[TUC Spoilers]Kayûtas - Boring or Terrifying?

• 31 Replies

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 01:34:39 pm »
After Cnauir coming back in TGO, I have to think both Serwa and Kayutas are alive since they weren't killed on screen. She's in pretty bad shape no doubt but people in this series have lingered after some pretty horrible things. It might take some terrible sacrifice but I think she'll be in the third series.

If she doesn't survive, Earwa is one more step closer to fucked. At least one of the Mutilated uses sorcery to move the Carapace and Serwa is only half-Dunyain (but at least she's a big something in the plus column for Earwa's resistance).

Plus, I think one-armed Serwa would just make such a badass aunt.

EDIT: On topic, if Kayutas survives I want more superhuman feats of swordplay, please and thank you.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 03:50:13 pm »
After Cnauir coming back in TGO, I have to think both Serwa and Kayutas are alive since they weren't killed on screen. She's in pretty bad shape no doubt but people in this series have lingered after some pretty horrible things. It might take some terrible sacrifice but I think she'll be in the third series.

If she doesn't survive, Earwa is one more step closer to fucked. At least one of the Mutilated uses sorcery to move the Carapace and Serwa is only half-Dunyain (but at least she's a big something in the plus column for Earwa's resistance).

Plus, I think one-armed Serwa would just make such a badass aunt.

EDIT: On topic, if Kayutas survives I want more superhuman feats of swordplay, please and thank you.
Even if Serwa did survive, she really can't compete with a full blooded trained Dûnyain at all.... Never mind.4 of those.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 04:29:49 pm »
Dunno folk should read serwe's dragon fight again, and read it in the context of the Qirri. I had been watching out for it since Koringhus took Qirri and it expanded his consciousness/awareness. There is something going on with it and her abilities on it.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 02:42:33 pm »
Even if Serwa did survive, she really can't compete with a full blooded trained Dûnyain at all.... Never mind.4 of those.

Right but without her, humanity has zero Metagnostic Sorceresses left. Or I mean, Saccarees but Achamian could take him ;).

Dunno folk should read serwe's dragon fight again, and read it in the context of the Qirri. I had been watching out for it since Koringhus took Qirri and it expanded his consciousness/awareness. There is something going on with it and her abilities on it.

Yeah, I have to wait until I'm there but I feel like she wonders about "is this how Father sees all the time?" and waxes about total awareness and other such awesomeness?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

littlegrice

• Suthenti
  • Mandati
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 02:52:56 am »
My money is on Kayutas being the Field General of the Second Apocalypse.  A shadow of what his father was, but with Serwa at his side, a shadow is more than enough to follow when the end of the world has come.
Well, he no talkie good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to 'TELL ME...' and 'WHAT DO YOU SEE?' and, 'WHAT AM I?' Exclusively in that order.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 03:22:19 am »
Serwa would be the obvious next host for the Thousandfold Thought imo, Kayutas doesn't seem to see deeply enough. But I don't think she can survive the events at Golgotteroth intact enough for any more field work - they could make a nice tandem team.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 12:15:52 pm »
My money is on Kayutas being the Field General of the Second Apocalypse.  A shadow of what his father was, but with Serwa at his side, a shadow is more than enough to follow when the end of the world has come.

If the Ordeal and any of its principles actually survive, I'd wager that the Prophetess Mimara is going to be the one leading.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 06:36:28 pm »

If the Ordeal and any of its principles actually survive, I'd wager that the Prophetess Mimara is going to be the one leading.

Certainly the Great Ordeal of Kellhus has perished, buy maybe we have the remnants of it renamed and rallied by Mim&Akka&Kayutas in something like Xenophon's "Anabasis", but fighting hordes of gangraping sranc instead of Persian.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Zealously

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 07:55:07 pm »
I haven't spent a lot of time on this, but I thought Kayûtas and the state of his mental faculties during the Meat episode was very ambigious. It is established fairly early that although they are seen as holy due to their relationship to the Holy Aspect-Emperor, generals and menials alike are unnerved, even frightened of Kellhus's children. Kayûtas is a foil to this; Proyas (or so I read him, at least) thinks of Kayûtas as the reasonable son, the boy in the family that seems most human, without losing any of the sharpness of mind and sight that characterizes Dûnyain. My first interpretation was that Kellhus left Kayûtas behind knowing exactly what the Meat would do to the Men of the Ordeal, and instructed him to partake in the acts of madness, all as a part of fooling Proyas into giving the command. If Kayûtas himself, Kellhus's son, succumbs to the madness, then Proyas has only one choice. It becomes clear as day that the madness is all-reaching. If not even the Lord-and-Prophet's blood is safe, then certainly that would give implicit support to his decision to sanction cannibalism. The madness takes all, as it were.

