• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2018, 07:52:52 pm »
A denizen of Earwa?

I dig it.  Perhaps it is an illusion of the perspective, but his lower half seems disproportionate to the upper.  It might be one of those things where the real scale looks less real than an exaggerated one though...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2018, 08:09:00 pm »
A denizen of Earwa?

I dig it.  Perhaps it is an illusion of the perspective, but his lower half seems disproportionate to the upper.  It might be one of those things where the real scale looks less real than an exaggerated one though...

You mean the Imp, not the dead human he's on, correct? not sure I see it, you mean the legs are too long/big?
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2018, 08:46:26 pm »
You mean the Imp, not the dead human he's on, correct? not sure I see it, you mean the legs are too long/big?

No, the human guy.  To me it looks like from where his knee bends to what I imagine the length of his thigh should be doesn't leave room for his hips/rest of his abdomen.  Again, maybe that is just me though...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2018, 09:20:05 pm »

No, the human guy.  To me it looks like from where his knee bends to what I imagine the length of his thigh should be doesn't leave room for his hips/rest of his abdomen.  Again, maybe that is just me though...

You might be right - there is something off about the human, I struck it up to he's dead and when you're dead, you kinda collapse and flail, nothing keeping you upright and tight. Like sitting in that position doesn't look right or comfortable, but when dead, contortions can be more pronounced before rigor. But I'm no expert, my thinking there may be well off. Could be his scale is off.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2018, 04:49:55 pm »
The miniatures for that game are amazing TH. I was looking at the kickstarter page - awesome!
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2018, 03:36:35 am »
The miniatures for that game are amazing TH. I was looking at the kickstarter page - awesome!

Glad you like them! I backed it and if/when I get them, I'll post pictures of them painted ( Best case June-2019  :( ).

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2018, 07:46:28 pm »
Thought I would share something PON inspired miniatures considering the holidays and all  :)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2018, 02:26:48 pm »
Wow, that is a really nice piece?  Where is it from?

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2018, 06:18:59 pm »
Wow, that is a really nice piece?  Where is it from?

Thank you! One of the miniatures from the board game, Rising Sun. Some cat in Poland painted it for me, does amazing work.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2018, 05:35:20 pm »

New hobby space, under construction.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2018, 05:46:36 pm »
Definitely satisfying to see it all set up. Lets hope you get to use it!
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2018, 03:21:47 am »
Ah, H, I concede some envy, that looks awesome. Now I just need my wife to discover the money I'm blowing on board games and miniatures and divorce me so I can get a space of my own and set up shop. I look forward to the day mutilating my first 100 paint jobs so I can get better.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2018, 01:41:29 pm »
Ah, H, I concede some envy, that looks awesome. Now I just need my wife to discover the money I'm blowing on board games and miniatures and divorce me so I can get a space of my own and set up shop. I look forward to the day mutilating my first 100 paint jobs so I can get better.

This "desk" was already in the house we bought.  It was actually made for sewing, when the original owners made the house, so it was natural to just repurpose it.  I'm also rather "lucky" in that my wife is amenable to the use of space.

That being said, the space is good and nice, but the reality is there is just no time.  It's taken me over 3 months just to get that stuff out of boxes.  Let alone actually paint.  Which is a whole other beast.

Painting is "rewarding" but rather frustrating to me, because I have problems with "perfection."  And I don't mean just in the sense of results, but of process.  So, in miniatures painting, you will likely be aiming at layering and layering is specifically not an exact science.  That is, one layer purposely does not fully over the other.  This is the specific aim.  Yet, for me, I struggle with "allowing" one thing to "cover" another in an inexact way.  So, I have to fight my aim to be "perfectly exact" because that is not the point.

So, in a sense, I've found that painting is both a good deal easier than it seems, while also being a good deal harder than it seems.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2018, 03:41:08 pm »
So, in a sense, I've found that painting is both a good deal easier than it seems, while also being a good deal harder than it seems.

When I started painting them a very long time ago, I was taking a different approach and it seemed to be working well for me. Practice - I purposely painted fairly quickly to get my intuition strengthen before objective perfection ( some call it "muscle memory" ) ... it was working well for me, I was getting descent pretty quickly with dry brushing and the like. I purchased a bunch of mini's I didn't care about to cut my teeth on. So if/when I get back to it, I'm going to take that approach, grab a pile of miniatures and get going. After 10 or so, stop, watch some online tutorials and do another 10 and continue to instinctively understand how thin the paint should be ( before understanding why that thickness works ), etc. At some point, when I have my bones, slow down and perfect my craft. Anyways, that's the plan - everyone has their own path to commanding skills. The art to getting good at art is learning when to take time to improve vs just moving on to avoid paralyzation. If it were easy, it wouldn't be fun.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:43:15 pm by TaoHorror »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2018, 04:40:31 pm »
Yeah, one good thing is that there are so many good YouTube videos now on techniques and the like.  When I started there were scant few that were really worth looking at.  Also, just dissemination of techniques and the like is so much better now.

For example, when I started in something like 2008, despite looking at many, many things, all you could really find were people advocating black primer, now-a-days, you can find way more information about the benefits of black, white, grey primers, zenithal techniques, and so on.  It's really opened things up to let you explore more things realistically.