The Olympics 2018

• 60 Replies

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« on: February 08, 2018, 02:09:49 am »
No thread for the Olympics? There is now. :)

Just saw some mixed team curling. Trying to find livestreaming of the Alpine training runs.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 07:04:35 pm »
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180207005826/en/

First and probably last time I watch Olympics (Unless there is SC again.) .
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:26:14 pm »

Even I've heard of sOs, must have been a pretty big upset. That's great.

Maybe "esports" will be come part of the actual Olympics someday. I certainly don't see why not.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 03:23:05 pm »

Even I've heard of sOs, must have been a pretty big upset. That's great.

Maybe "esports" will be come part of the actual Olympics someday. I certainly don't see why not.
You should try to play with me and William sometime. We will appreciate fresh blood :) .
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 04:00:02 pm »
We streamed the opening ceremonies.

As per my quorum commentary:

Quote from: Madness
The 6yo was dead set on watching it "at 6am!" because his teacher told him to (I wish I got that kind of automatic respect). And doing my best Charlie Brown's teacher's impression while explaining to the chillens and the 11yo why this Olympics (as most) is both historic and complicated.

Russian atheletes unable to walk in under a Russian flag because Russia is banned this year (if I recall correctly) so they have to play as "Olympic Independents," SK/NK walking together because Drumpf (!!), Israel and Palestine still participating despite Drumpf's (!!) declaration regarding Jeruselum, and how none of the Olympic architecture is designed to be recycled (except in a few cool instances over the years) and is ultimately a huge waste of money for the host country.

I like watching various skiing and boarding events (was skiing on some Canadian mountains with my Dad as young as three).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:01:48 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 11:59:39 pm »
What are esports?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 01:05:39 am »
What are esports?

Electronic Sports ... as in sports video games ( like EASports, Madden Football, etc ).

One of my favorite moments in Olympic history was a recent summer Olympics ( don't remember which one ), it was the woman's marathon and all of the coverage was on "the favorites" ... oh, yes, think it was the Bejing Olympics because there was focus on a few Chinese runners ... anyways, in the lead pack was a Romanian runner who was the oldest runner in the competition and out of nowhere, she sprints ahead fast ( something like last few miles to go ) and hauls ass to the finish line. Apparently she had done this a few times before ( like World competition, etc ) and it worked once and another time it didn't ( guess he got too tired or something ) ... anyways, she crosses the finish line first and gets the Romanian flag and keeps running around the stadium with a big fat smile on her face, she just made the record for oldest woman Olympic marathon winner. The 2nd/3rd/4th come straggling in, barely able to walk and immediately sit down when they cross, breathing heavy ... and the Romanian winner is still running, smiling and waving! It was awesome, I loved it. The humor and elevation of the feat was intoxicating on so many levels - relatively unknown, older athlete stealing the show like that and just kept running with the younger ones all crapped out on the ground, heaving.  :D

EDIT: Constantina Tomescu ... she was amazing.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:09:41 am by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 01:21:20 am »
Quote from:  TaoHorror
Electronic Sports ... as in sports video games ( like EASports, Madden Football, etc ).

Thanks for the explanation. But, those are not sports. Those are (excuse me if I offend) children's games were all they use is there thumbs. Does it take skill and mentally capabilities....yes. Its not a sport, point blank. The idea is ludicrous.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 02:54:12 am »
Oh man...the snowboarders are taking some nasty spills. :( Started out so well too.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 02:48:15 pm »
Quote from:  TaoHorror

Thanks for the explanation. But, those are not sports. Those are (excuse me if I offend) children's games were all they use is there thumbs. Does it take skill and mentally capabilities....yes. Its not a sport, point blank. The idea is ludicrous.

Yes, I think they were joking.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 05:47:16 pm »
Must be a bunch of old people here ;).

No, esports are not sports games.

It's what you call a video game that is played professionally. Meaning, people who compete in tournaments, matches, games, whatever, and get paid to do it.

League of Legends is one of the biggest. You have literally 10s of millions of people watching the big tournaments. We're talking about international viewerships that make the Super Bowl look like a backyard pickup game.

So yeah, esports. The players are often referred  to as eAthletes. Yes, seriously lol. It's a big money making enterprise just like any other sports thingy. :)

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 05:55:35 pm »
Must be a bunch of old people here ;).

There are!

League of Legends is one of the biggest. You have literally 10s of millions of people watching the big tournaments.

OMG - my older son dragged me into that damn game. It's fun, but I don't like how it focuses on individual performance in a team v team environment, too easy to manipulate opposed to winning the game.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 06:45:14 pm »
I really don't care, I just love how upset people get when you call something a 'sport'.
Like somehow defining something as a sport invalidates their belief structure. In fact,lol in many cases, I've seen people get more upset about what a 'sport' is than actually discussing their own religious beliefs.

I don't see why a video game isn't  a sport.

What is a sport other than a contest? Very nearly every person has their own definition, and I'm sure there is a bone fide 'sport' that breaks nearly every definition, and conversely plenty of activities that fit in the definition that are excluded.
:)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 06:47:19 pm by Wilshire »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 10:36:17 am »
Quote from:  Wilshire
I really don't care, I just love how upset people get when you call something a 'sport'.
Like somehow defining something as a sport invalidates their belief structure. In fact,lol in many cases, I've seen people get more upset about what a 'sport' is than actually discussing their own religious beliefs.

Nah, it doesn’t question my belief structure. It just setting around and twiddling your thumbs isn’t a sport. That’s the problem with children these days the set in a house a play NBA 2k18, or whatever and get upset when they try out for the basketball team and get cut. No bullshit, seen it with my own eyes.

Anything that takes physical training to compete in is a sport. I have no problem calling dancing and cheerleading a sport, which btw, a lot do have a problem with that. Setting on a Xbox or computer does not and should not, be considered a sport in anyway.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 01:46:25 am »
Quote from:  Wilshire

Nah, it doesn’t question my belief structure. It just setting around and twiddling your thumbs isn’t a sport. That’s the problem with children these days the set in a house a play NBA 2k18, or whatever and get upset when they try out for the basketball team and get cut. No bullshit, seen it with my own eyes.

Anything that takes physical training to compete in is a sport. I have no problem calling dancing and cheerleading a sport, which btw, a lot do have a problem with that. Setting on a Xbox or computer does not and should not, be considered a sport in anyway.
Wow, so judgmental. Playing a video game competitively requires both a lot of mechanical skill and mental skill.