Maybe this is taking it a step too far, and the Meat episode really just showed how far removed Kellhus is from his more worldly children, but I thought it would have been devilishly clever to have Kayûtas indulge in the very depravity Kellhus knew that Proyas would struggle with. Now, if that really was the origin of Kayûtas seemingly mad episode, then that makes him an all the more convincing and terrifying character, because it shows that he is able to set aside sentiment to serve the aims of TTT.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:58:10 pm by Zealously »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 10:22:47 pm »
Certainly the Great Ordeal of Kellhus has perished, buy maybe we have the remnants of it renamed and rallied by Mim&Akka&Kayutas in something like Xenophon's "Anabasis", but fighting hordes of gangraping sranc instead of Persian.

The March of the Ten Thousand. That's great ;).

You ever read any Paul Kearney, Woden? His Macht series is basically a fantasy rendition of the above. Though, I think all fans of Bakker would enjoy his The Monarchies of God quintet.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Zealously.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

littlegrice

• Suthenti
  • Mandati
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 10:41:34 pm »

You ever read any Paul Kearney, Woden? His Macht series is basically a fantasy rendition of the above. Though, I think all fans of Bakker would enjoy his The Monarchies of God quintet.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Zealously.

In the Prince of Nothing, I definitely saw a LOT of shadowing(historically speaking) of the First Crusades in their march to take back Jerusalem(Shimeh).  Maybe we will see some other major campaign mimicked in the No-God.  Napoleon after his loss in Russia?  Dunno.  Would be cool, though, as the initial one led me to read up a lot more on the Crusades.  Made me a more learned man. (insert 'like a sir' emote here)
Well, he no talkie good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to 'TELL ME...' and 'WHAT DO YOU SEE?' and, 'WHAT AM I?' Exclusively in that order.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 10:56:23 pm »

You ever read any Paul Kearney, Woden? His Macht series is basically a fantasy rendition of the above. Though, I think all fans of Bakker would enjoy his The Monarchies of God.

Not yet. It's on my "to read" list.
But, yes, some Anabasis or Grand Armee analogy could be fucking great.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 11:01:36 pm »
In the Prince of Nothing, I definitely saw a LOT of shadowing(historically speaking) of the First Crusades in their march to take back Jerusalem(Shimeh).  Maybe we will see some other major campaign mimicked in the No-God.  Napoleon after his loss in Russia?  Dunno.  Would be cool, though, as the initial one led me to read up a lot more on the Crusades.  Made me a more learned man. (insert 'like a sir' emote here)

littlegrice, I'm not sure if you'd have been exposed to this before but Bakker has mentioned over the years that the omnipresent war POVs were heavily influenced by both Homer but specifically Harold Lamb's Iron Men and Saints.

Great read, as is much of his other historical fiction (I can't speak to his fantasy fiction, though I'm sure its worth reading too).

Not yet. It's on my "to read" list.
But, yes, some Anabasis or Grand Armee analogy could be fucking great.

Indeed :).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 11:09:46 pm »
I hope that Bakker could read some day Lord Sumption's "The 100 years War". Masterpiece.

littlegrice

• Suthenti
  • Mandati
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 11:19:59 pm »

littlegrice, I'm not sure if you'd have been exposed to this before but Bakker has mentioned over the years that the omnipresent war POVs were heavily influenced by both Homer but specifically Harold Lamb's Iron Men and Saints.

Great read, as is much of his other historical fiction (I can't speak to his fantasy fiction, though I'm sure its worth reading too).

Now it's officially on the 'to read' list.