Emailing Overlook/Orbit on a publication date

• 11 Replies

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« on: June 22, 2015, 12:04:28 am »
I figured this subforum would be the place where this would get the most visibility.

So we all know Bakker has had publisher issues, from getting dropped or switched, to generally not being a priority author. Bakker writes on the latest TPB post that the book has been handed in for 6 months, with no updates from the publisher. He suggests that emailing them about why the series has potential might help the process.

I realize this will probably have little impact but if we don't take any proactive steps on TSA, why should anyone else? Calibandar on Westeros suggested sales@overlookny.com. I just emailed them a short message about this a little while ago.

If anyone can think of more productive efforts we can make, feel free to voice them here. Bakker mentioned other publishers are willing to take on the series, so maybe that would be our best bet.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 11:27:27 am »
To Whom it May Concern,

It has come to our attention, as fans of author R. Scott Bakker, that the final volume of his Aspect Emperor series, The Unholy Consult, is seemingly on perpetual hiatus from publication.  This is both bewildering for us as readers and for the author himself, seeing as to how the final volume is critical to bringing both some closure to, indeed, two trilogies (both The Prince of Nothing, and The Aspect Emperor series) while setting the stage for even more editions going forward.   Allow me to explain why I believe that, in fact, not publishing the book in the very near future is a financial mistake on the part of Overlook Press.

Scott has a small, but vocal and quite dedicated group of fans.  Even a small amount of internet research will uncover years of discussion, speculation, and appreciation for the series, beginning with The Darkness The Comes before and continuing through The White-Luck Warrior.  What does this mean for you, the publisher?  The series has all the makings of a cult-classic.  Given the success of recent movies and TV shows from the likes of Rowling, Martin, and Tolkien, the time is now for epic fantasy, a role Bakker fulfills like few others can.

Indeed, the proverbial 'iron' is hot, the series is ripe for the 'striking', but honestly only if the series can present some kind of reasonable expectation of a conclusion.  Fans of Martin's A Games of Thrones are loath to start yet another series with no end in the foreseeable future.  Presenting Scott's work as a completed arc is a great sales pitch, giving readers a chance to jump into a deep series, with no wait for a conclusion.  As such, every day, month, (and hopefully a level not reached) year, is harmful both to sales of The Unholy Consult, and to the entire series.  Also, considering the low opportunity cost to simply publishing the book, as the manuscript is already in your hands, and the overwhelmingly positive upside to having two trilogies that can be sold as 'completed,' it only makes sense to try to publish The Unholy Consult as soon as possible.  Indeed, the delay only serves to harm the value of the work, which is in no one, not the author's, not the fan's, not you the publisher's, nor the potential future reader's, best interest.

As the delay lengthens there is also the real possibility that the book could be released closer to Martin's Winds of Winter, which again, serves absolutely no one's best interests, considering how much attention will be given that book.  The Unholy Consult should, indeed, almost must, precede its publication.  The time to seize itinerant fantasy readers in the midst of Martin's writing (and the Game of Thrones show) hiatus, in fact means that this book is primed for release right now actually.  The next few months are critical, the book should be published post-haste, to really capitalize on these factors.  As we go forward, the show will be back for it's next season, the book will be written and this unique time and it's subsequent opportunity, will be lost.  The optimal window, so to speak, is fast closing, and will not open again.

I really hope that this case is given real consideration.  I thank you for your time in reading this, I (and Scott and many fans) thank you for all that you can do in bring this book to a quick publication.

Sincerely,
Matthew Pate

Could someone proof read this for me?  Does it sound dumb?  I just woke up and scrawled this down...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:01:59 pm by H »
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 02:08:54 pm »
"This is both bewildering for us as readers and for the author himself, seeing as to how the final volume is critical to bringing both some closure to, indeed, two trilogies (both The Prince of Nothing, and The Aspect Emperor series) while setting the stage for still furthermore additions to the setting."
- Fix the bold -

"First..." - Remove first, its not needed.

"Indeed, the sales have not been on Tolkien or Martin levels, yet, the time now is ripe for epic fantasy, give the success of recent movies and TV shows based off those mentioned other writers have shown."

I'd rewrite it as - Given the success of recent movies and TV shows from the likes of Rowling, Martin, and Tolkien, the time is now for epic fantasy, a role Bakker fulfills like few others can.
This also removes "ripe", which is good since you use it in the next paragraph.

"Fan of Martin "
*Fans*. Also, I'd say "Fans of Martin's A Games of Thrones"

"As such, ever "  *every*

", but to the entire series. "
change to  - ,and* to the entire series

Seems like a good letter to me. Send away!
Maybe everyone should send it...
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 02:15:24 pm »
Thanks, made the changes, hopefully it reads better now.  My writing style is definitely awkward at times.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 02:54:52 pm »
Your style is fine, no worries. I've edited one of Madness' drafts and he wasn't impressed with all my marks ;)

Except for potentially adding a few more years to the projected publication date, its almost a good thing, because fuck Overlook. They have done little else but print garbage (evidence here), mess up his e-books (pages/glossaries missing), and delay publication. I'd love to see him be picked up by Tor, or really anyone else that hasn't already screwed him several times.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:57:00 pm by Wilshire »

Garet Jax

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 08:08:14 pm »

I second this.  Is there a certain e-mail address to use?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 08:17:53 pm »

I second this.  Is there a certain e-mail address to use?

Above ;)
Calibandar on Westeros suggested sales@overlookny.com. I just emailed them a short message about this a little while ago.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 08:22:14 pm »
I think it looks kind of bad if we are all just sending out a 'form letter,' but you guys send it if you want.  I'll send mine above when I get off of work in an hour or so.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 08:36:40 pm »
I think it looks kind of bad if we are all just sending out a 'form letter,' but you guys send it if you want.  I'll send mine above when I get off of work in an hour or so.
You may be correct. I think its somewhat likely that a person will actually be reading these, unlike emailing a mayor/senator, so it would certainly look way better if they are unique emails.

That said, better to send something than nothing.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 09:30:51 pm »
Edit: Someone at TPB suggested contacting Orbit here. I just sent them a message copying what I sent to Overlook. Not sure which of them have the manuscript but it's probably best to send a reminder to both anyhow.

Definitely better to send something than nothing at all, although it might look best to keep them unique, even if that means just writing a short message. Good points to bring up are the success of Game of Thrones and the SFFWorld.com top 20 fantasy list, which you can link them to here:

http://www.sffworld.com/2015/06/the-unofficial-top-20-fantasy-series-of-sffworld-com/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:39:48 pm by Bolivar »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 01:04:38 am »
Sent my letter to both Overlook and Orbit.  Here's to it making even the slightest of difference...

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 09:50:41 pm »
Copying my post for anyone who doesn't follow Westeros:

Since Adam was kind enough to cover this on his site, we should probably get our first round of tweets out there today. Try to include both @overlookpress and @orbitbooks in your post. Right now I'm using #TheUnholyConsult, I doubt we could get that trending with all the news today but it does help. If you follow Overlook and Orbit before tweeting at them, they will get a notification once a number of their followers are tweeting about the same hash tag. Lastly, it's important to write your own message and not just retweet, as I think Twitter does not send notifications when someone retweets a message you were tagged in.

I wrote this:

Dear @orbitbooks and @overlookpress - please edit and publish #TheUnholyConsult by R. Scott Bakker! @bakkerfans

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk