bout your picks for the weekend? I've got Falcons, Saints, Chiefs, Jaguars.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 08:20:35 pm »
Quote from:  BFK
I haven't read the story, but if Kraft did order Belichek to trade Garofalo, perhaps that explains why the return from the 49ers was so meagre. One second-round pick?

How 'bout your picks for the weekend? I've got Falcons, Saints, Chiefs, Jaguars.

Oh, I fully believe that Kraft ordered the trade. I believe there might be some feathers ruffled. The article had a lot more than that packed in there though. A whole lot more. Trading Jimmy G is not a Belichek move. Why would he for a 2nd rounder, when during the draft he could've gotten a ton more? Other articles I read just said a lot of it is being over blown.

Chiefs, Jags (I can't believe I'm saying that), Saints and Rams.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 10:02:32 pm »
KC, ATL, JAX, CAR

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2018, 10:34:27 pm »
KC, ATL, JAX, CAR

Both NFL wild card teams, eh, Tao?

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2018, 10:47:40 pm »
KC, ATL, JAX, CAR

Both NFL wild card teams, eh, Tao?

Yes, growing up a Bucs fan, I've learned to accept the vulgarity of unfairness in sports ...

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2018, 11:15:22 pm »
What I'd like to see: KC, BUF, CAR, ATL
What I think will happen: KC, JAX, NO, LAR

Yes, Skins need to lock down Cousins. Look at the money Stafford is making, people think it's insane but that's really what solid quarterback play is worth. I think Cousins is in that bracket.

As far as conference comparisons, the league has a lot of parity for sure, I remember Chip Kelley rattling off the percentage of games that come down to one score and the final play but a part of me does feel like the NFC is deeper than the AFC and has been for some time. Just look at the Wild Card races and who made it out in both conferences. Do you think the Bills and Titans are on par with the Falcons and Panthers? Every year it feels like a couple of teams who have no business being there make it to the AFC playoffs but in the NFC playoffs you generally don't know how things will shake out. Right now it seems like either the Rams or Vikings will represent in the Superbowl but it wouldn't surprise me if the other four teams made a run either. In the AFC, it would be legitimately jaw-droppingly shocking if the Steelers or Patriots didn't win the Conference.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 11:27:21 pm »
Quote from:  Bolivar
Right now it seems like either the Rams or Vikings will represent in the Superbowl.

I'm going with the Saints. I love Karmara, and think he'll be the X-factor. Their defense is stout and a veteran QB. I love the way they look. And, I think Payton is a top-5 coach.

I'm taking the Steelers in the AFC, if and only if Antonio Brown is available. Haven't heard any news on that. If not, I'm afraid the Patriots will be back.

Saints are my SB champs.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2018, 11:55:24 pm »
Saints are my SB champs.

Would be nice to know we/Bucs beat the Super Bowl champs last week of the season - nice for our confidence.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2018, 01:56:53 am »
Quote from:  Bolivar
Right now it seems like either the Rams or Vikings will represent in the Superbowl.

I'm going with the Saints. I love Karmara, and think he'll be the X-factor. Their defense is stout and a veteran QB. I love the way they look. And, I think Payton is a top-5 coach.

I'm taking the Steelers in the AFC, if and only if Antonio Brown is available. Haven't heard any news on that. If not, I'm afraid the Patriots will be back.

Saints are my SB champs.
You're right, that's a hard argument to beat when you add up all those factors. I've probably bought too much into the Rams hype, with such a young head coach and quarterback, I think they're bound to make mistakes in the postseason against the best teams. But I'm still in with the Vikings. They had a series of goal line stops to win their last game of the season and in that moment there, they convinced me that they're going to the Super Bowl. Granted, it was against the Bears but seeing their defense put on that kind of performance to end a game they didn't have to win made a big impression.

I just read an article about the Bellichick friction with Kraft and Brady and supposedly someone close to Bill says he's strongly considering going back to the Giants, that he really wants it and this might be his last chance to do it. It's such a long shot but it would be so utterly insane if he became the Giants HC. It would be bigger than LeBron coming back to Cleveland.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk