Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 12:55:38 pm »
Anyone think its possible that the Consult have human slaves that they can use against the Consult. Or not even slaves, but groups of men that worship them as gods that live in the wild north? Could cause trouble at Dagliash if they throw an extra army into the Ordeal's flank.

+1.

In same vein, I have previously wondered at the Xiuhanni being a complete culture of Inchoroi-worship. They seem to leak through the mountains (Jekkia). Chanv always reminds me of the Inchoroi's translucent skin. There's also an instance of Glossary, Shiradi Empire that mentions Xiuhanni invading from Jekk but specifically calls them Eannaen invaders.

Carapace's mounted on staffs... from the East.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 02:37:04 pm by Wilshire »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 02:38:23 pm »
Yeah I really hope they show up at some point,  or at least we find out their fate. Its rather irritating having that loose end.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 12:45:20 pm »
Hmm, doubt Shae will have an army of puppets.  Recall that Aurang's projections through the synthese require a circle of sorcerers to maintain the cants.

On the original thread topic, the weapon races are driven by the No-god's will when he arises, what more dread instrument do you need?

The idea of using dunyain souls for some kind of sorcery is interesting.  Based on Akka's descriptions of how souls are trapped and utilized in sorcery, and the hints we are given within his dreams of the consult's methods in stripping souls of identity and will before processing them in the golden room I would expect Dunyain souls to be too strong to be used in such a manner.  Doesn't mean Khellus couldn't do it, but I struggle to suggest a method or indeed a purpose via which he could use them.  I think manufacturing his own artificial god and a weapon race for it to wield is possible - the ordeal itself given gene therapy in their sranc steaks perhaps? - but I cannot see K. enslaving himself in the manner that the consult have. 

I see no reason why the consult should not have continued to recruit and corrupt members in the same way they did Ieva and the Scylvendi.  I do not doubt that they had corrupted sorcerers within the Anagogic schools - they would have only needed the special ensouled skin spy to get into the Mandate because of Seswatha's homonculous.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 01:48:16 pm »
It can't strictly involve the Golden Room simply in order to make animata. The Quya somehow harvest animata for the Great Gate of Wheels in Sauglish. The Schools seem to have animata mechanism - Achamian's Wathi Doll is certainly tolerated and apparently of historical use in assassinations (Wathi Dolls, not Achamian's specifically) so the Schools most certainly have contemporary uses for animata.

Otherwise, +1 Curethan.

In fact, there's a thread on titled something like 'why haven't more of the few gone to the Consult' around here...

EDIT: Why haven't more of the Few gone to the Consult?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:18:13 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 12:28:12 pm »
I only use the golden room as a probable example of the process involved in creating the ultimate animata - i.e. Mog Pharau.
It fits with Akka's description of trapped souls being stripped of their experiential memories or "personality", leaving only that which can apprehend the logos.
The important thing I derive from this is that magical animata use a soul's ability to apprehend the logos to achieve the architect-sorcerer's objective; therefore said sorcerer must break or dominate the will of the soul that he wishes to bind.
Which leads to the inherent problem of using dunyain.  I do feel that ability to perceive the logos would lead to potentially more powerful animata, however I think that using one of the few might yield more efficient results.

Tangentially, the dunyain pretty much strive to be 'living animata'.  Beyond their mission, any "perfect" dunyain should follow the shortest path i.e. perceive the world as it truly is and thus see the onta, and act in a purely mechanical fashion according to the principles of logos.

Speculation: If Mog is viewed as a weapon of animata constructed from 144k broken souls and poised to upend the existing metaphysics of Earwa, perhaps Kellhus could be viewed as a weapon of animata constructed from a single unbreakable soul to oppose him.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 02:42:22 pm »
Speculation: If Mog is viewed as a weapon of animata constructed from 144k broken souls and poised to upend the existing metaphysics of Earwa, perhaps Kellhus could be viewed as a weapon of animata constructed from a single unbreakable soul to oppose him.
Then by extension, The Great Ordeal that surrounds him is as mindless and expendable as No-God's army of soulless sranc. To Kellhus, a soul that can be broken is the same as not having a soul at all.

It just struck me how similar Mog, standing in the middle of his gibbering multitudes of sranc, looks like Kellhus, standing in the middle of his psalm singing men of the cross circumfix. Not to mention that they both can, more or less, mind control all of their followers.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:18:17 pm by Wilshire »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 12:52:03 pm »
Lol, maybe those are the comparisons Bakker is going for. Strikes me as fairly obvious once you've written it.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 01:20:11 pm »
Yeah I almost felt silly writing it for that very reason, but I don't believe someone has written down outright so there you go.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 05:18:00 pm »
Once you wrote it, it clicked, I can't believe none of us have thought of that before.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 06:45:46 pm »
Back to the subject of the post:  the great tubular bell of the interval is actually a cannon.  Every time they ring the interval, it's collecting souls.  By the time they reach Golgotterath, Kellhus is gonna smack it on the ass and it'll go off like a gigantic Roman candle, fire hundreds of thousands of souls straight at the Ark.  Kablooooie!  Done.  Best anti-climactic ending ever.
No whistling on the slog!

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 11:44:39 pm »
Back to the subject of the post:  the great tubular bell of the interval is actually a cannon.  Every time they ring the interval, it's collecting souls.  By the time they reach Golgotterath, Kellhus is gonna smack it on the ass and it'll go off like a gigantic Roman candle, fire hundreds of thousands of souls straight at the Ark.  Kablooooie!  Done.  Best anti-climactic ending ever.

I should wait before I write something I think is funny, cuz it's usually not.  But seriously, though, it could be a soul cannon.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 12:20:20 am »
lol I laughed.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 01:06:27 am »
Wait.  I re-read what I wrote.  It was pretty funny cuz I laughed again.  Right on, Wilshire, you and me, buddy!

Cüréthañ

• Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 01:07:11 am »
 8)

Consult gets quietly ensouled to death.  Off screen.  Without explanation, beyond the bell ringing and Kellhus saying something inscrutable.
Sounds legit.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 02:12:07 pm »
I laughed, Somnambulist. Again when the next post was you questioning your humour ;).

I feel like it'd be cool if Bakker got into a sorcerous golems (though essentially, the Consult creatures fit that bill).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer