Custom leather bound: The Darkness that Comes Before

• 85 Replies

ValHallAwaits

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 12:06:35 am »
I made an account to say I need this in my life and will pay for one as well as ship my 1st/1st to make it happen.

After rebinding will the DJ still fit?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 01:17:43 am »
I made an account to say I need this in my life and will pay for one as well as ship my 1st/1st to make it happen.

I appreciate it! Looks like I really do need to get this finished up, IMO the hot foil stamping is going to be the best part... Well, i dunno, the leather is incredible too... Anyway, I'm going to call my binder this week and get that scheduled!

After rebinding will the DJ still fit?

I had to run to my bookshelf and check. Honestly, it never occurred to me to put the dustjacket back on. The new hardcover boards are slightly bigger both in width and length. The dustjacket still covers about 99% of it though. That said, the boards can be cut to any size, so you could explicitly cut it so that it would be no larger than the original covers.

Once I finish, I'll be sure to figure out what it will cost to do it again. This has taken me over a year to do, though it's more like a week or two of work for a real binder working on it. Randomly guessing so that I can put my foot in my mouth later, I'd probably expect a 6 month lead time, more/less depending on how busy she is.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

ValHallAwaits

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 04:56:44 am »

I had to run to my bookshelf and check. Honestly, it never occurred to me to put the dustjacket back on. The new hardcover boards are slightly bigger both in width and length. The dustjacket still covers about 99% of it though. That said, the boards can be cut to any size, so you could explicitly cut it so that it would be no larger than the original covers.

I look at it the same way a lot of leather special editions are done (for example Steven Erikson lettered from Subterranean) which are both leather and wrapped in DJs, and I envision possibly even commissioning a traycase or somesuch to house the dang thing. I love this author so much that I'm going to make him a shrine next to my Erikson lettered...

Once I finish, I'll be sure to figure out what it will cost to do it again. This has taken me over a year to do, though it's more like a week or two of work for a real binder working on it. Randomly guessing so that I can put my foot in my mouth later, I'd probably expect a 6 month lead time, more/less depending on how busy she is.

These details are important but not as important as getting the thing done! I just can't wait to see the finished product and as long as we're talking about a price comparable to a standard special edition (~$350 or so) I'm in. Hell, 6 months is standard turnaround from preorder to book arrival from Subterranean, haha!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:58:35 am by ValHallAwaits »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 01:40:12 pm »
You're one of the 52 people that have the Erikson lettered edition from Subterranean Press? I'm so extremely jealous. I was able to get in at MT, so I should have numbered editions of MT through CG once its all done. But the lettered editions, those are truly beautiful books. Can you post pictures of your collection somewhere?

Going to have to disappoint you on cost. $350 is probably a low end estimate for something like this. A comfortable number is probably double that. I will probably have spent $700-$800 once its done. The biggest issue is economies of scale. The materials alone are extremely expensive to buy for just one book, so unless you're making a 500 book print run, done on machines rather than by hand, it becomes egregiously expensive. I got to learn this lesson first hand.

Mind you, almost half of that cost was the super premium leather I purchased. Cheaper stuff can be used, and not to bash on your books, but the leather that Subterranean Press/Easton Press/etc. isn't nearly the same 'quality'. You can still make very high quality books with lesser leather, but you could still end up with $100 - $200 worth of leather to purchase for each book.

Doing this kind of thing is very time intensive and takes a lot of skill to end up with something that doesn't look like garbage - skill I definitely don't have. I'm thinking the bare minimum price would be closer to $500 per book, but I haven't discussed this with my binder. If you're wondering how I came to such outrageous prices, I have another thread documenting much of my journey here: http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=1371.0.
I was getting quotes from $700-$1000+ from bookbinders all around the country - and some flat out refused. I thought I could do it more cheaply going the route I did, and in the end it really didn't save me any money. It was fun, actually getting to craft it myself with guidance, but still expensive. Most of the cost is in materials, so its really hard to reduce the price.

But hey, I'll see what needs to be done. If there is a $350 option, I'll look for it. I recently found someone online that does custom books for cheaper, but they use some non-conventional  processes that I'm not sure would have the same effect.
Make sure you set up an email address for your account here, or link the PMs to your email, so that I can reach out to you with more information as it comes.

A clam-shell box (aka traycase) would be an additional expense. I'm tapped out as far as budget goes for this project, so I never looked into the cost of that, but I can do that for you as well, just to see. They really are the best way to keep your book in pristine condition, but I think its kind of a shame to hide it after putting all this work into it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:42:16 pm by Wilshire »

ValHallAwaits

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 06:01:07 pm »
You're one of the 52 people that have the Erikson lettered edition from Subterranean Press? I'm so extremely jealous. I was able to get in at MT, so I should have numbered editions of MT through CG once its all done. But the lettered editions, those are truly beautiful books. Can you post pictures of your collection somewhere?

