[TUC Spoilers] Ranking the books after TUC

• 21 Replies

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 07:11:48 am »
I totally agree with you that the last sentence of TUC is a masterpiece, it has for me some classic resonances, like of The mask of the Red Death last words, for example.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 07:25:28 am »
To spare my brethren page flippage:

So did the Great Ordeal of Anasûrimbor Kellhus perish in salt and butchery.

Bakker, R. Scott. The Unholy Consult: Book Four of the Aspect-Emperor series (Aspect Emperor 4) (Kindle Locations 8250-8251). Little, Brown Book Group. Kindle Edition.

I like TTT's final sentence more.

(Psst; it's my sig.)
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Moosehunter

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 10:45:45 am »
The original series as a whole is still unparalleled imho. However.

TWP
TTT
TWLW
TDTCB
TGO
TUC
TJE

Swayal Serpent

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 08:32:06 pm »

Bakker, R. Scott. The Unholy Consult: Book Four of the Aspect-Emperor series (Aspect Emperor 4) (Kindle Locations 8250-8251). Little, Brown Book Group. Kindle Edition.

(Psst; it's my sig.)

Absolutely, the TTT ending is flawless, and the final sentence still brings a tear to my eye

[EDIT Madness: Fixed a quote tag.]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:26:07 pm by Madness »

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 11:25:42 pm »
1.TTT
2.TWLW
3 (TIE).TDCB/Judging Eye
4.The Warrior Prophet/The Great Ordeal

I need to let my thoughts settle before I know how to rank the most recent book. In general I feel Prince of Nothing is a better constructed series as a whole than Aspect Emperor, but some of the highs of Aspect Emperor are fundamentally different than in Prince of Nothing.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 07:48:38 pm »
To spare my brethren page flippage:

(Psst; it's my sig.)

Most of the books have a pretty great final line. TUC's is not the best, and TTT also remains my favorite.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:05:44 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Likaro

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 08:10:25 pm »
I reread the whole series before the Unholy Consult came out in preparation, so its somewhat fresh in my mind.

The first trilogy is definitely an easier read, much more friendly on the reader, and more in line with other fantasy books.  The vagueness, Bakkerism's, and purple prose sky rocketed in the AE, and while I still loved the series - they are notably different in tone. I also felt the Momemn chapters were more of a chore to read in the AE, the original trilogy has no chapters that feel like a slog to get through.

1. The Warrior Prophet - a lot happens in this one, we have many great moments and epic battle scenes. Still think this is the peak. It also has a soul-crushing ending almost as bleak as TUC.

2.  The Darkness that comes before- Still think that this one is under rated. I did not find it a difficult barrier to the series (unlike many people apparently), in fact its what got me hooked like the first time I took a hit of chanv. I think its a great set up book.

3. TUC- still processing but Bakker did bring the ruckus. I'm not sure if the G-String did in fact fly across the room or not. A lot depends on what happens next, that will move this one up or down depending on the NG books.

4. The Thousand Fold Thought. The final battle and conversation with Big Moe are awesome. But the book feels a little short and there is a stretch of dullness in the middle part. The final scene is awesome and perfect.

5. The Great Ordeal - this one doesn't seem to get the love but I really enjoyed the Ishterebinth storyline (batshit madness) and the Dagliash battle . Ishual and Koringhus to confuse the shit outta us

6. Judging Eye- Good set up book for the new trilogy but was kind of short. Cil-Aujas was awesome except for the extreme Bakkerism of the ending sequence.

7. White Luck Warrior - Not a bad book by any means but feels less distinct for me in terms of what happens.