[TUC Spoilers] Shauriatas

• 107 Replies

Baztek

• Momurai
  • Aleph Jester
  • "We are all of us brothers. Read these."
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2017, 05:53:28 pm »
So with how evasive Scott's been it's p much guaranteed Shae is in the Mutilated. I hated the Dunyain fedora tippin' their way into the Consult twist probably the most out of anyone here, so I'm glad I'm wrong, though it's still a dumb "gotcha!" that really sucks the wind out of the sails of the one book in the series titled The Unholy fuckin' Consult

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2017, 05:56:30 pm »
It's still a significant change if they're both the Dunyain and Shauriatas. Also kind of makes Shauriatas a bizarre mirror of Seswatha.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2017, 06:48:42 pm »
Do we know the fate of Shauriatis? The Mangaecca, on the other hand, died out a long time ago.
Ok guys I'm starting to believe now. Still not entirely convinced he's cycling through the mutilated, but I definitely think we haven't seen the last of the Archidemu.

stuslayer

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2017, 06:49:27 pm »
I wonder if the Mutilated are like Shae's horcruxes. He split his soul between them making him harder to kill, and at the same time put them under Compulsion which, if memory serves, means that the subject of the Compulsion cannot tell the difference between his own thoughts and the things he is Compelled to do/say. So the Mutilated would believe that they had taken the Consult over, when actually it's the opposite, and they are there to sustain Shae until NG shuts the world...

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2017, 07:04:52 pm »
What happened to the Maengaecca?

jurble

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2017, 07:13:03 pm »
Nothing, they just died of old age presumably.  Kalbear makes an interesting observation that the meeting the Golden Room is really just the same set-up as in the False Sun.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2017, 07:25:04 pm »
So they saw no utility in recruiting more human sorcerers? Plus I figured, y'know, they can make immortal skin-spies, so it was entirely possible they could preserve people better now.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2017, 07:32:09 pm »
Maybe the relation Shauriatis and the Mutilated is some kind of symbiosis, rather than parasitism.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2017, 08:47:49 pm »
Shae has actually resorted to a couple of different ways to mummify his soul. Some of the Mangaecca were able to hold on for quite some time, the way I've seen it.
What did we miss?

Asmodeus van Yakshas

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2017, 10:42:22 pm »
So they saw no utility in recruiting more human sorcerers? Plus I figured, y'know, they can make immortal skin-spies, so it was entirely possible they could preserve people better now.

Well, how could they? The North is a barren wasteland and the rest of the world fears and hates the Consult. And it's not common knowledge what their goal was with genocide and the No-God, to any sorcerer of the Three Seas thinking if joining the Consult would be insane plus that everyone except the Mandate thought them dead.

Long before TUC I thought that the Consult we would meet would be much reduced compared to what they were during the apocalypse. The war made the North a barren wasteland, so where would the Consult find recruits and resources? Sranc are no engineers, and even if Shauritas managed to keep his soul from Hell it is not as if he is any position to do any actual work/research. That leaves the Consult with increasingly insane Erratics as their main force.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2017, 03:34:43 am »
They had actual agents in the Three Seas as recently as 300 years ago. Cutting all ties and going completely dark was a chosen stratagem, not something necessary. When you have people like Iyokus willingly dealing with demons for temporal power, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to seduce new talent.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2017, 09:03:03 am »
So with how evasive Scott's been it's p much guaranteed Shae is in the Mutilated. I hated the Dunyain fedora tippin' their way into the Consult twist probably the most out of anyone here, so I'm glad I'm wrong, though it's still a dumb "gotcha!" that really sucks the wind out of the sails of the one book in the series titled The Unholy fuckin' Consult
There is still a problem with Kellhus closely scrutinizing the Dunsult and seeing them as Dunyain. He pretty much should've seen inconsistencies in their behavior if they were Compelled or under unusual strain (like sharing Shauriatas's soul among them). For example, Kellhus was able to see the illusion of Shauriatas as an illusion without ever meeting him.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2017, 02:48:23 pm »
Kellhus is in entirely new ground, gradually being possessed by Ajokli, and any inconsistencies with these Dunyain could come down to their injuries, both mental and physical.

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2017, 02:53:54 pm »
Kellhus is in entirely new ground, gradually being possessed by Ajokli, and any inconsistencies with these Dunyain could come down to their injuries, both mental and physical.
By that logic we should take as unconfirmed everything said by the Mutilated, which includes things like the origins of the Inchoroi.

Right now it all can be viewed as true only because they are saying it to Kellhus, and he should be able to recognize deception since he's their equal. Take that away, and then only "the crash space", as Bakker calls it, remains. With no information whatsoever. That's my take on it at this point.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2017, 03:16:23 pm »
It is unconfirmed. We never actually see any of this. There's no reason to suspect it's authenticity though. What would be the utility of lying about the origin of the Inchoroi for them?