Yep. Letter Y. Took these just for you, my friend: http://imgur.com/a/IxeOn

And here's a look at everything I own as of a couple weeks ago: http://imgur.com/a/5b78Q

As for the price for our leather edition dream, if it's somewhere around the $500 range I'm still game and would even eventually be able to swing all 3 of the original PoN trilogy books if possible.

A clam-shell box (aka traycase) would be an additional expense. I'm tapped out as far as budget goes for this project, so I never looked into the cost of that, but I can do that for you as well, just to see. They really are the best way to keep your book in pristine condition, but I think its kind of a shame to hide it after putting all this work into it.

I know a guy. Should be about $100-150 per box based on specs and 30 day turnaround time. I hadn't envisioned asking you to look into it actually, was going to do it on my own. Frees me up to design them the way I want as well.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 06:24:29 pm »
Those are so awesome. Thanks for sharing!

I hope Bakker publishes some limited edition stuff through someone eventually... Really just anyone other than Overlook.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 06:34:42 pm »
Those are so awesome. Thanks for sharing!

I hope Bakker publishes some limited edition stuff through someone eventually... Really just anyone other than Overlook.

Couldn't agree more, I hate the fact that the books don't all match...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

ValHallAwaits

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 06:54:34 pm »

A year or so ago SubPress did an AMA on Reddit and someone suggested James S.A. Corey. Lo and behold, here we are and they're taking preorders on book 2.

I could also see Centipede Press being game to publish a special edition. The largest obstacle is Overlook. They seem quite miserly and I think it would be A Great Ordeal to get them to cede rights for a limited edition run.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 03:08:02 am »

And here's a look at everything I own as of a couple weeks ago: http://imgur.com/a/5b78Q

Sweet collection, ValHallAwaits.

Welcome to the forum, by the way :). I've always loved Norse mythology, though literally started watching Vikings today.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

ValHallAwaits

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 12:19:27 pm »

Sweet collection, ValHallAwaits.

Welcome to the forum, by the way :). I've always loved Norse mythology, though literally started watching Vikings today.

Thanks and thanks.

Cannot wait to add this leather Bakker collection to the shelf. Can't even contain myself at the idea.

I wonder if other avenues might be easier/cheaper/more preferable than a traycase or clamshell. Maybe a simple charcoal slipcase with silver foil stamping. I know a guy for that too.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 12:25:55 pm »
Do you happen to know, or can you find out, what the biggest die his hot foil stamp press can handle?

ValHallAwaits

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 12:30:50 pm »
Do you happen to know, or can you find out, what the biggest die his hot foil stamp press can handle?

I sent an email.

I've kicked tires on this sort of thing before with him and here's what he had to say about making something custom:
How it works is if someone designs the image for the the case I then get a metal plate made for the hot foil printing.The plates cost from about £15 to about £50, if enough people are interested in a certain slipcase like The Martian and RP1 then I don't pass on the cost of the plate.

Edit: And the slipcases I ordered from him in the past have been between £13- £15. So they're very reasonable.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:32:51 pm by ValHallAwaits »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 12:37:00 pm »
Well, I already have the design and the plates, my issue was finding a binder who had a big enough machine here in the US. As luck would have it, the largest one I was able to find was also the closest one to where I live - the one that is helping me with the books. Even still, I would have liked to have a full cover stamp of the Rankine cover art, but had to settle for less.

ValHallAwaits

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 12:50:14 pm »
Yeah I figure worst case scenario, if you're interested, we can go in together on shipping to send your plate across the pond to Jeff so he can use it to stamp the slipcases though that presents logistical problems should we decide we wanted to produce more books (need another stamp anyway).

So yes I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can do a full reproduction of the art from the cover. Here's an example of some of his work:

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s603/jsmcmullen92/IMG_0026_zpsjs3kodr6.jpg (Holofoil stamping) It also appears you can scroll through that album for more looks!

Also a pic of a charcoal case with silver stamping. http://imgur.com/tRkpvIh

No idea whether he can handle a large, large stamp.

ValHallAwaits

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 12:58:35 pm »
Sorry for the double post,

It occurs to me that if ever there were a precedent for an edition like this which we maybe ought to use as the measuring stick, it's the Elantris leatherbound edition recently produced by Sanderson's in-house publisher Dragonsteel. I do wonder, however, whether they themselves manufactured it or whether they could tell us where to look for someone who could do it. They were able to produce large quantities of those books and sell them for MSRP $100. That catches the eye.