H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 12:28:35 pm »
Looking through the glossary again - on page 457 (paperback), on the entry for the Amiolas, Nau-Cayûti is spelled "Nau-Kayûti" (similarly to the "Kû'jara Kinmoi" mentioned earlier on this thread...).
Might be a variant spelling, of course (Nau-Cayûti -> Kayûtas, Celmomas -> Kelmomas?), but it has been consistently spelled with a C before.

Yeah, Bakker once remarked in an interview, how many things started with a hard K spelling, only to later be revised to a sort of nebulous C, a simulation of one language being moved into another.

An interesting "side-effect" can be shown through the evolution of the Indara-Kishauri to the eventual Cishaurim.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 02:25:01 pm »
I'm going to start putting a list of my finds together. I was jarred what seemed every other sentence by missing grammatical marks or names changing.

TUC is more rife with them than any other volume, it annoys me to no end.

One of the more glaring ones I found was Inrilil ab Cinganjehoi flat out being referred to as Cinganjehoi in one scene during the battle before being fixed in the next.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 02:29:34 pm »
One of the more glaring ones I found was Inrilil ab Cinganjehoi flat out being referred to as Cinganjehoi in one scene during the battle before being fixed in the next.
Whats wrong with that. Isn't "Inrilil ab" a surname? Is that different than referring to Drusas Achamian as Achamian?

Plenty of errors to go around though.
Was just reading TJE and they use 'hollow' instead of 'hallow', and it is rather jarring if you're reading closely .
One of the other conditions of possibility.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 03:17:52 pm »
Whats wrong with that. Isn't "Inrilil ab" a surname? Is that different than referring to Drusas Achamian as Achamian?

I don't think it's the same thing, Wilshire. Names like "Drusas Achamian" have a family name and a given name, just in the opposite order we're used to in the Western world. Names like "Cnaiür urs Skiötha" and "Inrilil ab Cinganjehoi" are patronymics (Cnaiür son of Skiötha, Inrilil son of Cinganjehoi), so there's not really a surname as we understand it in those names.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 04:18:36 pm »

I don't think it's the same thing, Wilshire. Names like "Drusas Achamian" have a family name and a given name, just in the opposite order we're used to in the Western world. Names like "Cnaiür urs Skiötha" and "Inrilil ab Cinganjehoi" are patronymics (Cnaiür son of Skiötha, Inrilil son of Cinganjehoi), so there's not really a surname as we understand it in those names.
Huzzah, my understanding deepens :) .
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 09:04:24 pm »
Got to it before I could reply ThouhtsofThelli. That was the gripe, within those cultures that use urs (Scylvendi) ab (Kianene) or te (Cepaloran) it means "son of" much in the same way is "ibn" in Arabic.

The Tiger of Eumarna after all did not survive the Holy War.

Calling Inrilil Cinganjehoi would be the same as calling Cnaiur Skiotha.

Now, I think I'm away to start manually adding û and ö with pen into my copy so I can sleep at night...

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 09:08:10 pm »
Got to it before I could reply ThouhtsofThelli. That was the gripe, within those cultures that use urs (Scylvendi) ab (Kianene) or te (Cepaloran) it means "son of" much in the same way is "ibn" in Arabic.

Now, I think I'm away to start manually adding û and ö with pen into my copy so I can sleep at night...
Agree.
Also, lol.

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 09:35:30 pm »

Exactly, the only way I see it not being a mistake was if Inrilil really resembled his father in looks (I can't remember if this was the case) and someone who had known Cinganjehoi was deep in thought/nostalgic and referred to him using Cinganjehoi's name. But I believe this is from the omniscient POV, (right?) so that couldn't be the case anywyay.

I am doing the very same thing (just with a pencil instead of a pen) to my TUC copy. Plenty of vowels missing their diacritical marks and circumflexes.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)