[TUC Spoiler] How was Dagliash a give-away for Kellhus?

• 22 Replies

codebread

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: July 30, 2017, 03:48:47 am »
Maybe this one just went over my head, but how did the Scalding confirm that the Dunyain had taken over the Consult? Kellhus mentions it while talking with the Mutilated, but I don't see the connection.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 04:37:31 am »
Probably the use of a nuke. Inferred it from that.

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 05:15:48 am »
Their ability to resurrect the Tenke, via a nuke.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 09:57:14 am »
And the use of the nuke giving a fucking damn about their own horde.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 03:20:15 pm »
Kellhus might have inferred an increasing rate of innovation by the Consult as far back as the unprecedented Sayothi Skin-Spy as far back as TJE?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Spooky

• Emwama
  • An Echo Made Manifest
    • View Profile
    • In Pursuit of Perception
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 03:35:20 pm »
If he somehow, because Dunyain Fantasy, Kellhus internalized within the few seconds of exposure to the nuke its entire implications as a weapon (and therefore would extrapolate industrial capacity required, which is so immense that modern nation states find it challenging) then hes probably deep-diving some universal-truth-under-consciousness and therefore would know that he's lost.

If you can pull off nuclear restoration/enrichment then you can much more easily nail concepts like Production Lines and Mass-Manufacturing and apply that to your slave horde.

Nevermind that none of that makes a lick of sense, IF it happened it would probably cause Kellnus to get desperate enough to make a deal with the devil, intentionally, as its probably his only shot at winning.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 05:15:41 pm »
They "restored" the nuke they didn't need to create any centrifuges or heavy water plants, find some U235 etc. It's quoted in the book.

Kellhus is also mad.

Could be anything he saw, maybe the display used certain maths that reminded him of the maths cut into the thousand thousand halls.

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 05:48:37 pm »
Slightly off-topic.  If they were going to put Kellhus in the Sarcophagus, on the assumption that he is the No-God (something which the Mutilated do state specifically in the Golden Room chapter), then why were they also trying to nuke him?
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 05:52:16 pm »
They were covering all the possibilities.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

codebread

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 01:54:26 am »
We can only speculate, then. I wasn't sure if it was a clear answer that I simply missed. I tend to agree with Madness that the sudden increase in the Consult's Tekne efficiency is the likely cause.

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 06:07:29 am »
Maybe also from the quote we get from Aurang at Dagliash about the days being new "and far shorter than the old"? The quote did have me puzzled every time... This could explain.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:12:40 am by Monkhound »
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 10:22:25 am »
Kellhuss knew about the effects of the nuke because they had been used against the Nonmen and he had read the accounts of the Isuphiryas
The world holds no terrors for me, I stand naked as the falling sword, I am the Terror.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 11:01:48 am »
Maybe also from the quote we get from Aurang at Dagliash about the days being new "and far shorter than the old"? The quote did have me puzzled every time... This could explain.

The quote means the end of the world is nigh. 

As for the change in strategy (remember, he is already considering the possibility of Dunyain involvement in the Consult) the marked departure at Daglaish is the reliance on devices contrived by the Tekne as opposed to the cannon fodder slave races.  The Consult's previous tactics have revolved around the Weapon Races doing the heavy lifting.  In this case the Weapon Races are the distraction.

As for killing him, the Consult know he can teleport and has metagnostic wards as well as believing that him becoming the No-God is inevitable.  Even if he does die it works out for them as his army and empire will be struck a severe blow and they can try to seize one of his children to feed the Sarcophagus.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 11:05:30 am »
Slightly off-topic.  If they were going to put Kellhus in the Sarcophagus, on the assumption that he is the No-God (something which the Mutilated do state specifically in the Golden Room chapter), then why were they also trying to nuke him?

Pretty sure they knew full well that there was almost no chance it would actually kill Kellhus.  That trap for for the Ordeal itself, really.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 01:44:32 pm »
It's also axiomatic that the Ordeal would succumb to eating Sranc apparently. The Scalded are a small portion of the Ordeal.

The Nuke is to take out the Horde after they do what damage they can to the Ordeal.

Which is decidedly a Dunyain observation and response.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer