Any gamers out there? Kingdom Death: Monsters

• 4 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« on: June 28, 2017, 03:26:16 pm »
Friends! Shot in the dark, any board or RPG gamers here? Along the lines of D&D, board and miniature games is what I'm aiming for ( not video/computer - but feel free to jump in to talk up your favorite League of Legends Champion - mine is Kog Maw before they reworked and ruined him ).

I just discovered a board/miniature game that could well pander to our tastes: Kingdom Death: Monsters. It self proclaims to be "A cooperative nightmare horror game experience." The reviews seem to agree it's "masterful, but disturbing" but went sideways on the pinup line of miniatures ( but I like those too, and Beard would LOVE them, hee hee ). Anyways ... any of you cats hear of this thing? It's wicked expensive and wanted some friendlies to give me the skinny before I go down a rabbit hole of dough to find out it's bullshit or I can't find anyone to play it with. Apparently highly complex/high learning curve that well rewards the players' investment.

I was hunting for more cool miniatures for D&D and came across this stuff - these KD figures are the best I've ever seen. Google search on "kingdom death white knight heavy" and click on images and you'll see some wicked stuff ( Beard - you can search on kingdom death pinup images for the "good" stuff  :D ). Check out the knight with the massive morning star. The detail and creativity of this stuff amazes.

Anyways, any of you play this thing? Is it any good? Worth $1,000+ to get into it? Apparently the core game is out of print, but the dude who created it appears to be raking it in so I'm hoping new printings are released so I can get into it without encroaching on my retirement savings ...

It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:25:08 pm »
This topic getss brought up from time to time. There seems to be a couple of people around that enjoy this gamespace, though I haven't heard this specific one mentioned.

You might check out this subforum:
http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?board=27.0
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:15:10 pm »
Oh, thank you, Wilshire - I'll make this my last post here and move it to the Misc Chatter section if I get any interest in discussion. One thing you all might like about Kingdom Death is one of the characteristics of your character ( along with the usual attributes like strength ) are more interesting psychological ones like Cunning and Insanity ( the higher your Insanity, the fewer actions you can competently perform, but the better you're able to cope with the mad evil of the setting and perform better in more chaotic/violent situations ... seems like some Bakker thinking went into this game, seems almost as if PON inspired this game's design ... and I haven't been above not ripping Bakker off for some of the details of my D&D world I created  :P ).

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 02:46:28 pm »
Sounds like a Cthulhu roleplaying game i played about 30 years ago.

Insanity rating.
Cunning

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 07:20:16 pm »
Sorry, Merchant, I missed your post trying to avoid TUC spoiler threads, which is now officially a plague on this forum since I don't even have the book yet ( Amazon! ). Never played Call of Cthulhu, but must be good since it's still alive and kicking.